Racketboy Summer Games Challenge 2022!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Syndicate
32-bit

Re: Racketboy Summer Games Challenge 2022!

Post by Syndicate »

...so I guess I'm not too good at this as I haven't finished a game yet :lol:. I have been making steady progress on SMW though, but I'm still trying to figure out if I should go for all of the exits, Star Road and etc. I've also been putting time into Rocket Knight and the game is just as good as its reputation, lots of action, great gameplay, and it pulls off some really neat effects on the Genesis. I've also lightly touched Steel Empire and Super Metroid but will likely have to come back to those later.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

SB, good to hear your take on Paper Mario. It's one that I'm interested in as well and will probably pick up and play through eventually. I really enjoyed Super Mario RPG, so I'd like to experience Paper Mario and see how the successor turned out. Also, thanks for sharing the link to the Un-Worked Designs, that's an awesome project. Just curious, are you using a flash drive to play the Un-Worked Designs version of Popful Mail?

Syndicate, nice selection of games mentioned there. I've played through a bit of Rocket Knight Adventures and enjoyed it, but I wasn't able to finish the game. I'd like to return to it sometime to try to take it on again. Steel Empire I was able to beat last year and loved that game, it might be my favorite shooter on the Genesis actually. The gameplay and soundtrack are really good, IMO. My only nitpicks for that game is I wish it had co-op play, and there's some slowdown.

Regarding my progress, I just finished the eighth boss in Shadow of the Colossus, so I think I'm about halfway through the game. The boss battles have all been pretty wild experiences. I'm really enjoying this game so far, it's a lot of fun to figure out the strategies to defeat each colossus, and then trying to execute it properly within the limitations you have.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

Note, I play on original hardware when I can. The Sega CD has no security and you can play any burned games. I played Lunar SSC on the PS2 using a burned copy without a mod chip ( https://github.com/MechaResearch/MechaPwn ). This was a cool mod to do to a PS2 to play backup PS1 games using the Component Cables.

1. Soul Blazer (SNES) Beat 6/2/22
2. Paper Mario (N64) 7/8/22

3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
4. Popful Mail (SCD)
5. Shantae (GBC)

I just finished Popful Mail on Wednesday. I loved it. I loved the multiple characters and how they added a tiny bit of Metroidvania to the game. I now want more platform/adventure/rpg/metroidvania games. Any suggestions, Wonder Boy in Monster World maybe? Any suggestions would be cool.

I started playing Adventures of LOLO on the NES Wednesday evening. Since then I am on the 8th Floor, 3rd room. This room is rough. I spent almost 45 minutes on it this morning before I gave up. I'll be back at it. For those who have not played this puzzle game has 10 floors with 5 rooms each on it.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

SpaceBooger wrote:I now want more platform/adventure/rpg/metroidvania games. Any suggestions, Wonder Boy in Monster World maybe? Any suggestions would be cool.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night? :lol:

jk…Wonder Boy in Monster World is a good choice. Aggelos is another. I’m sure there are more.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I didn't end up finding Popful Mail's changes too bad; most of the game's problems were fundamental to the handling itself, not the numbers involved.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Syndicate
32-bit

Post by Syndicate »

Syndicate wrote:
  1. Super Mario World (Wii U)
  2. Super Metroid (Wii U)
  3. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii U)
  4. Phantasy Star II (Gen)
  5. Rocket Knight Adventures (Gen)
  6. Thunder Force III or Steel Empire (Gen)
  7. Castlevania Symphony of the Night (XB)

...one down and hopefully a few more to go. SMW was a fun trip and still my favorite 2D Mario game. Rocket Knight is tough but fair and it's going to take a minute to get my shmup legs back w/Steel Empire. Super Metroid is also looking finishable by September as well.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

The Adventure of LOLO done!
4. Popful Mail (SCD)

5. Shantae (GBC)

I loved LOLO, I do regret looking up how to solve one room's puzzles and then vouched not to do that again. I did look up suggestions for an enemy in one other room. So I can say that I solved 48 rooms solo, one with help and one by giving in... I guess that would have been equivalent to calling the Nintendo Power 1-900 line back in the day.

One more left. I have had this since Limited Run rereleased Shantae for the GBC now it's time to make all the LR collectors online upset and play this bad boy.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
SpaceBooger wrote:I now want more platform/adventure/rpg/metroidvania games. Any suggestions, Wonder Boy in Monster World maybe? Any suggestions would be cool.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night? :lol:

jk…Wonder Boy in Monster World is a good choice. Aggelos is another. I’m sure there are more.

I’d highly recommend the Monster World games too.
Another interesting choice might be Ufouria The Saga for NES.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

SpaceBooger wrote:The Adventure of LOLO done!
4. Popful Mail (SCD)

5. Shantae (GBC)

I loved LOLO, I do regret looking up how to solve one room's puzzles and then vouched not to do that again. I did look up suggestions for an enemy in one other room. So I can say that I solved 48 rooms solo, one with help and one by giving in... I guess that would have been equivalent to calling the Nintendo Power 1-900 line back in the day.

One more left. I have had this since Limited Run rereleased Shantae for the GBC now it's time to make all the LR collectors online upset and play this bad boy.

I remember there was one late game room that I just couldn't figure out; it involved a ton of extremely tight timing and correctly figuring out the right pushes while in that timing window, so it was kind of a mad dash and I had to look up the solution.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Aggelos is another.

I just got this because it was only $1.50 and 90% off at Fanatical.
I'll give it a try soon, it looks great.
BLOG | BST