PS3 "Your system has become hot"

Need help with your PC or Modding Projects?
vlame
Next-Gen

PS3 "Your system has become hot"

Post by vlame »

PS3 hadn't been on all day. popped a movie in and it played for about 3 minutes then the pop up came on the upper right and said "Your system has become hot", it went beep beep beep then totally powered off. i re-plugged it in and a data progress bar came up and said checking then before i could finish it turned off again. The room was really cool before I turned on the system.

It is a super slim 500gb. :?
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
flojocabron
Next-Gen

Re: PS3 "Your system has become hot"

Post by flojocabron »

obligatory troll post! :twisted:

Image :P

I dont know the quality of superslims. But do they have fans? check and see that they're working I guess.

Are you still under warranty?

Dont know how sensitive they are but check to see that there's enough circulation of air all around the PS3.

good luck.
2600 and jr,5200,nes/top loader, master system, intellivision, TG-16, genesis 1,2,3, SNES, snesJR, CDX, 3DOfz10, gamegear, gameboy and pocket, GBC, sega saturn, PSOne w/screen, Virtual Boy, N64, NGPC, Gameboy Advance sp, Dreamcast, Black Dreamcast, oXBOX, Playstation 2, PStwo, Gamecube, gameboy player, DS lite,DSi XL, PSP1000/3000,Wii,PS3 120gb,3DSXL, xbox 360, PSvita, PS4
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Not at all familiar with the super slims, but... open it and clean the dust out? Check to see if any heatsink is not mounted correctly.
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

it should be under warranty. i just messaged the user i bought it from asking for proof of purchase as thats what the sony forums say i need to do a warranty. im not gonna open it yet tho. i thought the circulation was pretty good for it. i put a DS case under it to have some space between it and the wood shelf.
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

the bottom isn't generally the issue, the sides are. They say about 4 inches of clearance on the front, sides, and back is recommended.

As long as you don't have it sitting up against something blocking airflow (cabinet, dust, etc), there's probably an issue.
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

i think it have had it about that already. i just now put a thicker book under it. thanks for the tip tho.

any idea what the problem is?
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

vlame wrote:i think it have had it about that already. i just now put a thicker book under it. thanks for the tip tho.

any idea what the problem is?

What? Why?

Basically just give the console as much 'breathing room' as possible.
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

it was on top of a DS case before, it would slide around a lot. now this book is about 3/4 inch thick. and seats the whole bottom of the console perfectly, no sliding.
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

Is the console sitting upright or flat? There are numerous articles mentioning the vertical position tends to run hotter. A vertical console might tip over unless propped against something which in turn boxes in the hot air. Best to leave a console flat.

Though the PS3 console is designed to play movies, I avoid using any game console that way. Does a movie versus a game disc wear out a console laser any faster? I'm just thinking along the lines that the movie disc needs continuous access. Also an issue of rentals that are less then pristine condition. All discs inserted add to the total milage of your PS3, best to play a movie in a dedicated less pricey player.

As for getting hot in only 3 minutes, something else is definitely wrong. As already mentioned give the console a lot of breathing room and check the ventilation ports for dust.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

Laying down. I put my DVD player budget into this console...
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list