PS2 Mod 2016-19: USB & HDD Loading, PS1 via POPS, Emus

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: PS2 Mod 2016-17: USB & HDD Loading, PS1 via USB POPS, Em

Post by Sarge »

I never knew about overheating with the XBOX. I've never actually had it happen before. Could be that later revisions have less issues. I've got a 1.1 that still runs like a champ, and I think all my backup systems are 1.6s.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Yeahhhh I worry about those 10 year old caps. The time one especially.

Sarge wrote:I never knew about overheating with the XBOX. I've never actually had it happen before. Could be that later revisions have less issues. I've got a 1.1 that still runs like a champ, and I think all my backup systems are 1.6s.

Yeah those early revisons have a second fan, directly on the GPU. They removed those so looks like they started running cooler.

My current modded oXbox was basically DOA. Red ringed after about 10 minutes of gameplay. I noticed it smelling very hot. The OEM fan was dead. I just went ahead and cut out the RF shield back there to increase ventilation & added a larger fan (link with pics in signature). Runs like a champ now. It does require some serious dremmel sawing of exisiting parts.

My Retro Achievements | Games Beaten 2023 & 2024 |
xJAGOx = Xbox Gamertag | Console Mods
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

It could very well be that's what nuked my first refurb XBOX. I think that was a 1.0. I scavenged the terrible, but sorta-functional, DVD drive to make another system work.
rattboi
24-bit

Post by rattboi »

Just wanted to jump on here, as I've recently been working on this myself.

I had a soft-modded PS2 slim for quite a while, and was trying to do OPL + SMB network ISOs. It works ok, but not amazingly. Games sometimes freeze, especially around loading. It just wasn't cutting it, so I bought a "broken" phat PS2 on ebay. It was supposedly broken laser, but I wasn't worried about that, as I was planning on just using Ethernet to move ISOs + HDD for storage.

I received the phat PS2 a few days ago, and haven't had a lot of time to spend on it, but I was able to confirm that the PS2 works, Free McBoot works, the network adapter works, and the PS2 sees the HDD. I used uLaunchELF to format the HDD, but had no games to load onto it.

I was surprised to find that there's no usb->hdd installer for directly on the PS2. I went on a trip and brought the PS2 setup, but had no ethernet + games to move anything, so I experimented with POPStarter, and was able to run the PS1 game Loaded via usb stick.

I bought a PS2 game on my trip for $5 (Red Faction), and surprisingly, the PS2 was able to read it. I used HDLGameInstaller(?) to rip the game onto the PS2 HDD. It worked on first try via OPL! Very cool.

I'm curious if anyone has tried using HDD-OSD instead of OPL, although it seems that OPL compatibility is better. I have FMCB boot directly to OPL, and that seems to be a good system. I haven't figured out the right tools to install PS2 isos over ethernet yet, as I haven't been able to play with it at home. I think I read that there's something in OPL to actually do the network install? Some HDL server mode?

Anyways, I was able to learn a lot from this thread, and I'll post about any more developments. I'm hoping to get further with POPStarter, maybe moved to HDD. I like the idea that everything is ready to go. I may also try the FHDB exploit instead, that way I don't even require the memory card. Pros/Cons to that? I have no idea.

I'm doing my best to avoid getting a usb->ide adapter for the PC, as I just don't have one and I'm trying to use what I already have. I know it'd be a lot faster for transfers via WinHIIP, but I don't mind moving over the network. I'm hoping I can just queue them up and they move over in the night or something.

Anyways, thanks again!
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

rattboi wrote:Just wanted to jump on here, as I've recently been working on this myself.

I had a soft-modded PS2 slim for quite a while, and was trying to do OPL + SMB network ISOs. It works ok, but not amazingly. Games sometimes freeze, especially around loading. It just wasn't cutting it, so I bought a "broken" phat PS2 on ebay. It was supposedly broken laser, but I wasn't worried about that, as I was planning on just using Ethernet to move ISOs + HDD for storage.

I received the phat PS2 a few days ago, and haven't had a lot of time to spend on it, but I was able to confirm that the PS2 works, Free McBoot works, the network adapter works, and the PS2 sees the HDD. I used uLaunchELF to format the HDD, but had no games to load onto it.

I was surprised to find that there's no usb->hdd installer for directly on the PS2. I went on a trip and brought the PS2 setup, but had no ethernet + games to move anything, so I experimented with POPStarter, and was able to run the PS1 game Loaded via usb stick.

