Megaman X8

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Godot102
64-bit

Megaman X8

Post by Godot102 »

I recently played through X8 again and I have to say, this game is pretty awesome WAY better than X5-X7! The first time i played it, I did not like it too much but it really grew on me. It is now my fourth favorite X game!
X4>X2>X1>X8

It seems Reviewers tore this game apart for having frustrating level design but honestly, its not too bad. There are ways around some of the more frustrating parts of the game(prickle barrier, Axl turning into someone that can walk on spikes).

What do you guys think about X8?
Veno
128-bit

Re: Megaman X8

Post by Veno »

I honestly liked X8, and seem to be in the minority that do. I loved how you can interchange X's armor parts, and while they don't look that different, have completely different functions, making a custom set of armor that appeals to your playstyle. I also liked how Zero has a nice assortment of weapons this time around. Fans, Sigma Blade, a hammer, and even a glaive. While certainly not the best in the series, it certainly isn't the worst. That title belongs to X7.
PSN: Viewtiful_Ryan
Flake

Post by Flake »

I WANTED to like X8 but the physics were just too far off, especially for a character like X that depends on wall jumping. Also, grinding for metals sucks.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
brunoafh
Next-Gen

Post by brunoafh »

It's not the nightmare that X7 was, but I found it too hard to get into. It's playable but I think X5 and X6 are much funner. I agree that mainstream reviewers tore into it too hard, but it never really grew on me. Maybe I'll give it another go someday.

X4>X3>X2>X1>X5>X6>X8>>>>>>>X7

X1 and X2 are really close for me, but, despite my nostalgia for X1, I find X2 to be the better game.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I still think this board in general tears too much into X5-X6. They aren't -terrible-! :lol:

But yeah, X8... I dunno. I beat it, can't remember it at all though. I guess that kind of sums it up? I remember the last boss being a bitch because of pits.

Overall really forgettable to me, a lot like ZX.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

I love X5. I haven't gotten too much into the other X games though. I personally loved the time mechanic.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Godot102
64-bit

Post by Godot102 »

I like X8 because it has a whole bunch of unlockable content like the extra playable characters(you can actually play as Alia!) street fighter moves and mini games. I will admit grinding for metals is a pain in the ass, and the physics can be weird at first since the characters are much bigger than what you are probably used to(kinda like how MM7 and MM8 may initially feel a little off if your coming from the 8-bit games), but its something you can get used to fairly quickly. It is an acquired taste as I didn't actually start liking the game until my second and third playthroughs.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Flake wrote:I WANTED to like X8 but the physics were just too far off, especially for a character like X that depends on wall jumping. Also, grinding for metals sucks.

Yeah, that was my experience too. I didn't think it was a bad game I just didn't find myself enjoying it as much as most of the others. It felt off like you said. It doesn't have that solid feel I expect when playing a Mega Man platformer.

Xeogred wrote:I still think this board in general tears too much into X5-X6. They aren't -terrible-! :lol:

But yeah, X8... I dunno. I beat it, can't remember it at all though. I guess that kind of sums it up? I remember the last boss being a bitch because of pits.

Overall really forgettable to me, a lot like ZX.

I think X5 is fine though it's when the level design started to go down hill (Duff McWhalen's stage for instance, despite having the best Maverick name perhaps ever, is a boring chore). A lot of people were also rubbed the wrong way by the marked step down in production values. I still had fun with it though it's not one of my favorites and it would have been a good place to end the series especially since it was supposed to be.

I don't have a problem with the countdown thing because it doesn't have a huge bearing on the gameplay. I do think it's utterly ridiculous for you to get the best ending at mercy of the game's own random decision. Sure you can fix this simply by resetting the game until you get the outcome you want but it's still a silly, pointless mechanic.

X6 though. Ugh... the armors were kind of cool? That's the only redeemable value of that game. Every thing else is thoughtless, lousy game design shamelessly pieced together using the Mega Man X formula as its skeleton. Everything about it feels cheap and rushed and unfinished.
WallCrusher
32-bit

Post by WallCrusher »

I really liked X8. The fact that it has a New Game + to let you run back through it with all of your upgrades and stuff really makes it fun to replay.

Never played X7 but... X6 was pretty bad. It's a shame, because it has some legitimately good ideas and all, and I absolutely love X6's soundtrack. The level design, though... urrgh.
WANNA GET YOUR WALLS CRUSHED?
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

WallCrusher wrote: It's a shame, because it has some legitimately good ideas and all,

You could probably some up every MM X game after MM X 4 that way. They each experimented with new ideas and stumbled a bit in the execution. MM X 4 was the last MM X game to feel truly focused
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.