Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game

Brawlers and Beatemups
KoLAddict
24-bit

Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game

Post by KoLAddict »

I know it's a horrible game overall, but I bought it mostly as a gag for the Saturn, thinking at $10 it was a steal. When I got home I saw it was actually the PS1 version that was worth so much. What I was wondering was, has anyone actually played both versions (and survived the experience), and if so, which version is actually "better"? Whenever I try to watch gameplay videos they're both so laggy anyways. Or does anyone know why the PS1 version is more expensive? I figured if anything the Saturn version would be superior since it's 2D and the Saturn did 2D better than the PS1.
Huge RPG fan.

PSN ID and XBL GamerTag: KoLAddict
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

They are very different games, and both of them are differ significantly from the arcade original. In my opinion, the arcade original - which was developed by Capcom - is the best of the lot, but I cannot say whether the PS1 or Saturn version is better since there is not much to recommend either (besides kitsch value).

CD AGES can probably break them down a little better than me, however.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I have the Saturn version. It sucks.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

noiseredux wrote:I have the Saturn version. It sucks.

Yeah...well...I have both versions! Neither of them are all that great...I wouldn't mind playing the arcade original again sometime, however.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
noiseredux wrote:I have the Saturn version. It sucks.

Yeah...well...I have both versions! Neither of them are all that great...I wouldn't mind playing the arcade original again sometime, however.

I've never played the arcade game, but the videos of seem make it look like a MUCH better game than the consoles got.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Being developed by Capcom - rather than one of Acclaims' studios - probably helped a lot.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

here's a thing I wrote about the PS1 version. It is likely pricier because it is a longbox game: http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/dshei ... e-1612.php
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:They are very different games, and both of them are differ significantly from the arcade original. In my opinion, the arcade original - which was developed by Capcom - is the best of the lot, but I cannot say whether the PS1 or Saturn version is better since there is not much to recommend either (besides kitsch value).
CD AGES can probably break them down a little better than me, however.

Why you gotta out me in the spot like dat man? :lol:
The only concrete info I can provide on the subject is...
1. Yes, all console ports of the game are significantly different from its arcade counterpart in both visuals and especially gameplay. The console versions play like a more traditional street fighter game overall, while the arcade version takes some liberties with general mechanics overall (more emphasis on juggles and some interestingly unique special movesand abilities that have never existed on popular characters).
2. Arcade version was NOT developed by Capcom at all! But by Chiicago based studio Incredible Technologies who are famous for their ongoing Golden Tee Coin Op seires. The arcade version even runs on a propriatery board from the developer. Capcom merely published the game.

Honestly, outside of the game titles and sharing of visual assets. Home versions of the game have nothing to do with the arcade version.

I just realized that I own both PS1 and Saturn ports of the game although I've invested little playtime on either. I honestly prefer the Arcade version.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

CD AGES wrote:Why you gotta out me in the spot like dat man? :lol:

Well...your post shows that you are definitely the expert! :lol:
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
CD AGES wrote:Why you gotta out me in the spot like dat man? :lol:

Well...your post shows that you are definitely the expert! :lol:

Well, not quite. The OP wants to know why the price difference between each home port and which is the superior port. With regards to price difference, I def agree that the PS1 version goes for more simply because of its packaging as someone mentioned here. Which is the Superior version? I can't really answer. It's a pretty interesting question... but ultimately also an irrelevant one, as Capcom chose to do some thing entirely different with the I.T's project as oppose to making an arcade translation of the orginal product. Why did they do this? My guess is perhaps because an arcade to home translation would have been difficult to damn near impossible to achieve without making significant compromises. For its time, the arcade version had some heafty hardware running the game, and it shows.