Platformer Hidden Gems

Like running and jumping? Discuss it here!
Auron_Amarth
16-bit

Re: Platformer Hidden Gems

Post by Auron_Amarth »

I know most people who have played it won't agree, but I liked Jersey Devil for the PlayStation, which was published by Sony. The controls sucked though, but it had great music and was pretty challenging later on.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I was gonna mention "Heart of Darkness" but couldn't remember it's name so I tracked down the post that mentioned it instead. There's a bunch of great ones listed here:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=22920

Gotta add a +2 for Captain Claw - it was so far ahead of it's time it's a shame almost nobody really knew it existed. It was the first multiplayer online platformer castleroid by years. Had it been promoted better (or at all) it likely could've been developed to be as big as Maple Story is and/or swing the mmorpg thing that happened to include a bunch of 2D games alongside the 3D incarnations they took. This makes me want to play an online match of it now.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

Anapan wrote:I was gonna mention "Heart of Darkness" but couldn't remember it's name so I tracked down the post that mentioned it instead. There's a bunch of great ones listed here:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=22920

Gotta add a +2 for Captain Claw - it was so far ahead of it's time it's a shame almost nobody really knew it existed. It was the first multiplayer online platformer castleroid by years. Had it been promoted better (or at all) it likely could've been developed to be as big as Maple Story is and/or swing the mmorpg thing that happened to include a bunch of 2D games alongside the 3D incarnations they took. This makes me want to play an online match of it now.

Heart of Darkness is a beautiful game and definitely swept under the rug by a lot of people.
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
NintendoLegend
32-bit

Post by NintendoLegend »

Little Samson on NES. A shame it did not catch on.
SkirmishFrogs.com -- A lighthearted retro gaming community.

NintendoLegend.com -- One retro gamer's quest to play and review every American-released NES game.
Lodestar
128-bit

Post by Lodestar »

Thanks to this thread I played and finished Quackshot and Panic Restaurant. Both are great platformers and belong in this thread.
If you like retro games, come hang out on my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/lodey
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Renulph
MattJay
24-bit

Post by MattJay »

Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Low G Man on the NES is an often overlooked, pretty fun game. It's a little more on the action side I guess.
SirPsycho
24-bit

Post by SirPsycho »

Chakan on Genesis?

You played as the guy who defeated Death in one on one combat. Level design is based on the four alchemical elements and for the most part is really solid. I can only think of one instance of a leap of faith. But it is HARD.
GameMasterGuy
Next-Gen

Post by GameMasterGuy »

Megaman Network Transmission for the GC. What do you get when you make an extremely successful platformer series, make a completely irrelevant spin-off series that's so removed from any genre it can best be explained as "grid-based combat", then make a spin-off of *that* that's back to being a platformer, albeit one with a bizarre weapon system taken from said grid-based combat system? This.
Is that a 3DS XL in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me? ~ZeroAX