I bought a PS2 game on my trip for $5 (Red Faction), and surprisingly, the PS2 was able to read it. I used HDLGameInstaller(?) to rip the game onto the PS2 HDD. It worked on first try via OPL! Very cool.

I'm curious if anyone has tried using HDD-OSD instead of OPL, although it seems that OPL compatibility is better. I have FMCB boot directly to OPL, and that seems to be a good system. I haven't figured out the right tools to install PS2 isos over ethernet yet, as I haven't been able to play with it at home. I think I read that there's something in OPL to actually do the network install? Some HDL server mode?

Anyways, I was able to learn a lot from this thread, and I'll post about any more developments. I'm hoping to get further with POPStarter, maybe moved to HDD. I like the idea that everything is ready to go. I may also try the FHDB exploit instead, that way I don't even require the memory card. Pros/Cons to that? I have no idea.

I'm doing my best to avoid getting a usb->ide adapter for the PC, as I just don't have one and I'm trying to use what I already have. I know it'd be a lot faster for transfers via WinHIIP, but I don't mind moving over the network. I'm hoping I can just queue them up and they move over in the night or something.

Anyways, thanks again!

Alrighttt. Happy this thread helped you out. That makes 3 of us now who got PS1 working from POPS!

Reportedly the Raspberry pi option for SMB I mention in the thread below seems to work better. It's a cool option but because I have the HDD working, I'll likely won't try. Seems to be the best option for a Slim though.

HDD > SMB via RPi3 > SMB over LAN > USB 1.0

Thread: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=50849

I also ripped one game from the PS2 CD tray with HDLoader to test it. It's slow... slow, but cool it's an option. Ziggy & nightrnr got FTP via ethernet working earlier in this thread via the HDLdump program. All these programs seem to use a universal file organization method. For example, if you'very been using HDLoader, you can just switch to OPL. No restructuring required. It seems WinHIIP & HDLDump put the files in the correct folders. Someone with more PS2 FTP experience might correct me there.

Loading from IDE to USB, you'll get roughly 10mbps transfer speeds. The guys were getting roughly 3 to 4 mbps over ethernet FTP. So IDE is roughly 3xs faster. Also worth noting WinHIIP let's you rename .bin to .iso while apparently the FTP programs out there can have issues with transferring those CD titles. Weird quirk.

Due to the easily removable PS2 HDD, it seemed the scene never really developed much for FTP. Not many folks were using it. On the other hand, FTP on the oXbox mods is the norm & it's very streamlined.

I may still tackle PS2 FTP one day, but the IDE to USB isn't bad at all. Just move games over in bulk. You can get one off Amazon for ~$15.

Keep in mind POPS actually looked to be a tad more compatible via USB than HDD. Assembler Games is still down so not sure if that compatibility chart is still out there. There were a few exception titles. One of those being Duke Nukem Total Melt Down which only worked from HDD. You'll also have to partition the HDD to run both OPL & POPS, or get a second PS1 dedicated HDD.

You have me wanting to break out my modded PS2 tonight!

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

@nightrnr,

Okay, I ended up with 3 80GB IDE drives for free from work. Saved them from PCs hitting the recycle bin. I'm going to have at least one be my PS1 POPS drive.

Any special tips?

Assuming I format HDD as PS2 with WINHIIP so PS2 will recognize it, then create POPS file structure in the same manner you do for USB, then boot PS1 digital .elf off HDD from within ulaunch?

Just making sure I'm not missing anything like a necessary HDD file, etc. I linked 2 videos in OP but it's been while since I watched, they're long, & it's late. Really unfortunate Assembler Games, and in turn the POPS thread, is down. Thanks for the help 8).

My main OPL HDD is 200GB, trying to decide how I can break up my digital PS1 & PS2 with that HDD & my new 3...

nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Okay, forget how you do it via usb. It's similar, but different.

You will need to run a special version of ulaunch called "ule_kHn.ELF"

You then need to go into Hddmanager with that version of ulaunch to create the needed partitions and name one "__.POPS" (that's 2 underscores), and the other "__common", if you don't already have that partition.

The "__.POPS" partition is where you put your vcd images. In "__.common" you will have a "POPS" folder which will contain the HDD specific files (I think different than the usb ones) "POPS.ELF", "POPSTARTER.ELF" and "IOPRP252.ING" (plus all your virtual memory cards, created when you 1st launch each game).

