Homebrew worth playing?

Emu Talk Goes Here
Ziggy

Homebrew worth playing?

Post by Ziggy »

I'm making this as a sister thread to "ROM hacks worth playing?" In that thread, we all post about noteworthy ROM hacks that we come across. In the endless sea of ROM hacks that exist, it's a great way to filter the best ones and also be aware of ones that you would have otherwise missed.

I'd like to do the same for homebrew games, specifically for retro consoles.

I'll start with this...

Classic Kong (SNES) - http://www.romhacking.net/homebrew/62/

It's a recreation of the original Donkey Kong game for the SNES! It's not re-imagined, it's faithful to the original game. I've played v2.01 on real hardware and it plays great (no glitches that I noticed, doesn't lock up, etc). I think it could use minor polishing, but overall the game looks and plays great. The one thing I wish it had was SRAM backup of the high score, or a typical high scores list with initials.

Share what you think is worthwhile! And be sure to note (if you know) if it works on real harddware or not.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Re: Homebrew worth playing?

Post by Tanooki »

Classic Kong I agree with, and Piko Interactive actually sells that on a licensed cart by the maker of the homebrewer which is cool if you want it on a real system and not a ROM.''

That Assimilate game for the NES isn't too bad either, decent game play premise with a nice audio and visual design to make it pleasing to mess with for awhile. On the NES I think it's safe to say anyone who cares about this stuff would probably easily throw down a vote for either Battle Kid title even as sadistic as they are.
GrouchoGlasses
16-bit

Post by GrouchoGlasses »

I'm generally unsatisfied with homebrew games. They all seem distinctly lacking. These most people know about, but are by far the most professionally made. As such, these titles feel the most like fully fledged titles. No feeling like you're playing an amateur game here!

Sega Genesis (Dreamcast too)

Pier Solar

Dreamcast (Neo Geo too)

Gunlord
NEO XYX
Last Hope - Pink Bullets

Their site also shows Razion (released) and Kraut Buster (Winter 2015) for Neo-Geo. Again, the ability to play this is very dependent on your home setup.

Pier Solar comes from WaterMelon Games and is now on several platforms with an HD verson to boot!

A company called NG:Dev.Team is responsible for Gunlord and NEO XYX. Their primary focus is Neo Geo, but everything so far has received a good Dreamcast port. These are great to put on your MAME cabinet or play through Dreamcast.

If you are interested in 16 bit Homebrew there is another subest that are remakes for the PC. These are fantastic and feel just as professional as the above titles. The only downside is these can only be played on PC. I recommend giving them a try, as they are all programmed to work with any gamepad of your choice.

Super Mario Bros. X
Combines gameplay/powerups from SMB 1-3 and World. Excellent community with very easy to download "Episodes" (Worlds). All are very well done. The physics are a bit different than traditional SMB, but are great in their own right.

Metroid Confrontation
This is my favorite homebrew based on Super Metroid. Feels cleaner than the popular SNES hacks.

Castlevania 2 - Simon's Quest ReVamped
This is the only one I have yet to complete, but the into looks very promising.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsRRfGQf2m4

Streets of Rage Remake
Simply put, the best Streets of Rage game available.

Again, if you have a MAME cabinet

Fix It Felix Jr.
More of a novelty for me, but a great addition to a arcade cabinet. This is the same game seen in Disney's "Wreck it Ralph"

Donkey-ME
More of a hack than a homebrew, but it is Donkey Kong styel gameplay played as popular 80's franchise characters. (Indiana Jones, Flash Gordon, Star Wars, Conan, Total Recall, Big Trouble Little China, and a couple others)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0MK5kp_rZg

And a final note...

I'm being optimistic here, but the upcoming Mario Maker for Wii U has a strong potential for rendering all previous SMB homebrews obsolete. With the ability to play in SMB, SMB3, SM World, or HD Mario graphics and the fact that edited levels can be shared online, this could be a game changer. Imaging a properly made Super Mario Adventure or any of the other more popular Mario hacks without any of the silly inconveniences that come with hacked games.
avlon

Post by avlon »

The 3 Homebrews that I've played have all been pretty good.

Pier Solar (Genesis) by Watermelon Games
Water Margin (Genesis) by Piko Interactive
Oh Mummy! (Genesis) by 1985 Alternativo

I own the first 2, and am pretty happy with both purchases. The 3rd, I found out about too late, but the rom is offered for free by the developers themselves.

Definitely all worth checking out. :D
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I've never seen that third one, but I'll also vouch for the other two as the work that went into those Genesis games show some real appreciation and effort that they feel like they belong all along and very few homebrew ever hit that level of quality.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I've got a few favorites for some popular systems. I'm leaving out pirate cart dumps, tho if they count, I can revise this list. I'm also leaving out non-interactive tech demos...

Atari 2600

Halo 2600 impressive action-adventure
Medieval Mayhem - based on Warlords. A lot of fun multiplayer.
Tetris26 - a great playing port for the system.

NES

ChuChu Rocket - alpha version with no music, but plays great.
Rom City Rampage - Before Retro City Rampage development got moved to modern systems the creator worked a lot on making his game run on NES hardware.
Super Bat Puncher demo - short but really fun. Hope it gets worked on again.
Blade Buster - Impressive Shmup.
Tokumaru Ray Caster - Not a game really, but kinda fun and really impressive.

GB/GBC

Tyrian 2000 - Prettymuch completed but never published.
Willy Wonderworm - Uncle worm/pizza worm type game.
Sqrxz - Impressive high-color platformer. Kinda hard to control.
Deep Scan - Port of the arcade game in color.

GBA

I posted my favorites here.
I forgot to include ORN

Genesis

SMB4MD - Super Mario Bros. for NES ported over.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Anapan wrote:SMB4MD - Super Mario Bros. for NES ported over.

I was very disappointed when it didn't work on real hardware.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

New article up on RB showing off some Dreamcast homebrew...

http://www.racketboy.com/retro/sega/dre ... -on-living
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Ziggy587 wrote:
Anapan wrote:SMB4MD - Super Mario Bros. for NES ported over.

I was very disappointed when it didn't work on real hardware.

Works fine for me. You must have an old version.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Cool, I'll have to revisit it.