Next-Gen

Together RPG - Action RPG - Crystalis 11/11-1/11/14

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Crystalis it is!

Crystalis - 14
Popful Mail - 13
Ys 2 - 13

Nov 11 - Jan 11
Last edited by Jmustang1968 on Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Re: Together RPG - Action RPG - Vote Now!

Post by CFFJR »

Went with Shadowrun Genesis and Popful Mail.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I count about four action RPGs there. Maybe I shouldn't talk since I missed the nomination process, but--. I voted for Popful Mail and Valkyrie Profile. Should probably switch the latter to Crystalis, but I don't actually own it. There's also a PC Engine and SFC version of Popful Mail, by the way.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

pierrot wrote:There's also a PC Engine and SFC version of Popful Mail, by the way.

And PC 98!

That version has interesting cover art...
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

pierrot wrote:I count about four action RPGs there. Maybe I shouldn't talk since I missed the nomination process, but--. I voted for Popful Mail and Valkyrie Profile. Should probably switch the latter to Crystalis, but I don't actually own it. There's also a PC Engine and SFC version of Popful Mail, by the way.

Which games aren't action RPGs?
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Mario & Luigi, Tales of Phantasia and Valkyrie Profile are pretty typical JRPGs. Ys II is kind of on the line, I feel, but I get why it's there. Shadowrun(s) seem more like standard action games to me. I would've thought they'd at least be in the WRPG vote. I mean, I understand why these were deemed action RPGs, I just think the thought process was a little misguided.

If there were a dearth of quality Action RPGs out there, I could understand these nominees more, but I really enjoy this sub-genre; seems like a lot of missed opportunity in these nominees.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

pierrot wrote:Mario & Luigi, Tales of Phantasia and Valkyrie Profile are pretty typical JRPGs. Ys II is kind of on the line, I feel, but I get why it's there. Shadowrun(s) seem more like standard action games to me. I would've thought they'd at least be in the WRPG vote. I mean, I understand why these were deemed action RPGs, I just think the thought process was a little misguided.

If there were a dearth of quality Action RPGs out there, I could understand these nominees more, but I really enjoy this sub-genre; seems like a lot of missed opportunity in these nominees.

I think there is a lot of overlap with some of the genres. A game can be a JRPG and an action RPG, like Secret of Mana. Tales combat is not the turned based combat you see in FF or DQ, it is side scrolling action combat.

I think the Ys games are one of the best examples of action RPGs.

Shadowrun is a western RPG but it is also an action RPG. I've never played the SNES version, but the Genesis version is very action RPG with guns.

I am not sure what you are deeming Action RPGs to be, or where you draw the line, or even some examples of what you would've liked to see.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I can vouch for Crystalis, Ys II, and M&L: Superstar Saga. They are all great games.

Nonetheless, I voted for Shadowrun (GEN) and Brave Fencer Musashi because: (1) I own them; (2) I have read that they are both good (and in Shadowrun's case, very good); and (3) I have never played through either of them.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Voted Ys II and Crystalis.

If Ys II should win, those folks who have never played Ys I should do so first. It only takes about six hours and in the US it's always bundled with Ys II. In fact, if you're playing the Turbo version you must play I before II, it's one long game.

I have a feeling Ys II may be picked (since we seem to like TR retro sequels here :D ), if it happens I'll import a Japanese standalone version of the game. I want a port I've never played before.

And not to nitpick, but like pierrot I was surprised by the list here... I've always considered games with hybrid real-time/turn-based combat systems (like Tales of Phantasia, and Star Ocean for that matter) to be "JRPGs." Some of the other games are iffy too. I've always considered action RPGs to be games like Ys, Xak, Secret of Mana, Crystalis, Faxanadu, Crusader of Centy, Soul Blazer, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Legend of Xanadu, Dungeon Explorer, etc. (just to name a few).
Hatta
Next-Gen

Post by Hatta »

Diablo?
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!