Nintendo is suing the yuzu team

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Raging Justice
Next-Gen

Re: Nintendo is suing the yuzu team

Post by Raging Justice »

Those are valid points. I personally enjoy playing the games on native hardware and I generally don't care about FPS, 4K, etc. It's all about the gameplay for me and a good game is a good game at either 720p or 4K, 30 fps or 60 fps.

I buy a lot of Switch games too, so it's not a piracy device for me. It is convenient though to be able to try before you buy and play more than you'd get from a demo. Some games don't even HAVE demos. I also like getting around Nintendo's obnoxious bullshit like not being able to physically back up your saves. It's also fun to do things like play an RPG with an undub, use mods, use cheats if I feel like it in games where you wouldn't be able to do so otherwise, use themes, etc, etc. A modded Switch is a Switch where I can ACTUALLY DO WHAT I WANT WITH IT. I know that's a crazy concept to these corporations.
SyedDanishAnwar

Nintendo Killed Yuzu and Citra! Who will be Next?

Post by SyedDanishAnwar »

Tropic Haze Inc, a Rhode Island based company behind the Switch emulator Yuzu and 3DS emulator Citra, has just settled a deal with Nintendo for $2.4 million ceasing all its activities.

My two cents on the topic is that Tropic Haze Inc should have fought for this case instead of settling it. Previously, the court ruled against Sony in lawsuits against Connectix and Bleem.
Topic Haze chickening out of the case will embolden other lage firms to do the same. While the case was settled out of court, and it would not serve as a legal precedent, the case does have painted a negative picture about emulation and preservation of games on PC.

Essentially, it's Nintendo's own fault that their protection can be reverse engineered using keys. They should have released a patch to prevent the exploit. I still don't believe Yuzu devs had done anything wrong. They just chickened out rather than fight for the case.
A legacy gamer from Karachi, Pakistan gaming since 1989 on both PC and consoles (Atari 2600, Famicon, Sega, PS 1-3 and 5). PSN ID: syeddanishanwar. Playing Now: PC: Prince of Persia The Lost Crown; Baldur's Gate 3, Elden Ring; PS5: Batman Arkham Knight, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Tekken 8; PS3: SPEC OPS: The Line.
marurun

Re: Nintendo Killed Yuzu and Citra! Who will be Next?

Post by marurun »

SyedDanishAnwar wrote:My two cents on the topic is that Tropic Haze Inc should have fought for this case instead of settling it. Previously, the court ruled against Sony in lawsuits against Connectix and Bleem.
Topic Haze chickening out of the case will embolden other lage firms to do the same. While the case was settled out of court, and it would not serve as a legal precedent, the case does have painted a negative picture about emulation and preservation of games on PC.

Essentially, it's Nintendo's own fault that their protection can be reverse engineered using keys. They should have released a patch to prevent the exploit. I still don't believe Yuzu devs had done anything wrong. They just chickened out rather than fight for the case.

As I said in a previous post:

"To be honest, emulation is just fine. The team behind Yuzu laid the groundwork for their own legal jeopardy by openly and actively supporting illegal activity and prioritizing illegal activity for monetary support (eg. playing yet unreleased games).
So no, this case doesn’t hurt the legal emulation scene much at all."

Tropic Haze, by all accounts, hired decent lawyers, and those lawyers very likely told them that they screwed their own case through their behavior. The problem wasn't their emulator. Their problem was all the communication and behavior they made and encouraged around their emulator.

A lot of you folks are telling me quite clearly that you don't understand the legal issues around emulation very well. Might not hurt to do some extra reading.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Nintendo is suing the yuzu team

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I think they’d have been in a lot better shape if they hadn’t so explicitly promoted piracy or provided such explicit instructions regarding how to bypass Nintendo’s anti-piracy measures. Those documents were, basically, “smoking gun” exhibits in Nintendo’s favor, and I’m not sure how the team recovers from that. Nintendo’s legal theories went REALLY far, and in a case with such bad facts, I’d rather the Yuzu team settled than risk setting really bad legal precedent.

marurun wrote:
SyedDanishAnwar wrote:My two cents on the topic is that Tropic Haze Inc should have fought for this case instead of settling it. Previously, the court ruled against Sony in lawsuits against Connectix and Bleem.

As I said in a previous post:

"To be honest, emulation is just fine. The team behind Yuzu laid the groundwork for their own legal jeopardy by openly and actively supporting illegal activity and prioritizing illegal activity for monetary support (eg. playing yet unreleased games).
So no, this case doesn’t hurt the legal emulation scene much at all."

Tropic Haze, by all accounts, hired decent lawyers, and those lawyers very likely told them that they screwed their own case through their behavior. The problem wasn't their emulator. Their problem was all the communication and behavior they made and encouraged around their emulator.

A lot of you folks are telling me quite clearly that you don't understand the legal issues around emulation very well. Might not hurt to do some extra reading.

Ninja’d!

You’re absolutely right. The Yuzu team was going to get destroyed in court.