Ninten-Drawer - A New 72-Pin Connector for the NES

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Ziggy

Ninten-Drawer - A New 72-Pin Connector for the NES

Post by Ziggy »

Anyone else see this yet? It's a new 72-pin connector solution for the NES.

https://blueshell3d.com/products/nintendrawer

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1716411596 ... nes-72-pin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lpCNMxGW3s
(This is when embedded videos are perfect)

It's kinda similar to the Blinking Light Win. The only real difference is that more of the cart is exposed to allow you to grip it much better to overcome the death grip. It's more expensive than the Blinking Light Win, but the BLW is always sold out. In fact, is it ever going to be back in stock?

If you don't feel like watching the video, here are some of the key takeaways from it...

• The tray has a sliding mechanism, which allows the cart to be partially exposed form the tray before pulling it out of the pin connector. Partially exposing the cart means you can get a better grip on it, which helps with the "death grip." Watch the video to get a better idea of the sliding mechanic. If you don't know what death grip is, replacement pin connectors grip the cart REALLY tight and it's hard to pull out since you can only get two fingers on the intended grip location to pull the cart out. The sliding mechanic holds the card in by magnets, which is said to be a really satisfying click when you push it in.

• Like the Blinking Light Win, the Ninten-Dawer incorporates a lockout chip.

• The Ninten-Drawer as interchangeable name plates. In the above pic, where it says "Ninten-Drawer," that's name plate can be swapped out. You can see additional name plates here.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Re: Ninten-Drawer - A New 72-Pin Connector for the NES

Post by Anapan »

I saw it! This is really cool. I think this is going into one of the opened-up corpses of NES's that I started modding a few years ago. Expect one in the next charity auction. My goal is to get rid of the boxes of cadavers this year. There seems to be a pile of RGB mod NES kit parts and stuff I over-bought while on a long job.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

This did interest me. I already need to get my NES modded to circumvent the region lockout chip, so this might be a nice way to do that myself without needing a modder.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I think it's really cool, but I don't know if I want one at this price point. I mean, it would be nice to have, and of course I like modding consoles. But I don't mind the death grip that my aftermarket pin connector has, And at $50, it's more than an impulse buy for me. I'd have to REALLY want it.

Like Bob from Retro RGB, I like clicking the cart down. So since by design that is not possible with this "improved" pin connector, it's kinda neat that you have that magnet click instead of clicking it down. I have to admit, that makes me like this a lot more than the Blinking Light Win. But yeah, the cost is more because of it.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Thanks for sharing the info on this Ziggy! I'm glad something like this is available since the Blinking Light Win seems to be really tough to get nowadays.

I don't have a NES console at the moment, but I'm hoping to get a toaster sometime this year and might try to grab one of these just in case there's an issue with the connector.

It looks like the first wave of pre-orders are sold out, but I'm hoping to hop in on the next wave.