What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Gucci
64-bit

Re: What Made you Smile/What Ticked you off Today?

Post by Gucci »

Everything we just said went right over your head. Never seen such selective blindness before.

“Much of the reason why I don't get promoted is because a promotion implies that what I do is my career and not just a job.”
That’s a dumb statement.

Every retailer cuts their hours at certain points during the year. It’s called seasonality. It’s not a unique problem to areas where you live. That’s just an excuse to not better yourself in the current area where you live.

And what does all that J1 bullshit have anything to do with the current discussion? All you’re doing is deflecting what the real issue is: your infatuation with a certain city based on the perceived notions of a utopia from sources that are not real. The answers to all your problems lie in a place that doesn’t exist.

And your last statements: If Anapan decided to say “NYC is the biggest piece of shit filthy place ever to exist on the surface of the earth,” not only would I echo that statement, I’d buy them a beer.

All we are hearing are deflections and excuses.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Not getting a promotion because it’s not a career is bollocks. You’ll have a way easier time getting a new job doing literally anything else if you can demonstrate you had some kind of drive and determination that was recognised in your previous role.

Sure, it’s not likely to get you a job in film saying you were a manager at a donut shop, but it is likely to put you in a situation where you have a wealth of better paid job options that might consider you. Those better paid job options will give you the chance to generate more money for moving funds or to go towards saving for film equipment. You cant expect to go from A, where you are now, right through to your dream goal at Z(working in film in New York) and expect to skip steps B through Y on the way.

I work as a Senior Product Manager now. I have never once worked as a product manager before this job, but I worked up on another role and it gave me skills I could use to sell myself for a position. It gave me better options than I had before.

Typing this is a waste of time because you will entirely ignore it I’m sure, but whatever. Maybe one day you’ll have an epiphany.
Last edited by alienjesus on Fri May 10, 2024 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

alienjesus wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:11 amMaybe one day you’ll have an epiphany.
He’ll have one in NYC. In fact, there one waiting for him at the local homeless shelter.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

I'm just going to stop talking about my hopes and dreams, my job and my desire to move to NYC. All it does is piss everyone off and makes me wonder why I keep coming here. I mean, it's not like you know my situation even half as well as I do. You think I do things the way I do them because you fancy me some foolish, ignorant turd and that alone proves my point that you do NOT know my situation, know my reasons behind my actions and you sure as FUCK don't know me!

If you all can't say anything nice, don't say a GODDAMN thing! Do I talk down to you all? Do I presume to know YOUR situations and YOUR circumstances and YOUR limits? NO!

And now, you all are just going to gang up on me and treat me like shit for having the audacity to stand up for myself. Christ, if I treated any one of you even half as bad as you treat me, and how you treat me IS bad, I'd get banned!
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

You're in your 30's right? Do you have a drivers license? if so, maybe save up over the years for a car, to maybe MOVE out of your situation to better yourself or drive to better employment that can get you to where your dreams lead to. I've never been to your area, but it can't be as bad as only fast food and grocery store work. No city jobs, construction, warehouse work, pool companies?
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

stickem wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:49 am You're in your 30's right? Do you have a drivers license? if so, maybe save up over the years for a car, to maybe MOVE out of your situation to better yourself or drive to better employment that can get you to where your dreams lead to. I've never been to your area, but it can't be as bad as only fast food and grocery store work. No city jobs, construction, warehouse work, pool companies?
First off, thank you for something other than criticism.

I'll be 38 in July. No license, but with the nearest DMV an hour away and having to rely on a once-a-month mobile DMV popping into Hatteras (20min drive or 2hr bike ride), it's hard to get to without a vehicle when I have to content with other people's schedules and how they relate to my own. I honestly wish I did have a license, though then I'd be shelling out for insurance even if I don't own a car. And if I did own a car, there's the cost of upkeep. Plus all I could afford is some clunker that craps out after a few months if I'm lucky and after a while I'd end up spending more money in the long run on used cars than just buying something brand new that I can't afford then and there.

If I did have my license and got a car, I'd just settle for something I could just use to drive up the beach (local term) for the odd Walmart run or just for a day trip.

As for the job market on Hatteras Island, there's plenty of jobs outside of Food Lion (literally the biggest grocery store on this side of the Herbert C. Bonner Bridge) and restaurants that at best will cut my hours and at worst lay me off based on the number of tourists. But the problem is that many of these jobs get reserved for the J-1 students and those that don't are jobs I don't have the qualifications for. That's why I've been thinking of finding WFH opportunities that I can do 1-2 nights a week when I'm off from my afternoon job. And meanwhile I've got the stuff to whip up some homemade Christmas ornaments. But the reason I don't pursue these opportunities is because a lot of times I'm too burnt out. Aside from the jobs themselves, there's also all the autistic masking I do, which tends to make my mental health worse. You can read more about it here in this article on the subject of autistic masking.
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

REPO Man wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 11:35 am I'm just going to stop talking about my hopes and dreams, my job and my desire to move to NYC. All it does is piss everyone off and makes me wonder why I keep coming here. I mean, it's not like you know my situation even half as well as I do. You think I do things the way I do them because you fancy me some foolish, ignorant turd and that alone proves my point that you do NOT know my situation, know my reasons behind my actions and you sure as FUCK don't know me!

If you all can't say anything nice, don't say a GODDAMN thing! Do I talk down to you all? Do I presume to know YOUR situations and YOUR circumstances and YOUR limits? NO!

And now, you all are just going to gang up on me and treat me like shit for having the audacity to stand up for myself. Christ, if I treated any one of you even half as bad as you treat me, and how you treat me IS bad, I'd get banned!
Not once have I said anything mean. Everything I say is to dissuade you from doing something stupid that would ruin your life because it’s based on a large amount of incorrect information about a place you’ve never stepped foot in. And selfishly speaking: not have you come here and integrate into the homeless population the is already here where my tax dollars need to support.

We know your situation. The amount of shit you posted on this very thread would make a hacker with social engineering skills have a wet dream. How many times have you used this thread as a diary of sorts? Which family member was in jail or some other place? We know where you work, what you use for transportation, your familial issues, the bad purchases that you make, the movies you like, what posts you make on reddit. Everything. At one point, you linked your Facebook on this site.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

OK, OK. I'm not taking any sides, but at the end of the day this is a retro gaming forum. I love that we can go off-topic now and again, but far too often has this thread in particular gone off the rails. I'm locking it for now. Another moderator can feel free to override me and unlock it, but if you read our forum guidelines I feel like this thread has had more than its fair share of strikes against it.