Japan's 20th Pokemon 2DS--How am I going to make this work?

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
Ziggy

Re: Japan's 20th Pokemon 2DS--How am I going to make this wo

Post by Ziggy »

Beak wrote:Image

Wow, that totally reminds me of the Yomega X-Brain.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Ziggy587 wrote:
Beak wrote:Image

Wow, that totally reminds me of the Yomega X-Brain.

Illuminati confirmed.
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Tanooki wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:
Tanooki wrote:It also has no power saving mode on 2DS.

If you're talking about putting it to sleep without turning it off, the 2DS does support that:

Nope there's another power saving feature the 3DS has, I knew it had the sleep switch. Trust me at one point I was tempted to buy the thing with no news of a New3DS even being made, and me pissed the 3D didn't work right, I was looking to switch out and pouch the system since I don't take it much anywhere anyway. Once I saw the short list of the changes I didn't get it.

Oh you're talking about that feature where the brightness of the screen auto adjusts itself based on the image being displayed. I can see where that's a benefit if you're worried about battery life elongation. Personally I found that feature annoying so its exclusion from the 2DS wasn't a thing for me.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Beak
64-bit

Post by Beak »

Ziggy587 wrote:Image

God, you're right.
Beak
64-bit

Post by Beak »

So it seems like thoughts are mixed, but more so because the 3DS is better, but not that the 2DS is bad.

Blu wrote:How about the whole bit about region locking and/or playing all your games in Japanese?

Any more thoughts on this? Do those of you who get the Japanese versions just plan on having two systems for each region? I hate redundancy. I love how I can play all my Japanese GBA and N64 (with a little modding) titles on my NTSC consoles. Surely there will be a 3rd party patch that will allow permanently unlocking the 2DS at some point?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Beak wrote:So it seems like thoughts are mixed, but more so because the 3DS is better, but not that the 2DS is bad.

Blu wrote:How about the whole bit about region locking and/or playing all your games in Japanese?

Any more thoughts on this? Do those of you who get the Japanese versions just plan on having two systems for each region? I hate redundancy. I love how I can play all my Japanese GBA and N64 (with a little modding) titles on my NTSC consoles. Surely there will be a 3rd party patch that will allow permanently unlocking the 2DS at some point?

Speaking of region locking, I know there's been a Homebrew Channel project for the 3DS like there was for the Wii; does anyone know if there's been any success using HBC to break the region encoding on the 3DS?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I believe there is a working active crack out there that allows the system to be hacked to remove region locking, but at the same time I don't believe it's up to the same level as the current firmware. Of course that current one would be on those 2DS pokemon handhelds so you'd basically be screwed for some undetermined time.

Eventually it would be busted, it would open your options up quite a bit, but you'd have to be wary of 1st party published (definitely developed) games because Nintendo has a habit of sneaking updates that install for you on cards if you habitually leave the system offline and don't allow firmware updates.

I'd check around, see where the hack is at currently, get what you want then. And in the future read up on new game releases in those hacker sites to make sure X game doesn't wipe out your region broken setup and if it does, just don't buy it, at least until the fix the hack to a new revision.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Tanooki wrote:I believe there is a working active crack out there that allows the system to be hacked to remove region locking, but at the same time I don't believe it's up to the same level as the current firmware. Of course that current one would be on those 2DS pokemon handhelds so you'd basically be screwed for some undetermined time.

Eventually it would be busted, it would open your options up quite a bit, but you'd have to be wary of 1st party published (definitely developed) games because Nintendo has a habit of sneaking updates that install for you on cards if you habitually leave the system offline and don't allow firmware updates.

I'd check around, see where the hack is at currently, get what you want then. And in the future read up on new game releases in those hacker sites to make sure X game doesn't wipe out your region broken setup and if it does, just don't buy it, at least until the fix the hack to a new revision.

I'll probably just wait for a stable hack after the 3DS is replaced and discontinued and softmod my spare 3DS (I got a blue XY special edition 3DSXL before I got my New 3DSXL, so I have that one just sitting around) and keep my New 3DS nice and vanilla.