The DOOM Thread

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
MrPopo

Re: The DOOM Thread

Post by MrPopo »

So I'm watching videos of it to see how it looks, and two things:

1. Everyone keeps the games settings way too dark
2. The voxel effect ends up being very subtle outside of the pickups; active monsters are still going through their routines to face you properly to attack you, so you really only notice it when melee circle strafing or getting up behind inactive monsters and rotating around. It also goes to show that the base game has a good number of angles rendered for the sprites in the first place.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

The darkness settings are likely so the raytracing mod looks better - I usually turn up the ambient light from the default too.
You can switch between enemies instantaneous turning or smooth turning.
The main reason I'm using this is for VR - it is pretty necessary with the free-look to get proper Immersion. The hell-knights and revenants are really reaching in and punching you in the face.
https://github.com/hh79/gzdoomvr
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

This Doom 32X fan project has just gotten ridiculous...

https://youtu.be/xsoB4YJkPes?si=GmpIu3IBw6EPmI5p

Now supports the Zero Tolerance link cable between 2 Genesis consoles.

Really impressive what they've done. Music can even leverage Sega CD HW if attached to offload CPU cycles.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Yeah, I tried it out. I'm amazed they managed split-screen 2 player as well.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Anapan wrote:Yeah, I tried it out. I'm amazed they managed split-screen 2 player as well.

Really crazy to see. Amazing what a passionate team can do ... also not under release deadlines and budget/time constraints helps 8)

What'd you run it on? Sounded like some flashcarts were having issues with the large 40mb file.

Little sidebar... but was this this large file size the same crowd issue with Pier Solar or is there some type of copy protection? I'd love to play that but no longer available on Xbox storefront.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I played it on a Mega Everdrive Pro. Krikzz made it to 1-UP the MegaSD, so I think it's still the top flash-cart on a Genesis.
Someone actually Ported Doom to the Mega ED Pro as a native FPGA app (not a Genesis rom) a while back.
IIRC you can fully play Pier Solar - even with CD Audio on the Mega ED Pro.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

I played version 2.0 of 32X DOOM R on my Mister. I would assume the new release version still works. You also have to use an EU ROM version iirc.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I finally picked up DOOM Eternal. It was on sale, and I noticed that they finally dropped all third party DRM, and I finally got a new video card. So the stars were all aligned. :lol:

What sets this game apart from DOOM 2016? Like, is there a defining thing that makes Eternal a much different experience than 2016? I'm about an hour into the game, and it mostly feels the same. I've only played DOOM 2016 once, and it was a few years ago now, but I don't really notice much of a difference.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Eternal cranks things up a notch. Adding in the grenades and flamethrower becomes an important part of your rotation to keep health and armor up. You do a lot more weapon switching as you go from monster type to monster type. It becomes much more of a coordinated dance, where you have to hit the right steps at the right times or you're going to get trashed.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Melek-Ric
32-bit

Post by Melek-Ric »

I like DE, but you learn very quickly that the game wants you to play a certain way and punishes greatly for not doing so. It does this by giving weapons very little ammo so you have to switch them often in fights. And Quick-switching is often the best way to take down bigbads to maximize DPS.
"Challenging my unit was both foolish and reckless! You are nothing more than my prey... one that is soon to be retired!"