Have you given up on buying SNES?/Cheap SFC recommendations

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Re: Have you given up on buying SNES games?

Post by Erik_Twice »

Yes and no. I have simply decided to buy Super Famicom games instead, because it's the only reasonable way to get a good boxed price.

I can buy F-Zero, like new for around 20€. Here it would run me for like 55€ and the box would be damaged and crummy.

And I better be quick, because these historically high prices will only continue to rise as people realize that you don't need to understand the text on most SNES games to have fun with them.

Betagam7 wrote:Do you guys ever see the prices settling back down to what they once were?

Prices are never going down.

The thing is, retrogaming was ridiculously cheap. People were buying complete, working arcade machines for 100 dollars a couple years ago and you could buy Neo Geo games by the truckload. People simply did not know old games had any worth, demand was low and those lucky, knowledgeable few that were interested in them had very little purcharsing power.

Nothing related to gaming is going to be low in price for long and as time goes on and gamers dig deeper into retro, prices will go up. A few years ago, something as niche a professional monitors went for 50 bucks, in a year they'll be the hottest retrogaming thing, every repair shop will have been raided and you won't find them for less than 300.

So if you want Phantasy Star, Shining Force or Contra, bite the bullet now because the prices in some time will be insane. I few years ago, I passed Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance for 30€ because the manual was crumpled, now it's over 130. It will happen to any game worth playing that had a moderate print run, so better check them out now.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

samsonlonghair wrote:Compare the price of retro video games on VGPC's timeline to the timeline of the housing market crash and financial recession.
https://www.pricecharting.com/page/price-index-details

I wish that first chart went back to 2001 or so.

People's incomes / commodity ownership rising certainly could have added to the cost of retro game prices since 2009 or so. But one thing we have to extrapolate onto that chart, was the sudden rise of Youtube gaming channels with people showcasing retro video games to the masses. This was a big and continuous piece of exposure for classic gaming. I am certain Youtube gaming channels had an increasing effect on the cost of retro video game prices in the past six or seven years.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Exhuminator wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:Compare the price of retro video games on VGPC's timeline to the timeline of the housing market crash and financial recession.
https://www.pricecharting.com/page/price-index-details

I wish that first chart went back to 2001 or so.

People's incomes / commodity ownership rising certainly could have added to the cost of retro game prices since 2009 or so. But one thing we have to extrapolate onto that chart, was the sudden rise of Youtube gaming channels with people showcasing retro video games to the masses. This was a big and continuous piece of exposure for classic gaming. I am certain Youtube gaming channels had an increasing effect on the cost of retro video game prices in the past six or seven years.

I wish VGPC records went back farther too, but we have the data we have. That's why I compared prices against the recession. Those are the years we can see.

As for youtube, I can see your point. Shows like Classic Game Room and Gamesack helped spread an interest in retro video games, but I think the overall economy had a bigger impact. Folks cannot buy video games when they cannot pay their electric bill after all.
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

I had a good collection of SNES games, many boxed.

Decided to sell them as they are worth some decent money.

Still got many on ebay for sale though.

Playing SNES more than did before which is positive, however via emulation; can play SNES games happily on PC with a SNES clone USB controller; and is more convenient.

Some systems like N64 are not well emulated, SNES is fine after all (and several others). So, makes sense.
I am the Bacman
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I'd be lying out my ass if I said Classic Game Room and Angry Video Game Nerd aren't 90% of the reason that I started collecting.
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Post by swiftzx »

This is the reason I collect for the genesis.
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Erik_Twice wrote:Yes and no. I have simply decided to buy Super Famicom games instead, because it's the only reasonable way to get a good boxed price.

I've started looking more into SFC games too for similar reasons. I've not been buying western released games though. I've been hunting out obscure games that are still fun and fresh but that didn't gt a release over here. So far I've found several under $5 that have given me good entertainment.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Betagam7 wrote:
Erik_Twice wrote:Yes and no. I have simply decided to buy Super Famicom games instead, because it's the only reasonable way to get a good boxed price.

I've started looking more into SFC games too for similar reasons. I've not been buying western released games though. I've been hunting out obscure games that are still fun and fresh but that didn't gt a release over here. So far I've found several under $5 that have given me good entertainment.

Feel free to drop some recommendations, especially those that either don't require knowledge of Japanese to enjoy or have English translation patches (since I have a Retron 5). I've been wanting to get into Super Famicom collecting, but all I've got are two of the three Fire Emblems (still trying to find a sale for Thracia 776 that I can afford).
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Get Gundam Wing Endless Duel for some awesome SFC fighting goodness.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Hazerd
Next-Gen

Post by Hazerd »

Short answer Yes, long answer No, i dont go hunting, but if i a SNES game with the right price was presented i would buy it.

Pretty much still want these games, although if they are over $100, at this point ill pass.

Castlevania Dracula X
Mega Man X2, X3
Harvest Moon
Earthbound

As for games that are still somewhat cheap, i need

Super Ghouls n Ghosts
Knights of the Round
Mega Man Soccer

There's probably a few more, but this is about it. 8)