Random Gaming Thoughts

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

Post by RCBH928 »

marurun wrote:The amiga took a while to ramp up… though it can display some pretty images, it takes some manipulation to get around the 8 sprite limit (total, not per-line), and many games lacked music in-game because 4 channels, even nice channels, ain’t a lot. The 1985 lineup of 11 games was also… lackluster.

36 years later the games still look pleasing and fun to play, only shows people in 1985(or so) must have had a blast with it at the time.

Limewater wrote:My post was a joke. The game I linked to is entitled "1985: The Day After."

https://www.mobygames.com/game/1985-the-day-after

sorry, totally missed it. I am not fun at parties I guess.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

When playing retro games from GOG, is it better to run on latest Windows with directX or older version of Windows without DirectX?
For Blood GOG has minimum of win7 64bit and recommend Win10 for 64 bit but I thought those older games would run better on a Windows version closer to their release? Or these have been updated to be played on more modern Windows?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Most of the stuff on GOG is Dosbox (including Blood), so there you just want the best PC you can get to run the emulation engine.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Sega and Microsoft has formed an alliance

https://gamerant.com/sega-microsoft-nex ... -alliance/
DaydreamStarbeam
8-bit

Post by DaydreamStarbeam »

PretentiousHipster wrote:Sega and Microsoft has formed an alliance

https://gamerant.com/sega-microsoft-nex ... -alliance/

Don't 90% (guessing, from the general behaviour and interest correlation between fanbases) of Sega fans exclusively support modern Nintendo systems though, the remaining 9.5% being on Sony's side of the coin? Can't see an alliance with M$ doing much for them, a Sega/Nintendo alliance would make far more sense going by game sales and brand loyalty in general.

Most XB loyalists are gonna go "haha autism/gay" and move on, PS ones would be split down the centre (particularly outside the areas of Europe the MD did well I'd imagine) and Nintendo fans will just shitpost on Discord, the top memes all being the usual furry/weeb pfps lol.

eg Puyo Tetris 2 barely hits 100 players online on XB1 but there's 22k+ on Switch and a mere 2k on PS4
I feel like I have to retreat when anyone potentially knows me and any of those unforgivable shenanigans I refuse to own up to (because others' accounts of them are far more trustworthy).
marurun

Post by marurun »

DaydreamStarbeam wrote:Most XB loyalists are gonna go "haha autism/gay" and move on, PS ones would be split down the centre (particularly outside the areas of Europe the MD did well I'd imagine) and Nintendo fans will just shitpost on Discord, the top memes all being the usual furry/weeb pfps lol.

So, since you’re new, and also as a reminder to everyone, let’s not use words like autism and gay in a derogatory way, or even to mock their use in a derogatory way. Thanks, folks!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

@MrPopo thanks I keep forgetting they run in a modern emulator, and keep thinking they have been updated to work on more modern windows version
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Thank god I didn't rebuy Blood One Unite Whole as the Fresh Supply version. I thought I am missing the plasma pack episodes but after a little research I found out the difference is in software used and has to do with copyrights but the game is more or less the same.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

marurun wrote:
DaydreamStarbeam wrote:Most XB loyalists are gonna go "haha autism/gay" and move on, PS ones would be split down the centre (particularly outside the areas of Europe the MD did well I'd imagine) and Nintendo fans will just shitpost on Discord, the top memes all being the usual furry/weeb pfps lol.

So, since you’re new, and also as a reminder to everyone, let’s not use words like autism and gay in a derogatory way, or even to mock their use in a derogatory way. Thanks, folks!

And I feel it's also worth adding in that furry hate is primarily used as an anti-queer dog whistle (and has been for a long time). It's also not something to be used in a derogatorily way, even jokingly. Thanks, y'all~
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Gucci
64-bit

Post by Gucci »

After getting the Switch Lite and flipping back and forth between it and the Vita, I’ve learned to appreciate the Vita so much more. The Switch Lite specifically feels like a spiritual successor to the Vita. Almost feels like what Sony would have put out if given a second crack at the portable market. Adding second set of shoulder buttons, clickable sticks, bigger screen.
I own too many hoodies jackets hoodies and DS games and I’m not ashamed!