How's your TurboGrafx 16/PC Engine Going on

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
mas
Next-Gen

Re: How's your TurboGrafx 16/PC Engine Going on

Post by mas »

Played some riot zone? On the Wii. Game is an ok beat em up for the tg16 cd. Not as good as streets of rage or final fight 2 or 3 bug pretty good
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Played Blazing Lazers today. As far as I can tell, the first six stages are just a warm up for the last three. I quit after getting a game over on the area 8 boss, but I feel like I could get through this game pretty easily with some practice.

Also, it's really awesome.

I dunno, I always find stage 6 (the pyramid stage iirc) is one of the few that causes me issues. Probably 2nd hardest for me, after the final stage.

The bubble stage later on is super easy.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Anayo wrote:Image

My last Devil's Crush high score was 44 million, so I beat it by about 9 million this time.

Isn't there some sort of fluke way to essentially earn a perfect score in this game? I seem to remember someone talking about it in the early VC days and it put me off buying it.
Anayo
Next-Gen

Post by Anayo »

Betagam7 wrote:
Anayo wrote:Image

My last Devil's Crush high score was 44 million, so I beat it by about 9 million this time.

Isn't there some sort of fluke way to essentially earn a perfect score in this game? I seem to remember someone talking about it in the early VC days and it put me off buying it.

I hadn't heard of that, and when I went hunting on google for "Devil's crush perfect score" I couldn't find it. I've seen similar game-breaking stuff elsewhere before, though.

I'm only playing semi-casually so if someone with a PhD in Devil's Crush wants to correct me please do so, but as far as I can tell the table is segmented into 3 floors. Each floor contains different beasts you can wear down to unlock a path to a boss monster. If you kill the boss monster you get 1.5 million points or so. Other things to keep in mind are a shield you can obtain to prevent your ball from falling down the chute (send your ball through the center castle on floor 1 to do this), various parts of the table that grant you extra lives (like hitting the 3 orbs on floor 2 until all 3 of them are orange), and so on.

During this playthrough I earned 3 extra lives and broke down a barrier giving me easy access from floor 2 to floor 3, so I just kept going up there and killing boss monsters over and over again. Once I died I didn't fare as well anymore, since dying resets the barrier between floors 2 and 3 and I couldn't quite muster the mojo to break it down again.
mas
Next-Gen

Post by mas »

Got a turbo stick back and man is that thing a good arcade stick. Love playing the shmups on it. Too bad I can't hook it up to the Wii to play lords and god of thunder for it
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Surprised mayflash hasn't whipped out an adapter for that. :D

That grab you got was straight up fantastic. Enjoy it, then do what you got to do.
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Been playing 3 games tonight.

Started off with Dragon Spirit and, surprisingly made it all the way to up to stage 6 (I believe my previous best was stage 3!) I liked the slight switch-up in gameplay of the cavern level. Can anyone tell me what the egg icon you can get is for?

Had another shot at Afterburner 2. Much like with Sonic games, I'm never sure if I'm playing this correctly, is the best tactic to go fast or slow? Is there a best time to do either? I also don't get how the fastest speed is activated or quite how I'm supposed to dodge the homing missiles that always seem to get me from behind around level 9 or so.

Finally I made it up to Stage 23 of Gomola Speed starting from my password at level 20...only to find it pulls that devious trick of games of a certain generation and stops giving you restart points for the (I presume) last five stages. I guess it should be beatable with enough practice though! I've had a lot of fun with it (and its spiritual cousin Atomic Robo kid) even though both games make me hanker even more for an arcade stick!
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

Took delivery of Ankoku Densetsu today. As someone who grew up drooling over the gameplay of Rastan in the arcade, this is really my cup of tea, jumping around and slashing at things with big swords and axes. :lol:

I've heard it's not as good as the first Legendary Axe game, can anyone elaborate on why?
Betagam7
128-bit

Post by Betagam7 »

I'm still having a lot of fun with Ankoku Densetsu.

I made it as far as the boss of the stage that appears to be set inside some giant creatures intestines. The wormlike creatures with human faces creeped me the hell out. Anyway, the boss killed me in one hit.

What is it with games released in this time period and them always having having levels set inside of some living creature. This one doesn't even bother to explain why you're in such an environment!
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Betagam7 wrote:What is it with games released in this time period and them always having having levels set inside of some living creature. This one doesn't even bother to explain why you're in such an environment!

They always looked so cool, who really cared? The other big cliche was having elemental levels: a fire level, an underground level, an ice level, a water level. Cliche as all hell, but still (usually) really fun.