Virtual Boy help/questions on parts

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Virtual Boy help/questions on parts

Post by noiseredux »

A friend might have an extra Virtual Boy in need of some love. It's just the headset, and needs a replacement eyeshade which is easy enough. And looks like I can get a stand easy enough.

First question is about the AC adapter - Amazon has em used for $50+. I guess I just assumed it used the AC as a SNES or NES. No? Is $50+ really what these things run?

Also, controllers... how expensive are these suckers? Does anyone have an extra?

I'd potentially take the VB off his hands as a project to reassemble in pieces, depending on how much I'd have to sink into getting it working.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Re: Virtual Boy help/questions on parts

Post by SamuraiMegas »

noiseredux wrote:A friend might have an extra Virtual Boy in need of some love. It's just the headset, and needs a replacement eyeshade which is easy enough. And looks like I can get a stand easy enough.

First question is about the AC adapter - Amazon has em used for $50+. I guess I just assumed it used the AC as a SNES or NES. No? Is $50+ really what these things run?

Also, controllers... how expensive are these suckers? Does anyone have an extra?

I'd potentially take the VB off his hands as a project to reassemble in pieces, depending on how much I'd have to sink into getting it working.

I'm in the same position as your friend and from what I remember it'll cost about125-150 to get all the parts if you just have a headset. Can't afford all the parts for it right now, and it's just sitting next to me on a shelf...
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

IIRC some people have made recreations of many parts. Brand new, but also very expensive. I don't think this is an easy fix.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

You can get a replacement power adapter for less than $50, that's just ridiculous.

Do you have the VB "tap"? That's the expensive part.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Virtu ... SwLLRdcHPv

Also... https://console5.com/store/super-ninten ... ginal.html

And if you don't want to use an official power adapter, this adapter will let you use a standard one... https://console5.com/store/super-ninten ... cable.html

If you need the tap, there's a couple on eBay right now for decent looking prices.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

What is the vb tap exactly?

And I'm confused about the ac adapter... is it the same as snes or is that what that thing you linked does?
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I've never owned a VB, but from multiple internet sources the VB and SNES power adapters are interchangeable. The "tap" is needed to plug the power adapter into the VB, from what I understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlal-rC-8Dw

I think the tap is inserted where the battery pack would be.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ah gotcha. I actually didn't even realize batteries were an option.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

It was a portable console, after all... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQVr6qop0CY
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I got my Virtual Boy quite some time ago now, but I remember sourcing the tap to be the only thing I had to do to get my one running. It wasn't easy to find back when, but I suspect that was more to do with me being in Europe, where the console never released, rather than it being truly difficult to locate. I remember my woes with finding a power source being one of, if not the first post I ever made on Racketboy.

My Virtual Boy actually did come with 2 controllers, so I have a spare. However, it seems they're a bit pricy nowadays and I'd be concerned with the cost and logistics of trying to get it to you from the UK. I've not had the best of luck with international postage in the last few years.

I got super lucky with my VB back in the day (about a decade ago). The VB itself cost me about £65 plus £30 postage from the states and was sold untested. When it arrived it worked, had a spare controller, the stand and eyepiece still attached and working, and it came with 6 loose games - VB Wario Land, Mario's Tennis, Mario Clash, Red Alarm, Teleroboxer and Virtual Baseball.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Noise, there's a couple taps on eBay right now for about half the price of the rest of them. Snatch one up now if you need it before someone else does!