Genesis Controllers on a Atari Flashback ?

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
arcadifvid
32-bit

Genesis Controllers on a Atari Flashback ?

Post by arcadifvid »

ive been thinking of getting on some atari gaming. since most of the games im looking for are included on the atari flashback, ive decided to just get one of those instead. just one question, as sega genesis controllers tend to work on the classic 2600/7800 given their similarity on connectors, is it the same case for the flashback? will sega genesis/mega drive controllers work as well on the atari flashback? i know they have included joysticks, but im thinking this would be an added bonus of playing the familiar games in a different spin.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Re: Genesis Controllers on a Atari Flashback ?

Post by Fragems »

As far as I can remember they do but I don't have one to test the idea out on right now. I'll check google.

Looks like it should work according to the tid bits of info I found from a quick search. Might want to wait for someone who has one laying around to confirm it though.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

Yup, Genesis controllers work on the Flashback, and the included controllers work on a Genesis.
I've only owned the Flashback 2 and 2+, but they're all clone systems with well-made clone controllers. The Flashback 2 can actually play original carts with a mod as the SOC is a reverse engineered 2600 on a single chip. You can use all the original Atari 2600 controllers on the Flashback as well - paddles are necessary for full enjoyment of the included pong game.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ApolloBoy
128-bit

Post by ApolloBoy »

The controllers on the original Flashback use the same pinout as most Famiclones and so Genesis controllers will not work.
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

The Flashback 4 can original controllers, so I assume that Genesis ones will work. I dont have my Genesis stuff handy so I cannot test it for you.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

ApolloBoy wrote:The controllers on the original Flashback use the same pinout as most Famiclones and so Genesis controllers will not work.

That would be the "7800" Flashback which has miniature 7800 looking controllers and console pictured on the left below. Stupid move, it has 9 pin ports but not 2600 joystck compatible.

Flashback 2 and later models all support regular 2600 Joysticks which includes Genesis Gamepads. There is a difference in emulation quality as well as the selection of games of each version.

Atari PlugnPlay Guide - http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=52&p=561423#p561423

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

shallowgamer
128-bit

Post by shallowgamer »

I live for these moments; when a question is asked and CRT Gamer steps in with a definitive answer, along with a reference to a thread full of amazing stuff to boot. I learn something new every time you post.
arcadifvid
32-bit

Post by arcadifvid »

thank you all so much! :D getting one by the end of the month hopefully