BUMP CLUB - New Beat 'Em Ups every 3 Months - LIST UP!

Brawlers and Beatemups
mjmjr25

Re: BUMP CLUB - New Beat 'Em Ups every 3 Months

Post by mjmjr25 »

OP updated

Game list added to post 2

Game suggestions for post 2 welcome...
JoeAwesome
Next-Gen

Post by JoeAwesome »

Pretty nice list, but no Final Fight One love? Yeah, the original's old as dirt, and it's probably been done for TR, BUT IT'S FINAL FIGHT!

Alright, I got carried away, but it is the one arcade cab I'd love to own.

I'm digging Spawn, but that's also through rose-tinted glasses; Demolish Fist was fun in the arcade, iirc, but I haven't seen if I can emulate that (are reqs low?); and I hear good things on the KoV series. My official vote is coming soon!
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

I'm in.

Game suggestions:

Final Fight
Final Fight CD
Batman returns (snes and NES)
Maximum Carnage
Vigilante (nes and SMS)
TMNT II (nes)
Shatterhand (nes)
Bad Dudes (nes and arcade)
E-Swat (Genesis, arcade)
Captain America and the Avengers (snes, arcade, genesis)

Maybe all of those don't meet the qualifications, but thought I'd throw them out there.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

Just throwing this out there, but maybe if when the D&D games get picked, we could do some PS3/360 co-op?
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Luke - good call on Capt. America - spaced it and a very good game.

I added most, but I think Shatterhand and Bad Dudes are a little too close to "Action Platformer" which opens up a whole other pile of games...and then those open up things like Rush N' Attack, which then opens all of the Run N' Gun scrollers...

I think a good definer is does the screen allow you to move around - up and down, some backtracking, vs. an action platformer which is on one plane (or sometimes 2), and doesn't allow backtracking for items and such.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

You've got a huge list there, shouldn't big a big deal to get four from it. I'm not going to make any suggestions in the hopes that some games I haven't played will make the cut. :)
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

The idea is i'll toss them all on one of those spin-the-wheel-pick-a-winner-generators....first 4 spins will be the games for this quarter, unless one is in the same series (ie, if Sengoku 3 comes up, and then Sengoku 1 comes up, Sengoku 1 is back in the hopper until at least next time). The following quarter will have all the games from the original list - except those that have already been played.
Nyukki
128-bit

Post by Nyukki »

Not a huge fan of the genre, but maybe I just haven't played that one game to really convince me. I'm hoping this thread can entice me give some of these games a go. Never really tried getting as far as possible on one credit on one of these.

I always liked playing "Force Mode" in Tekken 3 as a kid.

Also, kind of hoping Oriental Legend gets picked at some point so I have an excuse to buy that consolised PGM that I saw the other day.
Weekend shmupper
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

mjmjr25 wrote:I think a good definer is does the screen allow you to move around - up and down, some backtracking, vs. an action platformer which is on one plane (or sometimes 2), and doesn't allow backtracking for items and such.

Disagree somewhat here - I'd definitely count games like Astro Boy Omega Factor and Altered Beast as Beat em ups, but those are single plane games.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I just call em belt scrollers, makes it easier to define what is and isn't in the genre.

I'm not familiar with ones that let you backtrack though, that sounds pretty interesting. Not something I'd want to see as a strict rule (Whereas "belt scroll only" is something I'd be fine with), but certainly would lead to more interesting discussion.

Very excited about this club, I've always loved this genre but never dug as deep into it as other arcade genres. No recommendations from me, but I'll definitely participate.