Are slippery stages good design?

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
harper
Next-Gen

Re: Are slippery stages good design?

Post by harper »

GameMasterGuy wrote:They're absolutely pointless. 90% of the time you can constantly jump and it'll play normally.

Not in Zelda games. haha

My least favorite levels are ones that involve ice and water. I hate having to swim everywhere and sliding around. It just takes too long to complete the task at hand and it's frustrating. The water temple in Majora's Mask was a huge pain in the ass.
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

Post by GameMasterGuy »

harper wrote:
GameMasterGuy wrote:They're absolutely pointless. 90% of the time you can constantly jump and it'll play normally.

Not in Zelda games. haha

My least favorite levels are ones that involve ice and water. I hate having to swim everywhere and sliding around. It just takes too long to complete the task at hand and it's frustrating. The water temple in Majora's Mask was a huge pain in the ass.

This is in the "Platformers" subforum... but I do agree, they work very well outside of platformers.
Is that a 3DS XL in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? ~ZeroAX
Jontendo
64-bit

Post by Jontendo »

GameMasterGuy wrote:
harper wrote:

Not in Zelda games. haha

This is in the "Platformers" subforum... but I do agree, they work very well outside of platformers.

Wait, Majora's Mask doesn't count as a platformer?
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

Post by GameMasterGuy »

Jontendo wrote:
GameMasterGuy wrote:
harper wrote:Not in Zelda games. haha

Wait, Majora's Mask doesn't count as a platformer?

Is that a 3DS XL in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? ~ZeroAX
harper
Next-Gen

Post by harper »

Haha, sorry I didn't realize it was referring only to platformers. But my opinion still stands. I've never been crazy about ice/water levels.
Jontendo
64-bit

Post by Jontendo »

GameMasterGuy wrote:
Jontendo wrote:Wait, Majora's Mask doesn't count as a platformer?

Hehe! My work here is done. :lol:
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Yes. Ice levels are clever challenges. In my experience, they have mostly been used properly. They are a challenge stage with modified physics and I have yet to see one that forced you to get damaged - as long as the damage/death is avoidable it's valid and good. As mentioned I much prefer them to water/space levels with modified gravity and spikes *everywhere*. They are usually less strict on the death penalty for improper jump timing and therefore a good design. Yes Sir; I Like It!
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

sabrage wrote:Better than water levels/10

This. Ice levels can be fun when you can duck some enemies and keep that flow going (Mario, Donkey Kong Country). In some games, like Mega Man, it just makes things overly hard when you have to make precision jumps and kill the slide effect before you fall into a pit. I think you had to pick up some gadget (I think it was energy balancer) in Mega Man 7 from an upper ice path. The first few jumps you had to to be really careful, tap an inch forward at a time, jump, kill the movement/slide as fast as possible, tap a few inches again and then suddenly you needed alot of momentum to make a big leap to get the gadget. There was a pit below and I think there were enemies shooting projeticles at you, so if you got hit you fell down (this is one effect I really hate, when you get shot midair and you fall into your death or when you loose all your momentum in a sonic game after you get shot). Bucky O Hare had some annoying parts too in the blue planet.

But I still prefer ice levels over agonizing swim levels. Like the one in the first Sonic game. To quote AVGN: WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?!
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

Anapan wrote:Yes Sir; I Like It!

Ah! mr Horse.
My favorite ice level, Psycho Fox on the Master System
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XF3PVTt ... plpp_video
Watch from the 08:13 mark
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
pankakes123
64-bit

Post by pankakes123 »

Some games such as Super Mario Galaxy and Ristar implement ice stages really well by offering new gameplay mechanics exclusive to this stages. Most games though tend to implement slippery ice stages purely for difficulty and variety, while not actually bringing anything new to the game other than frustration.