What console and game do you cherish the most, and why?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
SNKnicotine
128-bit

What console and game do you cherish the most, and why?

Post by SNKnicotine »

What is you most cherished console and videogame in your collection and why? It doesn't have to be a valuable game or console, Just a console and game that you remember fondly and every time you play it, it takes you back to that special place and time.

Console: Super Nintendo- I remember playing this console non-stop on a small 12'' Daewoo TV and making my parents watch me play Super Mario World and coming home and playing Mortal with my sisters and being spammed by them with raidens "superman move"

Game: Rule of Rose [PS2]-My fiancée and I went on a minication to Philadelphia, PA along our aimless travels we stopped at a Hole in the wall mall. After browsing for an hour or so, we stumbled upon a "mom and pops" videogame store, they had about a hundred games (in sleeves)[oxbox, GC, PS2] on clearance3 for $10 and one free game!, I picked my games (all 4) and continued to browse when i stumbled upon Rule of Rose and felt my knees getting weak, that same day we bought a PS2 went to the hotel and laughed and played the night through with a Philly cheese steak and pizza by our sides.
Klassic PlastiK @ youtube.com/KlassicplastiK
Currently playing:Super Smash bros.(4)(3DS/WiiU)
Currently reading: Batman: Death of a Family
AppleQueso wrote:You can't even pronounce "RPG" or "FPS" like you can "Shmup"
Arpuhguh? Fffpiss? Bah!
"Shmup" is far more elegant!
Luke
Next-Gen

Re: What console and game do you cherish the most, and why?

Post by Luke »

Atari 2600, Missile Command

It was the first time I saw a video game and it changed my life. My Father was playing it in an unlit living room at night, and after a half hour or so he let me take over. Still have the same Atari, still have the same Missile Command (cib).

Just how your sense of smell can take you somewhere in the past, so can a video game experience.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Console - NES
Game - Zelda 1

NES because it was the console that defined my childhood. Growing up in the 80s everyone I knew had one and the games were everywhere. My family would play the games as a team. I acutely remember watching my oldest cousin play Metroid and Zelda 1 while we were on vacation.

Zelda 1 was a birthday gift to me from my grandparents. It is the reason I fell in love with fantasy novels and gaming in general. That same birthday I received Metroid and fell in love with scifi because of that - sadly Metroid was too hard for me at the time so while I love the titles, not nearly as much as the Zeldas.
Retrodude
128-bit

Post by Retrodude »

Console-NES

Game-Little Nemo: The Dream Master

That was the first game I played that had an actual STORY as opposed to a simple "rescue the princess" excuse plot and the first time I beat it, I got a bit misty eyed 'cause it was such an amazing experience and I was sad to see it end. I was six at the time and this game blew my mind. Truly an unforgettable title. Funny thing, when the animated Little Nemo film came out in the US years later (it was an American co-production but it took awhile to actually get released here), I initially thought it was based on the game. I didn't know of the comic strip until much later.
I'm not a glitch, I just have pixlexia.

Raiiban wrote:That's a moral dilemma. Capitalism has no morals.
SpoonyBard
128-bit

Post by SpoonyBard »

I'd have to say the NES for a system. So many hours blown on that thing. I've kept the same unit around for about 15 years now, fixing it here and there. Kind of a pride thing (especially in my earlier years) to have picked it up at a rummage sale for $5 and get it working again.

For a game, it would have to be Metal Slug X on the MVS. The series has always been a favorite of mine, and it's just neat to be able to share it with others who never had a chance to play it on original hardware. Our local arcade never had X, but it did have 1 for a really long time. I was constantly broke as a kid because of this.

If I owned this, it would be both of those.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0067O594K

My friend Jon and I played this game to no end as kids. We'd empty the machine every night we went to the arcade. I have no idea why, neither of us really liked baseball cards. Seeing this thread instantly made me think of this game, i'll be on the hunt for it now.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

console - PlayStation 3
game - Resident Evil 6

If there's a more perfect or pure gaming experience that churns fond memories I don't know what it is.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

Console: SNES

Despite my fondest memories of the NES and the Genesis, despite the countless hours put into the N64 and Xbox, despite the massive libraries of the PS and PS2 and the phenomenal library of the Saturn, the SNES was there for me during two critical periods. It was there almost at the beginning (Genesis was played somewhat more, but not that much more), and it was there when I made the transition to RPGs (Genesis and N64 even were ignored). There's nothing quite like your first (♥ you, Genesis), the SNES was my real love.

Game: Final Fantasy IV

My first real turn-based RPG, and it blew my socks off. I mentioned it elsewhere, but this game forever changed my life. I'd probably be a jock (I played football until junior varsity, and ran track for a bit) if I had not delved so deep into this game.
SNKnicotine
128-bit

Post by SNKnicotine »

dsheinem wrote:console - PlayStation 3
game - Resident Evil 6

If there's a more perfect or pure gaming experience that churns fond memories I don't know what it is.

:lol:^^ :lol:
You should Try RE 5
Klassic PlastiK @ youtube.com/KlassicplastiK
Currently playing:Super Smash bros.(4)(3DS/WiiU)
Currently reading: Batman: Death of a Family
AppleQueso wrote:You can't even pronounce "RPG" or "FPS" like you can "Shmup"
Arpuhguh? Fffpiss? Bah!
"Shmup" is far more elegant!
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

You know, I don't actually think I have an answer for this. I would say Sega Genesis and Sonic 3, but I didn't even cherish that enough to keep me from letting it go. So I guess I don't really have a good answer. I like my desktop PC a lot and I can't see myself getting rid of that anytime soon. Yet, I probably sunk more time into Gran Turismo than any game series.

I still have a PlayStation 1 and the original Gran Turismo. So I guess that's my answer.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

Post by o.pwuaioc »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:You know, I don't actually think I have an answer for this. I would say Sega Genesis and Sonic 3, but I didn't even cherish that enough to keep me from letting it go. So I guess I don't really have a good answer. I like my desktop PC a lot and I can't see myself getting rid of that anytime soon. Yet, I probably sunk more time into Gran Turismo than any game series.

I still have a PlayStation 1 and the original Gran Turismo. So I guess that's my answer.

A PS1 isn't part of your "five"!