Together Retro: River City Ransom

Join in on our classic gaming club!
racketboy
Site Admin

Together Retro: River City Ransom

Post by racketboy »

From Flake:
"Well, this is it. As far as I am concerned, with this game the Together Retro project reaches its zenith. Ignore what the rest of the calendar says. Turn out the lights. Unplug your game systems. Go find a hobby that is more sports oriented. We’re doing River City Ransom this month. It is THE ultimate retro game. It has it all: Double Dragon style gameplay, RPG elements, classic music, enemies that scream ‘Barf!’ when you punch them plus quaint references to classic 80’s era Japanese culture that the translation team had no clue what to do with."

More info:
http://www.racketboy.com/together-retro ... ity-ransom
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro: River City Ransom

Post by Erik_Twice »

So the GBA version is not considered good? Or is it simply harder? I can easily try this one out :)
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

I've got EX (GBA) and I didn't really think it was that much harder. I like the Japanese-style graphic updates to the characters. I'll be playing this for the month.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Great write up, flake. This really makes me want to play. I'm afraid I don't have the cart for River City Ransom in my collection. I'll stop by Pixel Nation Retro Video Game store Monday to see if one is available.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

This is one that I've been meaning to try for a while. And since it's been a long time since I've participated in a Together Retro, I think I'm gonna make myself find the time to give this one a shot... if I can remember.
Flake

Post by Flake »

Haha, Nick edited my intro in a tiny way. Thanks for protecting my dignity, boss!
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

while I think Flake might be going overboard calling it the "zenith," I adore RCR. I'm a huge Kunio-kun fan. I grew up w/ Renegade, RCR, Super Dodgeball and Nintendo World Cup. Over the years I've delved far deeper into the series. Those hot blooded high schoolers are awesome.

I've played the hell out of RCR on NES and GBA, so this month I'm working on the X68000 port, since I've recently become fascinated by early JPN computer systems. I'm using a walkthrough to translate menus and all, and having a blast revisiting this game once again. Currently I've beaten the boss in the werehouse. Forget his name, cuz this is in Japanese.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

noiseredux wrote:I've beaten the boss in the werehouse. Forget his name, cuz this is in Japanese.

Rocko.

The first time I played that on the NES, I totally missed him because I forgot you had to take out everyone else before a boss comes out. Same with Blade in Sherman Park.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

The English localization team on this game was so brilliantly mad in their translations. While I'm sure the original Japanese version maintains a sense of madcap romp, I'm hard pressed to believe that it's as incredibly zany as the US version. Somewhere out there is a translator, that in a moment of frustration or elation said, "You know what ... screw it, I'm making this dude say BARF!"

I'm really on the fence with this one. I've played through the NES version a couple different times (though not for a number of years), and I love it. So I'd like to play through the EX version to get a slightly different experience. OTOH, the NES version is an absolute classic so it's hard to pull the trigger on the updated version. It is a relatively short game, so there would be time for both, but honestly I'll probably just choose one. I think I'll go ahead and try the EX version.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Be warned: Both the NES and GBA ports are expensive, the latter moreso because it was published by Atlus.

I was able to get EX for $4. Deal of the century.