Getting Hyped with the Hyper Neo Geo 64

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Getting Hyped with the Hyper Neo Geo 64

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

So I spent some time tonight playing around with my new Hyper Neo Geo 64 board, and I figured I'd share my thoughts on it since it's a pretty uncommon arcade board, and I assume most here haven't had the opportunity to play one.

My first thought was "Jesus Christ, this thing is gigantic." The board itself almost doesn't fit in my MVS cabinet, and the cartridges are almost twice as big as an MVS cartridge. They are, however, metal as fuck. No, seriously, I mean the cartridges are literally made out of metal. It's fantastic.

As I imagine many of you know, there are different "types" of Hyper Neo Geo 64 boards - one that plays the four fighting games (which I what I have), one that plays the two racing games, one that only plays the one rail shooter, and one that only plays the two Samurai Shodown games (which the first board I mentioned also plays). There's not just the "Hyper Neo Geo 64" like there is the "Neo Geo MVS." The board I have will NOT play a racing game, for example, even if I had it in a cabinet with a racing wheel.

I haven't played any of the four games I have in a lot of depth yet, but I've spent probably 20 minutes with each one, so I figured I'd share my thoughts on them.

Buriki One
I think this game has a really neat concept, but I personally don't care for it. It's kind of an MMA game where each character represents a different fighting style (the backstory is something about a world championship to see which fighting style is the best). You've got a sort of all-around fighting style called "Total Fighting," a few schools of karate, Taekwondo, boxing, sumo, professional wrestling, judo, Greco-Roman wrestling, Muay Thai, tai chi, and aikido.

The movement is what really makes this one unique. You don't use the C and D buttons at all; A moves you to the left, and B moves you to the right. The joystick is how you jump, duck, and attack. That's really what I don't much care for - the control scheme. It's not that it's bad - it definitely works - but I, personally, don't care for it.

Fatal Fury: Wild Ambition
This is definitely my favorite of the four. It plays more or less like your standard Fatal Fury game but in a 3D environment. I think that's why I like it so much - by and large, they kept the formula about the same. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Samurai Shodown 64
My cart for this game is EXTREMELY temperamental, and from what I've read online, that seems to be the case with most copies of this game. I had to insert, remove, and reinsert the game probably half a dozen times before it would work, and from browsing the Neo-Geo forums and Google, that seems to be a common thing. When I finally DID get it work, though, I had a blast with it. The gameplay is smooth, and the fighting feels similar to what you're used to with the MVS/AES/CD Samurai Shodown games. The addition of the 3D environment definitely adds a new dynamic - the D button now moves you along the Z axis - and while I'm not sure it's better off with it, it doesn't really detract from the gameplay. I definitely don't think it's as good as the 2D Samurai Shodown games, but it's a good game nonetheless.

Oh, but they took out Charlotte. What the actual fuck, man? Charlotte was my girl. Gimme that French style epee fencing, bruh.

Samurai Shodown 64: Warriors Rage
Why SNK gave the game this name in the West when there's another (completely different) game called Samurai Shodown: Warriors Rage, I'll never know, but it doesn't really make much difference, but there's no reason to play or remember this game. It's just bad. It plays basically like Samurai Shodown 64 but much slower. Take that game, cut the speed by about 60%, and you're got its sequel. And there's STILL no fucking Charlotte. That's another strike against it.

It's not unplayable, especially if you're used to bad and sluggish fighting games like Shaq Fu and the early Mortal Kombat games, but if you've got a board that can play this game, then you've got a board that can play the first Samurai Shodown 64, and that's a better game in every regard.
Patron Saint of Bitch Mode
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Re: Getting Hyped with the Hyper Neo Geo 64

Post by jmbarnes101 »

So you can play 6 games on this, 2 of which you don't like and 2 you haven't tried? Is there a way to play regular Neo Geo games on this?
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

jmbarnes101 wrote:So you can play 6 games on this, 2 of which you don't like and 2 you haven't tried? Is there a way to play regular Neo Geo games on this?

There are a total of 7 Hyper Neo Geo 64 games, but you can only play four of them on this particular board. And yes, I dislike two of them, but the only HNG64 games I haven't played are the three that this board won't play; I would need to find the racing board and the light gun board to play the other three games.

No, this was supposed to be SNK's successor to the MVS. It would be like playing a Super Nintendo game on a Nintendo 64. This is a bit like a Vectrex on steroids in that it's AWESOME to have in your collection, but your game selection is very limited. Not something that practical people would ever buy, to be sure.
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

I didn't even know the Neo Geo 64 existed until a few months ago when I saw it on an episode of,"classic game room". It's great to read more details about this obscure chapter of gaming history.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Anayo wrote:I didn't even know the Neo Geo 64 existed until a few months ago when I saw it on an episode of,"classic game room". It's great to read more details about this obscure chapter of gaming history.

That's where I first heard about it, though I first saw his video's about it a year or two ago IIRC. It's a neat (albeit gigantic) piece of tech.
9Volt
8-bit

Post by 9Volt »

As a huge SNK fan, I knew about Hyper Neo Geo 64 for a long time. Never played though,
It is a pity, always wanted to try this games. Emulation is not a good option as far as I know and the playstation port of Fatal Fury is not good.

Samurai Shodown 64-2 have a pretty cool char that I always liked:

Only game that I played with him is Neo Geo Battle Coliseum and the Neo Geo Pocket version of Samurai Shodown. :/
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Asura is definitely a cool character, but for me, he just can't make up for how slow that game is in comparison to the first Samurai Shodown 64 and the 2D games. =/