The best controllers thread

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

The best controllers thread

Post by RCBH928 »

So I am not a hardware purist but I believe that the controller is part of the game experience. In this thread I would like to hear from others on which controllers are best or closest to the original ones to use with emulation including arcade sticks. I also heard of USB dongle that you can connect the original controller to and it would work. For the whole Playstation and Xbox generations a the current console controller will do, but what about the other consoles?

I am really out of touch and would like to hear from those who are more experience with this. What are your suggestions?
Ziggy

Re: The best controllers thread

Post by Ziggy »

I haven't updated this thread in years, but here's a list of currently produced retro controllers...

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=52551

Scroll down to the USB section.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I usually try to use original controllers with The Bliss-Box. There are some good, new controllers that replicate the originals, like the Retro-Bit Genesis recreations.
The Hyperkin Ranger is an amazing all-in-one Atari 2600 controller.
For arcade sticks, Hori makes some good ones. I'm still using a Hori RAP Tekken 5 PS2 one that I gutted and stuck in my own stick and buttons. I use some PS2 to whichever-system controller adapter is necessary - PS2 to USB for PC and newer consoles.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Ziggy587 wrote:I haven't updated this thread in years, but here's a list of currently produced retro controllers...

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=52551

Scroll down to the USB section.

thats a nice list to pick from, thanks for sharing!
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Just saw this interview about the new Retrobit Saturn Pro wireless controller.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAXb3riPUO8
That's really impressive! I'm going to buy one and it'll probably replace my travel (work bag) controller - the 8Bitdo SN30 Pro.
I still keep a SteelSeries Free in there for a second player. Still haven't found a currently-build better compact controller.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Appreciate the info on the new Saturn controller, Anapan! Cool to see some people's feedback after testing it out at the convention too.

I've seen some pics of it and am curious about it, but I purchased Retro-bit's Gamecube controller, which mimics the Hori GC controller for Game Boy games, and the buttons feel a little off to me. I found it tough to play action games with it.

I'm wondering how this Saturn controller will turn out, so keep us posted on if it lives to up your expectations!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

I am out of the loop, is Saturn emulation a thing now?

The Saturn was one cool looking piece of hardware specually the white one with coloured button controllers but in reality when you look at the games,,,, eerr.. it has to be one of the worst libraries. Few exclusives and the cross platform ones are usually the handicapped ones. Maybe it was a great 2D fighting console, but personally I like the neo-geo specifically for the arcade joystick and whatever the Saturn can do was probably upped by the Dreamcast making the Saturn in a very niche space.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Saturn emulation has been quite accurate to the point that I can't see or feel any difference between the original console and emulation when the output is RGB@240p60. Even on my phone - Yaba Sanshiro 2 Pro emulates my shortlist well. I disagree about the library, especially since many Japanese exclusives have now been translated. Its 2D RPG library is pretty impressive. Since 3D games from that era have mostly aged badly, its 2D library now looks excellent, tho I may be a bit biased.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Ah...I do not put region specific releases into consideration when judging a library. For someone else he might enjoy it but for me specifically, turn based RPG games is just not my thing. Unless there is Japanese releases that are not-turn based rpg games I do not know.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

The North American Saturn library is lacking compared to that generation's competition, but that's not to say that the entire console should be bypassed; A pretty sizeable shortlist is full of excellent 32-bit titles. You were asking about emulation, and the Japanese library has a lot of great titles, with an increasing number of them being accessible for the first time. I'm not a fan of turn-based strategy myself, but ARPGs and some types of JRPGs are quite enjoyable IMO. There's no shortage of 2D platformers either. CDRomance can help if you are unfamiliar with patching disc-based games. Just click on Translations @ the top, then Saturn beside the Filter button.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage