PS2 Component Cables

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: PS2 Component Cables

Post by Hobie-wan »

I don't have Xeno to look unfortunately. The effect would be lessened by using composite since the overall quality is worse, so that in effect gives you a fuzzy filter on everything.
pepharytheworm
Next-Gen

Post by pepharytheworm »

Hobie-wan wrote:I don't have Xeno to look unfortunately. The effect would be lessened by using composite since the overall quality is worse, so that in effect gives you a fuzzy filter on everything.

Does anyone else have component cables and xenosaga ep 1 who could try it out and see if they see lines?
Where's my chippy? There's my chippy.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

My component cables came in the mail last week.

Set it in the options of the PS2, everything looks perfect / amazing. No game gives me lines, color issues or anything.

Highly recommend picking them up if your TV supports them, just remember to change the setting for them in options.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

He's only talking about when there's video playback in a game, not during gameplay. They aren't exacly lines, but every few rows a pixel of information is stretched across 2. Here's an example of someone dealing with the exact same issue in VLC.

http://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=74094

They're going to be there in composite, but harder to see since things are less clear.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

I am playing through FFX at the moment, I will pay attention to it but I have not noticed it myself.
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

I hooked up my PS2 slim today with component, have it selected and everything in the menus and looks great.

Had a question though - for Ps1 games, what's optimal - 4:3, full or 16:9 with the component. I have a 32 inch LCD.

Currently playing on full screen and things look fine but wondering if I'm missing the benefit or something else.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Well, PS1 games were programmed with 4:3 in mind (sure there are some programmed for 16:9) so they will be a bit stretched.

Worth noting in this thread that some TVs will not take 480i over component, progressive only.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Jagosaurus wrote:Worth noting in this thread that some TVs will not take 480i over component, progressive only.

Or 240p, for that matter. Some PS1 games are 240, so watch out for that too.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Ziggy587 wrote:
Jagosaurus wrote:Worth noting in this thread that some TVs will not take 480i over component, progressive only.

Or 240p, for that matter. Some PS1 games are 240, so watch out for that too.

and some PS2 games are 240p over component! My Megaman X collection on the ps2 wont work on my HDTV, I can get to the menu just fine but then when I choose a game my TV screen goes black and it just says signal not supported :(
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Yeah, a lot of games in the PS1/N64 era switched output resolutions. Menus (being simple in nature) could be 480 been then the first stage (or whatever) loads and it's 240. The PS2 had a lot of compilation discs (Mega Man, Metal Slug, etc) that this also happens with. It gets annoying. Even when using something like the XRGB, you have to wait for the signal to resync when the resolution is changed.