Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Cell phone thoughts/advice

by Jagosaurus Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:04 pm

I had 2 phones before this, but here's my progression:

2008 - LG enV²

Ahh... the days of the Sidekick competitors. Possibly still my favorite phone to this day. As you can see from the icons, it was very Android-ish in the UI so it was natural move for me. I also already hated itunes by 2008 or so.

These are dates I picked up these vs release date. All within the devices being fairly new, but may have spilled into following year if it came out in fall.

2010 - Motorola Droid X
Android 2.2. Froyo,
upgraded to Gingerbread

2012 - Motorola Droid Rzr Maxx
Android 2.3 Gingerbread,
upgraded to Jellybean

2015 - Samsung Galaxy Note 4
Android 4.4. KitKat,
upgraded to both Lollipop & Marshmallow

2018 - Samsung Galaxy 9S Plus
Android 8.0 Oreo,
upgraded to Pie & Android 10... finally ditched the dessert names

Been on Android for a decade, since OS 2.2 & will never look back. I can say, I personally prefer the Samsung to Motorola. You can tell the quality difference in performance, but Motos are still solid. I could run this 3+ years no issues (as I did with Note 4), but may the techie in me upgrade soon...

I need Verizon for my job & based on geography so my options are limited on some of the "in" non-flagship devices. They do look sweet though.
My Mod Threads
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
marurun

by marurun Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:10 pm

It’s funny because Apple has slowly been killing off the tether to iTunes. On Mac it has been split into multiple narrow-purpose apps instead of a monolith. It is still a monolith on Windows, but you need it for almost nothing. iOS can now do everything within the OS apps.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:54 pm

marurun wrote:It’s funny because Apple has slowly been killing off the tether to iTunes. On Mac it has been split into multiple narrow-purpose apps instead of a monolith. It is still a monolith on Windows, but you need it for almost nothing. iOS can now do everything within the OS apps.

I also worked in a computer repair shop from 2010 to 2012. We were a certified Mac repair shop, in a college town, right as Apple was getting cool again. My last day I vowed to never touch another Mac... or printer :lol:

Mrs Jago has an iPhone, as do clients at work. Only time I remotely come close is to say our apps are supported on iOS 8).... on home tech support unfortunately.

I can operate a Mac or iPhone just fine... just not intuitive to me... and I have always been into side load, mod, tinker scene which Android is more conducive to. Had a ton of fun with this recently
My Mod Threads
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
opa
64-bit

by opa Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:58 am

Thanks for the comments so far! I will definitely look into Samsung and other brands. I've not really given the Google Pixel devices a look (I have heard they're pricey) but it won't hurt to look into them.

marurun wrote:Like you've been using a phone for like 6 years. Try doing that with ANY Android phone.

Well I can't speak to using an android phone for years (thus why I'm asking for thoughts/opinions), but my time with an iphone hasn't been smooth sailing the entire time. Granted, my phone is an older device - no getting around that - however, some updates straight up crippled the performance until maybe weeks after the fact they put out a new version that fixed things. Additionally, it seems that every update that caters to some feature on the newest device (touch-to-unlock on the home button for example) does not carry over to my digital button press (yes, I'm still mad they took away swipe to unlock. lol). As the years went on I began to dread the updates because I would ask myself "what's gonna screw up this time?"

I agree that build-quailty-wise iphones are sound devices (my phone has stood up to quite a bit of abuse) and if you upgraded your phone every two or three years I believe that the experience would be more in-line with Apple's throwaway philosophy with tech. I just want a phone that works and does the basic computing I need.
I am not the ideal Apple consumer. :lol:

iTunes blows. Everything about it is wrong and they should feel bad for presenting it to the world. I should just be able to copy-paste content (specifically music) easily over USB. I eventually discovered the mobile version of VLC for iOS and I haven't looked back.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever