Why are some gamers so desperate to go pro digital?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
JC48573
128-bit

Why are some gamers so desperate to go pro digital?

Post by JC48573 »

up to the point where they just want physical copies gone for good.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Why are some gamers so desperate to go pro digital?

Post by dsheinem »

why are some so resistant to it?

why is the sky blue?

why ask why? try Bud Dry.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

I say we bury all physical copies of games in the desert somewhere. They'll never dig them up.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

There are lots of advantages to digital media. If I didn't collect games I would have already made the switch. I went (mostly) digital for music a long time ago.
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

I've never heard of someone wanting physical copies gone, but why wouldn't gamers want there to be digital copies? It's more convenient.
irixith
Next-Gen

Post by irixith »

JC48573 wrote:up to the point where they just want physical copies gone for good.

-Convenience-
The Nintendo eShop provides a great example of this. On release day, games are available in the shop at midnight. Why bother travelling to a store the following day, or waiting for a shipment in the mail? It's right there, downloading. SD card corrupted? No problem, download it again. It saves time, gas, potential disappointment if a store hasn't received or has sold out of their shipment. Saves waiting for a parcel in the mail that doesn't arrive when you want or are able to play. A SD card that lives inside the console provides the convenience of access to games wherever you take the console, without fiddling for cartridges. No need to worry about finding shelf space, or damage to the packaging. It's just flat-out convenient.

-Price-
Digital copies seem to be priced the same or slightly cheaper than their boxed counterparts at release -- but services such as Steam show us how deep digital discounting can go. PS+ gives a bucketload of current games for free with a $50 membership subscription. Services like the Virtual Console provide access to games that otherwise aren't purchasable in a store, or that wouldn't make sense to generate physical copies of. Ultimately, someone building a digital library of games can do it for far less than physical copies, provided digital copies exist.

-Selection-
There's only so much shelf space available in stores. There's no guarantee the game you're looking for will be available. (I've had this problem many times for current systems.)

...of course there are easy counters to each of those points...which don't matter, because someone who considers the above points "pros" isn't going to give a fart in high wind as long as they are satisfied in all three areas.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

I think its silly that it has to be one or the other.

Physical media that has a digital counterpart with the same purchase works pretty well.
ApolloBoy
128-bit

Post by ApolloBoy »

Pro digital? As opposed to amateur digital?
Own: 2600, 2DS, 2DS XL, 360 S, 5200, 7800, 800, 800XL, AES, Amiga 600, C64, C64C, CV, DC, Duo-R, GB, GBA, GBA SP, GBC, GBP, Genesis 2, GG, JP SMS, Lynx, Mark III, Mega CD II, MD, MSX2+, N64, NES, NES top loader, Nomad, PCE, PSX, PS2, RetroUSB AVS, SAT, SFC, SG-1000 II, SMS, SNES mini, Switch, TE, Twin Fami, VIC-20, Wii, XEGS
TheSegaSaturnGuy
64-bit

Post by TheSegaSaturnGuy »

Cronozilla wrote:I think its silly that it has to be one or the other.

Physical media that has a digital counterpart with the same purchase works pretty well.

+1
I am buying all Saturn games, PM me with your offerings and I will let you know if I need the game or not! (Everything must be CIB)

Currently trying to knock off all the sports games, would like to get them <$5 each! Of course if you would like to donate them I will gladly pay the shipping! :)
darsparx
Next-Gen

Post by darsparx »

Personally i'd rather have physical copies if I can get them...I know that's not always possible with indie games so those I will always buy digital. But honestly I'd rather have a physical so I can put it on a physical shelf and fill up my room...now excuse me while I try to cram more stuff on to this shelf...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?