Post by Lazer »

Hello racket-people! I'm considering beginning a 16-bit RPG. My choices are

Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy III
Secret of Mana
Crusader of Centy
Shining Force II
Phantasy Star IV

Any opinions on which I should play? I don't get to play very often, so whatever game I start will probably take weeks to finish (if I finish at all). I haven't beaten an RPG since beating FF 1 and Dragon Warrior several times each when I was a kid.

I'm pretty sure the sequels listed above are more or less independent of their predecessors, but let me know if I'm wrong.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Help me pick a 16-bit RPG to play!

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I have beaten all of these.

Chrono Trigger - This would probably be my pick. A classic "beginner's RPG" - or a great RPG for anyone really. It's simple to pick up and play and very streamlined, and absolutely brilliant in terms of presentation and design.

Final Fantasy III - My favorite game of all time. Incredible atmosphere and cast of characters but not nearly as refined and tight as Chrono Trigger. Definitely play both eventually though; if you love CT you will love this as well.

Secret of Mana - One of the best action-RPGs ever. Features an incredibly organic and pretty setting with some fantastic accompanying music. Controls are a touch wonky and the game starts slow, but it's definitely worth sticking with.

Crusader of Centy - Worst one on this list. A poor man's Link to the Past with some awkward slippery controls and a total lack of direction or purpose. Worth one playthrough for the action-RPG fanatic but everyone else should steer clear.

Shining Force II - Well-designed strategy RPG with a great (huge) cast of characters. Mechanics are easy to grasp so perhaps the best strategy RPG for genre newbies.

Phantasy Star IV - Best one of the original four. Great anime graphical style. I wouldn't play this without playing the others first as the stories are interwoven.
Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

Phantasy Star IV <-- play through this one. Its awesomeness! :mrgreen:
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

For all his talk about Ys I'm glad to see Bone knows quality.

I'd agree that the two best ones on that list are CT and FFVI.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Phantasy Star IV - Best one of the original four. Great anime graphical style. I wouldn't play this without playing the others first as the stories are interwoven.

You'll get more out of it, especially in regards to references, but it stands fine on its own as well.

I don't think you could go wrong with any game on the list except Crusader of Centy which is not for everyone.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

Chrono Trigger. 100% (Maybe FF3 on SNES)

The game is very tight, and focused, I think even on a first play through you can do most everything in under 25 hours fairly easily.

This post may be biased.
Ack

Post by Ack »

I would agree with the prevailing wisdom. Play Chrono Trigger. It is relatively easy, not overly long, provides a secondary challenge if you beat it and want to continue playing. It's also pretty to look at, nice to listen to, and controls well. This would be my choice for someone who doesn't play RPGs much. If you beat it, then we'll talk about the others.
Lazer
64-bit

Post by Lazer »

Alright... Chrono Trigger it is. I'll be playing on the Wii virtual console with a Wavebird. That will be nice for save-states, even though I'm sure the game itself has a save. They might be few and far between.

Thanks for the advice, I'll update with my progress once I get started :)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Plenty of save points in Chrono Trigger. Overworld saves + a couple of points per dungeon.

Hell you can even save
between the first and second forms of the final boss.
Lazer
64-bit

Post by Lazer »

Yeah it's good it has lots of saving, because save states are tricky on the VC. If you forget to go back to the Wii menu, you lose your save state.

So far, I'm having a great time with this game. I have
saved Queen Leene from Yakra
and I'm excited to see what happens next.

I believe this game has 13 possible endings... anyone seen them all?