Sine Mora (is once again coming to PSN)

2D Shooters Invade
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Sine Mora (is once again coming to PSN)

Post by dunpeal2064 »

dsheinem wrote:
jfrost wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Meh. This game wasn't very good in my experience. Now it can be not fun on the PSN too.

What was the problem with it?

http://yardsalegaming.wordpress.com/201 ... mora-xbla/

So the problems are:

-Its hard to see the bullets
-I didn't like the story

:?:

Could lob those same complaints at Battle Garegga. I had no trouble seeing projectiles in either Garegga or Sine Mora. All these people "play shmups a lot" and "play for score", but can't take the time to pay attention to the game they are playing? I guess thats why all shmups now have to have bright-ass bullets :lol:

... not that I am saying that Sine Mora is as good as Battle Garegga, but I thought it was a pretty fun game, and it at least deserves to be judged by more than the merits of an online reviewer.

Also, for being a seasoned shmupper, he didn't even note the actual issue with the game, which is that items drop randomly, so two people that were playing the game at world-rank levels could get different scores purely due to luck. This is an issue, but only if you plan on breaking the world record, and have already exhausted all other ways to milk points out of the game. Its not a reason for someone who has yet to hold one single world record to worry about.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

dunpeal2064 wrote:

So the problems are:

-Its hard to see the bullets
-I didn't like the story

:?:

Could lob those same complaints at Battle Garegga. I had no trouble seeing projectiles in either Garegga or Sine Mora. All these people "play shmups a lot" and "play for score", but can't take the time to pay attention to the game they are playing? I guess thats why all shmups now have to have bright-ass bullets :lol:

... not that I am saying that Sine Mora is as good as Battle Garegga, but I thought it was a pretty fun game, and it at least deserves to be judged by more than the merits of an online reviewer.

Also, for being a seasoned shmupper, he didn't even note the actual issue with the game, which is that items drop randomly, so two people that were playing the game at world-rank levels could get different scores purely due to luck. This is an issue, but only if you plan on breaking the world record, and have already exhausted all other ways to milk points out of the game. Its not a reason for someone who has yet to hold one single world record to worry about.

that reviewer is a giant uninformed asshole
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

dsheinem wrote:that reviewer is a giant uninformed asshole

:lol: A little self-awareness, eh? ;)
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

o.pwuaioc wrote:

I don't think dunpeal realized who the reviewer was :lol:

I didn't mention random drops and the effect on scoring: fair critique.

I never said bullets were hard to see, I said environmental hazards were hard to discern: an important difference.

I only mentioned the story sucked because it was such a prominent, featured component - far more so than in most any shmup.

So dunpeal's critique of my review is less fair than my critique of the game. :lol:
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

dsheinem wrote:I don't think dunpeal realized who the reviewer was :lol:

Just teasin' ya!
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Well, I feel like a dumbass :oops: :lol:

I'll admit, I browsed the review, as my first thought was, "Damn, he didn't even give his own thoughts on the game, he just linked a review of a shmup" Knowing how most reviewers handle shmups, I went in mostly browsing.

There is a pretty big difference between bullet visibility and obstacle awareness, so that was my mistake, and its a fair knock against the game. And yes, the story isn't all that fantastic, and a bit long-winded (although playing arcade mode does change that up a bit). I did enjoy how you would play levels out of chronological order, and even play the same levels again in the past, but other than that nothing story-wise hooked me much.

I personally don't find the obstacles much more annoying than the high-speed small corridors or closing walls in Gradius, or instant death lasers in Psikyo games. If you are enjoying the game, you'll note what hit you, and return to the game more successful.

I justl think the game doesn't have enough flaws to say its not even worth trying. I mean, this game gets a rap like E.T. over on shmups, because its not a game that makes you want to break its world record or play it for years on end... but we have dozens of shmups like this that most people haven't cleared

The game wouldn't make a "top" list, but I think its worth the entry fee, and is definitely a fun little romp every now and then.

But yeah, that was my bad :lol: Its one thing to link your own review, as at least you've tried the game and judged it for yourself. Thats not what I thought was happening at first.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

o.pwuaioc wrote:

At least he realizes it. Most reviewers actually think they know stuff :p
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Well, I feel like a dumbass :oops: :lol:

I'll admit, I browsed the review, as my first thought was, "Damn, he didn't even give his own thoughts on the game, he just linked a review of a shmup" Knowing how most reviewers handle shmups, I went in mostly browsing.

Given the general quality of reviews on that site, I can't say I blame you too much.