Best Android tablet games without a gamepad

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
marurun

Best Android tablet games without a gamepad

Post by marurun »

I got a Nexus 7 for Christmas and I'm eager to find some interesting games that work well with the touch screen. I'm not really all that interested in finding a Bluetooth controller and doing emulation or action games. I'm more interested in playing to the tablet's strength: a high-resolution screen with a sensitive touch screen. What are some great puzzle or adventure or RPG titles out for Android that you've experienced that make for a strong touch screen experience?

So far, all I've got is match-3 junk... Though that does work well. I think match-3 games actually work better on a phone, because it's easier to do the swap with your thumb while you hold the phone. The tablet is just big enough it's actually kind of a pain.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Re: Best Android tablet games without a gamepad

Post by Erik_Twice »

FTL is on Android and it's very good.

You also have a bunch of boardgames. I heavily recommend Steam, for starters but it's a very hardcore game that might not be to everyone's liking. You also have Space Hulk, and lots of Euros.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
marurun

Post by marurun »

I hadn't thought of that, but that could work pretty well. I wonder if Ticket to Ride is any good on a tablet. It was too small to play well on a phone.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Ticket to Ride and Talisman are soso on phone but awesome on a tablet. Warhammer Quest is another good one (though heavy with DLC that never goes on sale). Though I would suggest Titan HD if you want something meatier with strategy.
TSTR
Next-Gen

Post by TSTR »

Check out the app store on Amazon Underground (or whatever they are calling it). I know there is a good chunk of free stuff on there to try out, some of which would be great for a touch screen--like say Monument Valley, the Cut the Rope and Angry Birds series, Flow Free, Jetpack Joyride, etc.

EDYT: Just remembered The Room series and Machinarium too.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Hearthstone
Pokemon Shuffle
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Some games even if they weren't exactly intended for touch do play quite well to it like flight and racing games since you can finger along the screen like a flight stick/wheel fairly well. Shame it was pulled, though you could side load it elsewhere but Crazy Taxi and Afterburner Climax from Sega are solid (I got it before Sega removed it.) Puzzles fall into this too like the ported Chu Chu Rocket. Limbo handles pretty well on the panel.

RPGs are an easy one, the stuff Square-Enix has ported from their 8/16bit days they remastered like the FF and DQ titles work well tapping away as do games made for it originally like Dragon Fantasy which is also a kind of funny game too.

Some unique stuff for touch that might be worth looking at: Bit Dungeon, Flight Control, Galaxy on Fire 2, Out there Omega, Pac-Man 256, Quest Lord, Sky Force 2014, Star Command, Terraria, Vega Conflict, Waking Mars, and Zookeeper. The iOS game A Dark Night recently was converted by a third party to Android and it's an easy suggestion.

That's a good selection of games I own that fit what you're asking but I've got stuff that really needs a gamepad or if you're one of those types who can handle gamepad like play/precision on a panel which I can't as my thumbs will float away since I can't feel it which is a disaster in arcade/console conversion stuff among other things.

TSTR wrote:Check out the app store on Amazon Underground (or whatever they are calling it).

Yes that's what they call it. Since google is being childish about Amazon they've blocked normal loading of Amazon store and also their competing Amazon Video services. If you google amazon underground, you can side load it, and from there then load any freebies they spit out daily. I haven't bothered with that, but I did load Amazon Prime Video so I can watch stuff on my tablet. Oddly they don't block Music which is competing too.
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Post by marlowe221 »

Cardinal Quest 2 is cool if you are into Roguelikes. I would also recommend Cavern and POWDER in the same genre.

For turn-based tactics, get Battle for Wesnoth.

Also, get King of Dragon Pass if it's available on Android. It's literally one of the greatest games ever made on any platform (ever). 8)
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

There's a listing for it in Android but it appears it's also a pissy game that only works with certain stuff. My nvidia shield is as vanilla and open as googles own nexus7 which I had and it appears to like neither of those so I don't know what the deal is.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I mostly play emulators with a game pad. I did try to find screen-controlled fun games and enjoy the ones I found. I never looked after sometime 2014.
In no order:

Momonga
Grabatron
Gear Jack
Pac'n Jump
Ridiculous Fishing
Riptide GP2

That is all.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage