Together Retro: River City Ransom

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Ziggy

Re: Together Retro: River City Ransom

Post by Ziggy »

I just played River City Ransom for the first time, for about 15 minutes. Two things. One, did Scott Pilgrim The Game just model itself after River City Ransom? :lol: And two, fuck those passwords. What are they, like at least 50 characters? If I'll be playing this game at all, it'll be on an emulator with save states or not at all. I don't have the patience to input passwords like that. :lol:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ziggy587 wrote: did Scott Pilgrim The Game just model itself after River City Ransom? :lol:

Yes. It was very intentional.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/vi ... ity-Ransom
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Great... so is this another case of a game being available on the 3DS shop, and not the Wii U? ... :x
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ziggy587 wrote:And two, fuck those passwords. What are they, like at least 50 characters?

This is why I love the Retron 5. It turns passwords into saves. Granted, I don't have RCR but it has proved useful with Faxanadu, Guardian Legend, and more.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

Ziggy587 wrote:those passwords. What are they, like at least 50 characters?

EX on GBA has a save feature. Although I remember it being a little clunky, but no long passwords.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Played a bit today. I've never played before so I'm still trying to get a hang of it. I should probably look up an instruction manual, but for those interested, I've found out that:

A is punch/hit with object
B is kick/throw held object
Double tap + direction is dash

You can go into some of the buildings, so try doors. Not sure all of the ins and outs of buying food or maxing out your power.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Stark wrote:Not sure all of the ins and outs of buying food or maxing out your power.
This is the one aspect of the game for which I feel a guide comes in particularly handy. There are a ton of purchasable items and moves in this game, without a lot of explanation regarding the resultant effects.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I played this a while this morning and hated it less than I remembered. I'll probably see it through.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

dsheinem wrote:I played this a while this morning and hated it less than I remembered. I'll probably see it through.
It's the "gangs of students and evil bosses" that are putting ideas in your head isn't it? ... And stop leering at Ryan's girlfriend! :P
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

ExedExes wrote:
Ziggy587 wrote:those passwords. What are they, like at least 50 characters?

EX on GBA has a save feature. Although I remember it being a little clunky, but no long passwords.

Thanks for the heads up. If I'm gonna be playing it right now, it's gonna be on an emulator on the Wii. So it kinda makes no difference if I play the NES or GBA version. I'll have to check it out and decide which version to stick with.