The Ninjawarriors Once Again

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

The Ninjawarriors Once Again

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Official trailer is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zv0P6A_VuA

A true homage to the SNES game, The Ninjawarriors Once Again is looking damn fine. It appears to be done mostly by the same Natsume team of that time, and looks spot-on.

2-player co-op has been added, as well as some new characters. Curious to see what others here think of this.
Last edited by dunpeal2064 on Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
waipowrectdeapr1976

Re: The Ninjawarriors Once Again

Post by waipowrectdeapr1976 »

Looks good.

I was just thinking now that "Once again" is such a silly name. Has to be a "lost in translation" thing. It's not really the kind of title and English-speaking person would put on a game.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

It's more than likely an accurate name. The SNES game is called "The Ninjawarriors Again" after all. :lol: Seems an appropriate title to follow up with.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Awesome! This looks amazing! I was expecting the graphics to be all like Double Dragon Neon or something similar, but I was very (happily) surprised! I'd day-1 buy this! I wonder if it'll have a physical release or not.

So I'm pretty sure there was an old arcade game called Ninja Warriors, which was remade for the Super Famicom and called Ninja Warriors Again. But the NA SNES release was titled simply The Ninja Warriors.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

There was a 2-screen Taito arcade game called The Ninjawarriors, which did recieve a port to the Sega CD. The SFC game is a sequel exclusive to the console by Natsume.

Does seem to be a common misconception, though, most likely due to the name change on the SNES release, plus the original game not being played by as many people. Seems similar to the Super GnG confusion, as many seem to think that is also a port of GnG, rather than its own unique game.

The Sega CD port of the original Ninjawarriors is well worth checking out though, at the very least to hear the Stage 1 BGM "Daddy Mulk". Its a pretty fun game, too, though imo it doesn't hold a candle to TNWA's excellence.
marurun

Post by marurun »

PC Engine also had a pretty good port of the original Ninjawarriors. But in a lot of ways it was a very simplistic game.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

For anyone curious, this video shows all three versions of the game (Arcade, PCE, MCD) side by side. It also splits the audio of the ports between each ear, which is cool if you have headphones, as you can swap between them.

I agree, the PCE port isn't bad at all. Being such a simple game, though, I only really tend to visit it for those sweet Zuntata tunes, so the CD release ends up being my go-to. The PCE tunes are still pretty nice, though!

Contrary to that, The Ninjawarriors Again is more than worth playing, it vastly improves on Taito's original.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

The SNES game was by far one of my favorites during the TR Beat Em' Ups month earlier this year and I love your enthusiasm for it dunpeal, heh.

I'm definitely pretty excited for this version. It's also making me realize the Switch is getting more stuff like this lately and tons of Neo-Geo/shmup support... I think a thread dedicated to Switch exclusive classic ports/sequels/remakes could be awesome. I wouldn't know where to start though and I imagine the eshop is already hard to navigate with a flood of stuff.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I wasn't sure what to expect, but I am impressed with how close this looks to the earlier Ninjawarriors. It seems the aesthetic has been nailed. Is it Switch only? I'd be happy to play it on Steam with buddies on a Thursday night.