What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by REPO Man »

Hatchet, a decent slasher movie. Hopefully the sequels are better.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Markies wrote:It may have been 4 days late, but I finally watched a Halloween movie.

I mean, the original Ghostbusters is a perfect Halloween movie.

And I had forgotten how funny Winston was. Not a ton of lines, but some absolute classics!

That reminds me, I need to rewatch Ghostbusters again! Haven't watched it in years.

Loved that movie when I was a kid, even dressed up as a Ghostbuster for Halloween back then -- the costume came with an Egon mask and beige jump suit. Lol.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

A few nights ago I decided to watch The Company of Wolves. Overall it was a decent film but aside from a few practical special effects it was mostly all too predictable. And I still can't figure out...

what the deal was with the beginning and end of the film taking place in the present day but everything else being a dream.

But then again I just had it playing in the background while playing my Switch.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I watched Dune (2021) the other day. It was great, and I am very excited for part 2.
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

A double post because I forgot last week....

The Dentist

Dr. Feinstone has always had an issue with dirt, but when he catches his wife having an affair on their anniversary he falls off the deep end and his obsession turns into more of a psychosis. Now the doctor is seeing filth everywhere and he's dead set of ridding the world of all the filth and decay he can....no matter what it takes.

An odd little dark humor/horror outing involving dentistry. Despite it's odd premise it actually ends up being a lot of fun...unless of course you have a fear of dentists. In that case, it will not be fun. Other than that it's quite cheesy (but intentionally so), but it's also filled with a lot of cool effects and gore, so slasher fans should find it highly amusing. It's stupid slasher/horror fun and I quite liked it.

The Dentist 2

I did not, however, particularly like this one. The not-so-good doctor breaks free and flees to a small town in Missouri where the locals talk him into taken up the mantel of their local dentist. Feinstone manages to hold off the crazy pretty well for a while, but then the jealously sets in again and he's right back on the express train to Crazy Town.

The effects and gore in this one are just as good as the first, but the plot....my goodness, the plot. With the first film there was a slow increase in the intensity and brutality of the violence, so there was always something going on. But here the story just plods along in some places and there are long stretches of time where nothing substantial happens at all. I'm all for Feinstone fighting with his inner demons, but they devoted so much time to it that it makes the film feel like it's dragging. Thankfully the ending kicks it into high gear, but getting there can feel a bit painful.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I watched Dune (2021) the other day. It was great, and I am very excited for part 2.

Watched the new Dune about two weeks ago and really enjoyed it too. Can't wait for the next movie, and whatever spin-offs come from it!
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Benedetta is more proof that Verhoeven is easily one of the best directors of all time.

I don't wanna say much about it, but I will mention that although it is still campy and gratuitous, the lesbian nun part has been overhyped by the reviews, probably because sex sells and it's controversial. Although it is an important plot point, this is more about politics related to the church. Not necessarily anti-religious, but definitely anti-church.
Limewater
Next-Gen

Post by Limewater »

PretentiousHipster wrote:Benedetta is more proof that Verhoeven is easily one of the best directors of all time.

There was a little man
His name was Verhoeven
His movies were seen cross the whole world
When they were good
They were very, very good
And when they were bad they were Showgirls
Systems: TI-99/4a, Commodore Vic-20, Atari 2600, NES, SMS, GB, Neo Geo MVS (Big Red 4-slot), Genesis, SNES, 3DO, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN, NDSi, Wii
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

You'll be pleased to know that Showgirls is in my all time top 10 :) I think this forum discussed it cause of me before actually lol
Ack

Post by Ack »

PretentiousHipster wrote:You'll be pleased to know that Showgirls is in my all time top 10 :) I think this forum discussed it cause of me before actually lol

Yep, we did! I still need to get around to seeing it some day. I like to watch things considered to be the worst. Like Howard the Duck, Mac & Me, and The Garbage Pail Kids Movie.