How much practice to beat arcade mode (street fighter?)

Brawlers and Beatemups
MotleyKhon

How much practice to beat arcade mode (street fighter?)

Post by MotleyKhon »

Hey guys how's it going?

Now, I've been building my fighters and really trying to get skilled up in arcade fighters.
Recently however, I'm starting to get disheartened. I've been playing street fighter 'properly' (lol, using special moves) for around 18 months. Maybe playing a few minutes a week. And it just dawned on me. I suck.
I've read up on the basics, the immtimidiate and advanced tips, and i can beat people that dont own street fighter easily (haha, bully.)

But I just can't beat arcade mode... (1cc of course) It doesn't matter what game - SF2, SF3, SFA or SF4. I get to about stage 4/5 and then I DIE
Oh, and I can;t beat Bison.

Today, Street fighter zero 3 came in the post. I got my *** handed to me on stage 3.. And then checked the difficulty, It was on two stars! :(

Is this normal? Or am I like.... The worst street fighter on earth?

TL;DR- What's the normal amount of practice it takes a casual player to 1cc arcade mode?
Kidpanda
64-bit

Re: How much practice to beat arcade mode (street fighter?)

Post by Kidpanda »

MotleyKhon wrote:Hey guys how's it going?

Now, I've been building my fighters and really trying to get skilled up in arcade fighters.
Recently however, I'm starting to get disheartened. I've been playing street fighter 'properly' (lol, using special moves) for around 18 months. Maybe playing a few minutes a week. And it just dawned on me. I suck.
I've read up on the basics, the immtimidiate and advanced tips, and i can beat people that dont own street fighter easily (haha, bully.)

But I just can't beat arcade mode... (1cc of course) It doesn't matter what game - SF2, SF3, SFA or SF4. I get to about stage 4/5 and then I DIE
Oh, and I can;t beat Bison.

Today, Street fighter zero 3 came in the post. I got my *** handed to me on stage 3.. And then checked the difficulty, It was on two stars! :(

Is this normal? Or am I like.... The worst street fighter on earth?

TL;DR- What's the normal amount of practice it takes a casual player to 1cc arcade mode?

With AI on a fighting game you have to learn to bait and watch for patterns. AI will always do same moves when certain distance, aggressive play when under 1/3 life, etc. AI just cheats plain and simple you just have to learn to do the same.
marurun

Post by marurun »

The first time I beat the original SF2 on the SNES was to stand in the corner and do a straight up-and-down jumping roundhouse kick every time Bison came close. Took a lot of time and patience, but eventually it worked. Ryu, Ken, and Chun Li work well with this strategy. This was before I had appropriate finger coordination to do special moves.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

MotleyKhon wrote:Now, I've been building my fighters and really trying to get skilled up in arcade fighters.
Recently however, I'm starting to get disheartened. I've been playing street fighter 'properly' (lol, using special moves) for around 18 months.

using special moves won't make you victorious in SF; gotta learn the combos as well (combination of low, med and hard buttons attacks) and don't be too much offensive minded; there are also defensive stragety as well.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
MotleyKhon

Post by MotleyKhon »

sevin0seven wrote:
MotleyKhon wrote:Now, I've been building my fighters and really trying to get skilled up in arcade fighters.
Recently however, I'm starting to get disheartened. I've been playing street fighter 'properly' (lol, using special moves) for around 18 months.

using special moves won't make you victorious in SF; gotta learn the combos as well (combination of low, med and hard buttons attacks) and don't be too much offensive minded; there are also defensive stragety as well.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys!

Sevin, ermmmm. The "special moves" was supposed to be tounge in cheek (sorry if you missed that)

But yes, I have a few combos down (mostly the ones straight in challenge/trial mode)
As for playing offensively... I think this may be where I'm going wrong. I have no patience

What is the most productive practice method to improve against AI/ people?
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

MotleyKhon wrote:What is the most productive practice method to improve against AI/ people?

learn the AI patterns...people as well.

in street fighter series patience are mostly required when fighting any (AI/people) opponents; but not all fighter series requires patience..
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here