Best way to play Saturn and Dreamcast?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
chuckster
32-bit

Best way to play Saturn and Dreamcast?

Post by chuckster »

Hey guys, I'm just now getting into original hardware after emulating for years on 16-bit consoles and PS1/2 and even Dolphin. I have a Saturn and Dreamcast from way back when, but I have a few questions.

I know the Dreamcast can play burnt CDs, but can the Saturn? If so, I have no worries there!

My Dreamcast won't recognize any controllers. I've read that this is a common problem, is is easily fixed?

I've seen GDEMU/Rhea around a bit, is it an easy install? I mean, I have seen the install instructions and they seem mostly straightforward, but has anyone here had issues? Do these devices work as well as I'm dreaming of right now?

If no on all of the above questions, is emulation any good for either system these days? I'd rather stick to the consoles, since I have them already, but if emulation is fairly accurate and user friendly, I'm game. After trying some emulators for each about 2 years ago, I was more frustrated than entertained. NullDC did a pretty good job with the couple of games (Sonic Adventure and Soul Caliber), but it was pretty bare bones and seemed to have a ways to go in overall presentation. I haven't tried Yabase but SSF for Saturn is a UI nightmare. I played Guardian Heroes on it and loved the game, but every time I'd load it I'd have one issue or the other and take a few minutes to get going. Maybe it's me, but hey, I just want to play games!
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: Best way to play Saturn and Dreamcast?

Post by Reprise »

chuckster wrote:I know the Dreamcast can play burnt CDs, but can the Saturn? If so, I have no worries there!

Technically, the Saturn cannot play burnt CDs in the same way the Dreamcast can do it straight out of the box. However, some clever people have found a way of doing it if you have (or get) the Action Replay. I've not tried it or read into it, but this thread should explain it all: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=47890
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
KalessinDB
Next-Gen

Post by KalessinDB »

Saturn can be modded, either a soft mod via Action Replay or a hard mod with a chip. I hear you can also swap trick it too, but that's just not a good idea in the long run.

The controller ports on a DC have a fuse that can be replaced, if you can solder it's not particularly difficult to do.

Can't speak to Rhea (haven't installed it myself), but GDEMU basically couldn't be easier to install. And it works great. I imagine Rhea will be similar if not the same, as it's made by the same guy, but just be advised they're both gonna be pricey so unless you're sure you love the system you might wanna hold off for now. Though on the flip side, there's generally no problem finding someone to buy them secondhand.
Gunning for a licensed NES NTSC-U set, follow the madness and poverty here!
Cheat sheet of my collection, always looking to increase it. 405/677 licensed games, 46/"95" unlicensed
Chronically out of date BST thread
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

KalessinDB wrote:The controller ports on a DC have a fuse that can be replaced, if you can solder it's not particularly difficult to do.

Can't speak to Rhea (haven't installed it myself), but GDEMU basically couldn't be easier to install. And it works great. I imagine Rhea will be similar if not the same, as it's made by the same guy, but just be advised they're both gonna be pricey so unless you're sure you love the system you might wanna hold off for now. Though on the flip side, there's generally no problem finding someone to buy them secondhand.

Thanks for the info, I'm not experienced in soldering, but looking at pictures online it seems like it's an easy fix. I don't see much of a way to mess it up since it's such a spread out board and just one little fuse.

The GD-EMUdoes look very straightforward too, I will definitely go for one and the Rhea (if it's a similar install) if they're $100 or so each. I can't justify much more. If you really get into the console, you'd save money in the long run (or short run, for Saturn, yikes!).
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Both GDEMU and RHEA work fantastic and very easy to install.
deathsled
128-bit

Post by deathsled »

I still have my original Saturn but I've done all my Saturn gaming through SSF for 10 years now. Gives me easy access to pretty much the entire catalog, gives me save states, and I even have a Saturn USB pad to complete the experience.
Catch22
8-bit

Post by Catch22 »

For the a mod chip, no soldering is really needed to hook it up to the Saturn. And the soldering that is needed, you can ask the seller of the chip to solder the power wire on for you. It's so simple to do though. This mod chip is probably the easiest to install (V3 Universal) and burning backups as well as backing up discs is a cinch also. Hardware is cheap. Except for saving a tiny amount of space, why would anyone resort to emulation is beyond me. Playing on original hardware with a real controller is key for me. The USB "Saturn" controllers doesn't have the robust feel.

chuckster wrote:Hey guys, I'm just now getting into original hardware after emulating for years on 16-bit consoles and PS1/2 and even Dolphin. I have a Saturn and Dreamcast from way back when, but I have a few questions.

I know the Dreamcast can play burnt CDs, but can the Saturn? If so, I have no worries there!

My Dreamcast won't recognize any controllers. I've read that this is a common problem, is is easily fixed?

I've seen GDEMU/Rhea around a bit, is it an easy install? I mean, I have seen the install instructions and they seem mostly straightforward, but has anyone here had issues? Do these devices work as well as I'm dreaming of right now?

If no on all of the above questions, is emulation any good for either system these days? I'd rather stick to the consoles, since I have them already, but if emulation is fairly accurate and user friendly, I'm game. After trying some emulators for each about 2 years ago, I was more frustrated than entertained. NullDC did a pretty good job with the couple of games (Sonic Adventure and Soul Caliber), but it was pretty bare bones and seemed to have a ways to go in overall presentation. I haven't tried Yabase but SSF for Saturn is a UI nightmare. I played Guardian Heroes on it and loved the game, but every time I'd load it I'd have one issue or the other and take a few minutes to get going. Maybe it's me, but hey, I just want to play games!
marurun

Post by marurun »

But does anyone still provide the chips any longer? I can't help but wonder if that ship has sailed.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

If I was to buy a chipped region modded (and 60hz/50hz switch moded) Japanese Saturn, does anyone what I would need to get it to work in the UK?

I know I'd need a 230V-110V voltage converter thing? Are they expensive? Would I still need a Japanese-UK plug converter or just the voltage converter?

Anyone from the UK ever had (or still have) a Japanese system and know what you need to make sure it works in the UK?

Thanks.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

EDIT: Removing this as some of my info was incorrect and I don't want to mislead anyone and cause their consoles to break!
Last edited by alienjesus on Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.