Can we get some love for Breakers?

Brawlers and Beatemups
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Can we get some love for Breakers?

Post by ninjainspandex »

So ever since I got my Neo Geo cab Breakers Revenge has become one of my most played games. It's such a shame that this series has been forgotten and not many people have heard of it. Yes its a shameless Street Fighter 2 clone but damn does it do it well. I personally prefer it over Street Fighter 2, I feel that a 4 button setup suits it much better. It's fast its fluid the hit detection is great the supers are great, the whole thing seems very polished unlike alot of older Neo Geo brawlers it has aged very well. I wish they would bring it to XBLA or PSN, I guess Visco isn't around anymore so who knows who owns the rights to it anymore. Anyone else love some Breakers?

marurun

Re: Can we get some love for Breakers?

Post by marurun »

I never got to know this title. Are there any videos you think represent the game well for those of us unfamiliar with it?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

Yes, I think that the Breakers games are very solid. Definitely some of my favorite fighters outside of the normal SNK fare.

Don't forget Double Dragon & Rage of Dragons as well.
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

Breakers Revenge is one of my favorite 'non-mainstream' fighters to blow off steam with. It's typical chain combo game and feels very rewarding to play after minimal amounts of practice (forgiving inputs on specials and supers).
This along with another popular 'non-mainstream' fighter- Marital Masters (very similar style of game), suffer in the fact that while they are good games overall; they also are generic, bring nothing new (system-wise) to the table and lack depth or creative character design.

These games are also great for training players new to 2D fighters or chain combo games.

Mad respect to Breakers and Martial Masters, they will forever be great side tourney games and make for exciting random casual games to bust out in new groups of gamers.
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

cha cha wrote:These games are also great for training players new to 2D fighters or chain combo games.

In that case, I need to play some Breakers! :lol:
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

Exactly Breakers Revenge is one of those games that is easy to pick up and play, simple yet fun and satisfying. Problem with most fighters now days is they are so complicated with long combos, techs, cancels. Takes a lot of memorization to even start to enjoy those games.
keogamer

Post by keogamer »

Breaker revenge is really an underrated gems as it manage to do what most fighter in the past and today fail to accomplished. Making fighter that stands the test of time.

Breaker revenge may not be bring anything really new to the table but it does apply most well known FG mechanic right. Actually this is partially true as Breaker does have its own defining mechanics, but its so subtle that most people wont know of it till they study he game.

Not sure where people get this dial chain combo as that select feature for few character. other rely on set up and proper links to get their combos.

Gamplay is pace well and fluid for the most part.

Most mechanics is straight forward aside from the breaker and juggle system. The game surprising well balance well with few noticeable disparity between characters.