New commissions: N64 handheld portable in GBA Organizer case

Discuss all hardware and software modifications
bacteria
Next-Gen

New commissions: N64 handheld portable in GBA Organizer case

Post by bacteria »

I have taken on a commission from a guy in the UK for a N64 portable, with view of also making a MegaDrive clone system. He supplied most of the parts needed for the commission(s) too, including the carry cases, screens, etc.

There is a fair bit of case work needed, and i'm going to document parts of the build in this thread. Initially he has commissioned the N64 system, so that is what I will start with, then assuming he likes how the build is going, is likely to commission me further for the MegaDrive system too.

There are two sizes of GBA carry case provided, the smaller one will be for the MegaDrive, the other one is ideal for making into a N64 system. In fact, I just bought one on ebay as these cases are hard to find as after the commissions are done i'll probably make another one for sale - why not.

Anyway, the buyer as well as paying for the commission sent me these items - you get the idea what will be in the build from the photos:

Using the larger of the GBA carry cases, I need to remove the hinges, carry handle, then add section to the left and right sides as the button and d-pad areas need replacing, amend the screen area for what I want, incorporate shoulder button areas, holes for fan; then some sanding and painting. Probably going to have the system orange, if not then purple (not decided yet); may go for 2 tone effect, will see how it goes.

Internal of case will be gutted of course, no need for cartridge slot as buyer supplied an Everdrive v2.5 so only needs slot for an SD card.
Last edited by bacteria on Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am the Bacman
bacteria
Next-Gen

Re: New commissions - N64 and MegaDrive (clone) systems

Post by bacteria »

Confirmed with the buyer that I will keep the hinges and opening mechanism of the GBA case (as in photo 3 above post) intact, just remove the carry handle and make that smooth and look integrated.

That has the advantages of not only keeping the system easy to open later on, but also allow me to do neater wiring inside. If those parts were removed then filling in the areas removed would be good but not perfect and the casing would have had to be closed up and screwed down which would have been a compromise.

Best option IMO.

I am not a fan of doing much board trimming to motherboards unless necessary as it can make things less reliable. Also, issues aren't always apparent - we have all seen how an N64 board can be trimmed fairly significantly, and still work - however it transpires that for example, while this is true, removing some of the small ceramic capacitors on the reverse of the N64 board can stop same games saving!

Anyway, with the case i'm using, minimal board trimming is needed, apart from safe areas, may need to trim a little of the PSone screen motherboard but will be "safe" cuts.

I need to do a fair bit of case work, when done will show pics of what I have done.
I am the Bacman
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Looking forward to the results. I'd love a portable N64 since I exclusively play portable systems these days due to moving around so much!
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Well, see how you like the build I do on this system... when i've finished his commission(s) i'll be free to do another :wink:

I quoted roughly 3-4 months to the buyer, as always like to leave "wiggle room" as some times I can go days without having time to do modding, other days I can spend a few hours and get a lot done; you'll see progress as it unfolds here.

One interesting thing though, there are more than 1 type of GBA Organiser. The Logic 3 one i'm using in this project is a bit larger than the one that looks like a GBA, which means a better screen, less board trimming and less risk of failures, so benefit. Also, the larger case means a game cartridge won't have to stick out and look bad, as some others I have seen doing do (this project is using an Everdrive so not relevant, just commenting).
I am the Bacman
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

bacteria wrote:Well, see how you like the build I do on this system... when i've finished his commission(s) i'll be free to do another :wink:

If your price range is anywhere close to this then I'll have to remain an interested observer only! :shock:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-Modded-Nintendo-64-Handheld-Console-System-ONE-OF-A-KIND-HAND-MADE-S004-/301950606347?hash=item464da89c0b:g:LbUAAOSwvgdW3PXO
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

No problem.

It takes a lot of effort, a lot of time and skill to make a system. Hence price.
I am the Bacman
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Making progress on the casing already.

Removed the light grey edging (that wasn't easy) and hinge holders; planned out how to do the shoulder and "Z" buttons, also the placement for the other buttons and joystick too. Cut off the carry handle, need to smooth that down to look like it didn't have one in the first place.

When i've done that i'll also work out the screen placement too.

Looking at and holding the case, the d-pad placement shape in the GBA Organiser case is in the perfect position for the joystick instead, the other two button holes are in the perfect place for "A" and "B" buttons, so no point reinventing the wheel. The "C" buttons i'll mount above the "A" and "B" (the "C" buttons on the N64 are useful but apart from games like Banjo they aren't "reaction" keys. The D-pad is used in some games but not many, so it is needed but does not need prominence, so will be likely lower on the case than the joystick, and only a small d-pad, like the one the GameCube uses, is needed.
I am the Bacman
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

bacteria wrote:No problem.

It takes a lot of effort, a lot of time and skill to make a system. Hence price.

Oh absolutely. I genuinely have the utmost respect for people with your skills and will be very interested in following this thread...unfortunately I don't have the bank balance to partake right now...maybe when I move to Korea. :lol:
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

Had to get rid of the carry handle and smooth the areas down

Here is what the inside of the case looks like. Since this photo I have removed all the parts inside; also removed the rods in the hinges to release the top and also grey edging.

Cut out the screen area and d-pad area, need to do the other buttons next. As you see, the large screen works fine (5" PSone screen).

I will paint around 2mm outside the screen frame hole and on the edges so it looks nice.
I am the Bacman
bacteria
Next-Gen

Post by bacteria »

I had planned to cut out some of the sides of the grey plastic to make flaps for the left shoulder button, right shoulder button and also "Z" buttons; however the plastic was going to be too rigid and would weaken over time; also as each side would need to be separated for each button, would look a bit strange as well as weakening the casing.

I therefore decided to use round buttons, about 6mm diameter instead. It will look tidy, be reliable too.

The d-pad will be mounted above the joystick, which makes sense; the "C" buttons will be above the "A" and "B" ones using tact switches so don't need to stick out which they would otherwise. That allows speaker holes at the front of the case too and will make the system look more symmetrical.
I am the Bacman