Favorite Beat em Ups!

Brawlers and Beatemups
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Favorite Beat em Ups!

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

The first two Streets of Rage games are my favorites. Beautiful graphics, music, atmosphere. I never liked the third game though, the 6-button controls are awkward.

I'm also a big fan of those medieval Capcom games like Knights of the Round, The King of Dragons, and the two D&D games.
graffix_13
64-bit

Post by graffix_13 »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:The first two Streets of Rage games are my favorites. Beautiful graphics, music, atmosphere. I never liked the third game though, the 6-button controls are awkward.

I'm also a big fan of those medieval Capcom games like Knights of the Round, The King of Dragons, and the two D&D games.

Yeah I need to play Streets of Rage (1 and 2). I've heard nothing but good things about both games.

Hopefully the RetroN 5 won't be a complete mess and I'll get a chance to play it finally.
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

After playing the fan-made 'Streets of Rage Remake' (all 3 games combined with new alternate paths and all characters available to play in all 3 games), it's really hard to go back and enjoy the originals... I tried.

You can still play Remake on PC/console emulators though, I highly suggest it.
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I am a little sad that Beats of Rage development seems to have slowed. There are few mods coming out for the engine these days, and it doesn't get much attention on-line, meaning it's hard to really find out which mods are better and worth getting.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
General Chaos
128-bit

Post by General Chaos »

It's tough to rank my favorite beat em ups, so just in alphabetical order:

Die Hard Arcade & Dynamite Cop
Double Dragon
Dragon's Crown
Guardian Heroes
River City Ransom

Double Dragon seems rather basic compared to some more modern attempts at the genre, but it was my first beat em up, so it holds a special place in my heart.

Dragon's Crown is on the other end of the spectrum. Having just read through the thread dedicated to it here, I'm surprised so many people were disappointed with it. It scratches just about every beat em up itch I have (e.g., items, mounts, ridiculous numbers of on screen enemies, huge attack & spell animations, massive bosses).

Dynamite Cop is on the list just because the enemies are off the wall. Nothing beats brawling with a couple of pirate lobster-men.
Last edited by General Chaos on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

I haven't played very many beat-em-ups, but out of the handful I've played my favorites so far have been Streets of Rage 2 and Splatterhouse 3. I also have to include Golden Axe for the memories. Back when the PS1 and N64 were new an shiny, my brother, sister, and I collectively got ourselves a Genesis and it came with the 6-pak. We beat Golden Axe several times that year, and had so much fun stealing magic potions and meat from each other. I always rocked the dwarf and headbutted everything.
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

brunoafh wrote:Because the PS2 game is everything the DC game is and more (same devs). If you're a fan of Berserk too, you'll freaking love it. Builds on the actual story from the manga, way better controls, better visuals obviously, has character customization, bigger move-set, higher difficulty, it's just better than the DC game in every way. That's not to say it isn't without it's flaws though. If the DC game (which I am a big fan of myself) is one of your all-time favorites, you just gotta check out the PS2 game.

Check out the opening, Susumu Hirasawa music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdpqV7RPnTE

This game looks fantastic! Too bad I don't have a machine to play imports. :(
How could this game not get a US port?!?!
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry