The Art of Video Games at the Smithsonian

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Retronick
8-bit

The Art of Video Games at the Smithsonian

Post by Retronick »

Hey!

I live out on the east coast and had the opportunity to catch The Art Of Video Games exhibit at the Smithsonian's American Art Museum. While I think there were some glaring omissions and some questionable decisions during the voting process (Tomb Raider over Nights Into Dreams, really?), I think overall the exhibit was interesting. I would've liked some more history, and a lot more concept art, but I'm not certain that was really the point of the thing.

I did a brief writeup and took some photographs if anybody's interested. I'm more interested in what this forum's general consensus on the exhibit is, whether you've had the opportunity to see it or not.

http://www.retronick.com/2012/03/the-art-of-video-games/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/retronick/sets/72157629266675468/with/6855499606/
MLew
8-bit

Re: The Art of Video Games at the Smithsonian

Post by MLew »

Haven't seen it, but heard that Turbografx was not in it. Ykno..the FIRST console to have cd gaming!

This is a laughable FAIL
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

MLew wrote:Haven't seen it, but heard that Turbografx was not in it. Ykno..the FIRST console to have cd gaming!

This is a laughable FAIL

the exhibit is about the ART of video games. Not the history of them.
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

I'm curious, did you get to see the Twin Galaxies trading card ceremony for Bushnell? I would've liked to have seen that.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
Retronick
8-bit

Post by Retronick »

MLew wrote:Haven't seen it, but heard that Turbografx was not in it. Ykno..the FIRST console to have cd gaming!

This is a laughable FAIL

Honestly, that bummed me out too. I actually offered my spare TurboGrafx-16 to the museum and exhibitors for inclusion, but I've yet to hear back (nor will I probably).

Regardless, there were lots of consoles missing from the exhibition, but the idea of including them all seems somewhat unrealistic. I understand why they omitted the TG-16. I may not like it, but I understand.

I don't think technical advances really played a significant role in their selection process. If they had, the FM Towns Marty would have gotten some love too I'd imagine. As noiseredux stated. It's called The Art of Video Games, not the history.
Retronick
8-bit

Post by Retronick »

YoshiEgg25 wrote:I'm curious, did you get to see the Twin Galaxies trading card ceremony for Bushnell? I would've liked to have seen that.

Sadly, stupid me didn't register for a free pass early enough and I missed out on getting to go to it. They did however stream it live, so I'm certain there's a recording of that stream somewhere.
YoshiEgg25
Next-Gen

Post by YoshiEgg25 »

Retronick wrote:
YoshiEgg25 wrote:I'm curious, did you get to see the Twin Galaxies trading card ceremony for Bushnell? I would've liked to have seen that.

Sadly, stupid me didn't register for a free pass early enough and I missed out on getting to go to it. They did however stream it live, so I'm certain there's a recording of that stream somewhere.

I'm sure there is. Just wondering if you did. I went to the ceremony they held out at Midwest Gaming Classic the week after that and it was really neat; I was able to get some pictures and video as well as a bunch of cards and signatures.
Gaming accomplishments:
Nibbler (marathon): 251,169,160 / Nibbler (one life): 5,263,360 (WR)
Donkey Kong: 423,100 [L12-1] (150th place as of 2019-01-15)
Super Smash Bros. (N64): Ranked top 5 in Wisconsin from Q1 2016 to Q2 2017
Shrek SuperSlam: won largest tournament in game's history (Shrekfest 2018)

Speedrun.com Profile (contains multiple WRs)
Retronick
8-bit

Post by Retronick »

YoshiEgg25 wrote:
Retronick wrote:

I'm sure there is. Just wondering if you did. I went to the ceremony they held out at Midwest Gaming Classic the week after that and it was really neat; I was able to get some pictures and video as well as a bunch of cards and signatures.

Awesome! I got a bunch of good pics and signatures at Pax East, but I'm not planning on hitting up anything between now and MAGFEST. THough there is another gaming event at the Smithsonian I wouldn't mind attending.
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

I bought the book and have found it to be quite nice. The choices of the games is overall good but there are certainly a few choices I would have omitted. Classic Game Room has a good interview with the man behind the book and touring exhibit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orRnC_QrooU
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

noiseredux wrote:the exhibit is about the ART of video games. Not the history of them.

Didn't stop them from using LCD screens or only giving historical data on Pac Man instead of explaining the ghost AI :twisted:
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/