After the files are in place, with that kHn version of ulaunch you can run VCD images directly, no special naming needed.

It's pretty nifty.
Unfortunately, I don't have a link to the downloads at the moment. I can upload them to a hosting site if you need, but I think I provided the means for a fruitful search.

Either way, I'll try to find a link when I get back on my PC (posting from phone right now).

I still haven't gotten around to running it via OPL yet. Not sure if I care, as I like to keep my PS2 and PS1 games separated.

--EDIT--
PM'ed, do with it what you will, and be careful what you link. :wink:
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Man, great info. I was going the wrong way.

Simple question... refresh my memory here as my FMBC mem card came preloaded with UlanchELF (v 4.42e_HDD). I'll put the new khn ulaunch .elf in MCO/memory card app folder where standard ulaunch currently sits (titled boot IIRC) .

I have standard ulaunch as a menu option on my startup screen. That is how I launch it. How will I boot the new khn one. Can I boot khn ulaunch from within standard ulaunch? Do I need to set up some kind of hot key button mapping for a cold boot or just make it a main menu option? The later I can do quickly.

Essentially, Do I need to replace standard ulaunch & go back & forth between versions as needed or can they exist together on the same mem card? Then, what's the best way to respectively boot them if they can "live together."

Also, how are you moving PS1 games to the HDD? Do you have transfer from USB to HDD within ulaunch? IIRC the PC will recognize PS2 formatted HDDs & partitions in disc mamager, but you can't drag & drop anything hence the use of WINHIIP for PS2.

Well, my living room TV went out after 9 years of frequent use & 4 moves. The gameroom TV got moved downstairs temporarily & is now a kiddo cartoon TV :lol: so I'm not able to test & tinker temporarily until that's sorted out. I'd normally do some additional testing before asking.

Same here, while the novelty of booting POPS from OPL is cool, I plan to have dedicated, separate HDDs for PS1 & PS2.

THANK YOU! This will be a fun addition to the projet I started 10 months ago :shock:. Maybe my last addition until new versions of OPL & POPS come out.

nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

Well, you can do pretty much anything you want with ulaunch, either version:
Option 1. Run it through your existing ulaunch (what I do), yes they can coexist and you can keep switching between the 2 running one from the other; they can boot each other, it's just an elf program to them (or rather they are both just elf programs)
Option 2. Replace your ulaunch "boot.elf" with the kHn version, but be careful to rename it the same so that you're not locked out (maybe don't do this, but would work; kHn does do more than the standard ulaunch, but ALWAYS checks/boots the HDD, which I don't like-- sometimes I just want to run usb
Option 3. Create another boot menu to run kHn (a good choice), but keep the kHn elf on the memory card if at all possible (doesn't always like to boot otherwise)

As for getting the VCD's on the HDD, one of the files I linked you has an ftp program. I have to figure out the process every time I do it, but it's actually pretty simple. Something like: run ulaunch, set up network, run PC program, then re-check network on ulaunch (more or less). There should be a readme or something, but I can help if needed (posting from phone atm).
Yes, you can copy via USB, and should to set up the other files, but the VCD's just take so long. And unless you want all the games on USB as well, you will be wasting a lot of flash space.

Sucks about your TV. I'd just go to a thrift store and pick up another for cheap.
I'm all about CRT's until they all die out. S-video interlace signals is more than adequate for my PS2 needs (although I will mess with GSM OPL and widescreen patches one day).

Sorry that I'm long winded, but hope that helps. I may clarify the ftp the next time I do the process myself.
...just another lost soul...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Got it. All makes perfect sense. Thanks. I'll likely create a menu shortcut for khn ulaunch, along side standard ulaunch.

I'll probably try a couple transfers from USB to HDD to get started & testing, but will likely try out the FTP method. Okay... maybe this project will never end :lol:

I've tinkered a tiny bit with GSM as its in the game options along with modes, etc in the newest version of OPL. I was trying to get a HD game to run off HDD but I didn't dig in enough. The forced widescreen with forced progressive gets crazy depending on title & multiple methods. Here's two interesting related RB threads I need to read again:

Widescreen PS2 games w/Codebreaker![Real 16:9/not stretched]

Optimizing PS2 games to 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv

Okay, gameroom TV is back. I picked up a Vizio 4K for the living room. The inputs on that thing are a reminder I need a Framemeister. Another involved project for another day...

With my TV back in play, I can try out some POPS via HDD next weekend or a late night this week. To be continued...