Can my computer run game X?

Windows, Mac, DOS, and all those-other personal computing platforms
jfrost
Next-Gen

Re: Can my computer run game X?

Post by jfrost »

D.D.D. wrote:
J T wrote:I'm running a 16 core with a 10 meg pipe...

:shock: What CPU has 16 cores????

The CPU whose owner needs faster response times for the new online games. There's a lot of people after his high scores.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

jfrost wrote:
D.D.D. wrote:
J T wrote:I'm running a 16 core with a 10 meg pipe...

:shock: What CPU has 16 cores????

The CPU whose owner needs faster response times for the new online games. There's a lot of people after his high scores.

Especially the MMO high scores.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ATARI800XLfan
128-bit

Post by ATARI800XLfan »

How accurate is the program? I ask because I noticed that it says my video card can not run Guild wars 2. But at the same time it said the same about Star Trek Online and yet I can run it on low settings(lighting high) and 2X anti-aliasing. For Guild wars 2 it says it needs Pixel Shader version 3.0 yet it says mine has 4.0, Vertex Shader version 3.0 again mine has 4.0, and for memory it needs 256MB and mine has 256MB and yet it says my video is the part that does not meet requirements. Is there something I am missing?
KDub
Next-Gen

Post by KDub »

It is better to read the description it gives than to read if you fail or pass. The site goes off specific settings that are "required" (or at least tested on/promised to run) to run as given by...who ever makes out those system requirements.

Most of the time if you think your system will run it and it says you fail, I find that what I have is just a brand not supported/tested or something better than the required settings never knew about it at that time.
ATARI800XLfan
128-bit

Post by ATARI800XLfan »

Recently played the last Guild wars 2 beta weekend and all I can say is my god. It played on medium to low settings(shadows and 1280X1024 resolution) on my little 380 dollar computer and I absolutely loved the game. It looked so stunning and it is still using Direct X 9, not optimized. Built in graphics on mine.
It truly does push the MMORPG genre forward. The pve and pvp was awesome. The world vs world worked perfectly and the single player was as diverse storyline wise as modern RPG's. Plus from asking WOW players for example the map is almost double the size of what WOW is now.
I got my first character, a Charr as far as I could for the beta story by the second day and was still under level 20, four missions I think. Which was based off of my legion, fathers story, and skill(charm, dignity or ferocity)class, plus others. Then played a different one with different charr legion and father,class and sure enough those aspects were completely different. None of the missions were the same. The combat was fluid and fast paced.
I was lucky if I got 4 hours of sleep a day. Not because I know the beta was only going to last so long or because I am a die hard fan but because I was generally having so much fun I did not want to get off of the game.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

You don't actually need a great video card to play Skyrim:
http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17137//?
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Lone Wanderer
32-bit

Post by Lone Wanderer »

I think it overestimates a bit. My computer "should" be able to run Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl at full settings, but I can only do medium. I "should" be able to run Fallout 3 at medium, but I can only run it at low (and it still lags sometimes). In it's defense, the program says my graphics card is the bottleneck.
Black DSi, Pink GBC, Softmodded Wii, Softmodded Fat Ps2, Black Gamecube, Xbox, Dreamcast, Ps1 Slim, Atomic Purple GBC, Onyx GBA SP, Gears of War 3 Edition Xbox 360 Slim, PSP 3000, NES.
Luke wrote:Masturbation is a fool proof way of getting rid of ghosts. Seriously, not even ghosts want to see that. I suggest saying out loud, "Hey ghost, who's creeped out now? You scared?" in the process.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

A lot of games on GOG reqiure 1.8GHZ , but I just want to make sure are process powers go like this:

1.8ghz < 1.8ghz Core duo <1.8 ghz core2duo

or am I missing something?

Also which is better 1.8ghz i7 or 2.4 ghz i5 ? I know higher GHZ are better but I also believe i7 is faster than i5
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I haven't been keeping up with computer tech, but, the clock speed (measured in Ghz these days) use to be the most important thing. Right up until the end of the Pentium 4, it was all about clock speed. You wanted the fasted clock speed, period. But these days, clock speed doesn't play as important of a roll and for a couple of reasons.

The biggest reason is how many cores the CPU has. If given the choice between a 3.2Ghz Pentium 4 and a 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo, I'd go with the Core 2 Duo hands down. The difference is even greater with the i7 because it has FOUR cores (or even SIX now I think), among other things.

The other things that come into play are things like cache size and hyper threading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_cache

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading

After reading what CPU cache does, you'll realize why the more the better. The i5's are the mid range CPU, compared to the i7's. IIRC, they have less cache. As for hyper threading, the i5 doesn't have hyper threading while the i7 does.

Another reason why clock speed doesn't matter so much is overclocking. Back in the P4 days, there wasn't a lot of overclocking options. These days, basically any motherboard has OC options, and the i7 CPUs can overclock a LOT. I don't recall specs, but I do recall reading large increases when the i7s first came out. Something like going from 2.6 (stock) to 3.2Ghz on air.

Also, I don't believe there is a 1.8Ghz i7. When the i7's first came out, the slowest clock speed was 2.66Ghz. IIRC, there isn't even an i7 on the market now with a clock speed below 3Ghz. But long story short, if I had to choose between the i5 and i7, I'd go with the i7.
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

thanks for the reply,,,
Your input was very helpful

I am not too clear about the i3, i5, and i7 even though I do understand the higher the number the better but it was a weird case of what if i5 had higher clock speed over the i7 .