Guidelines for being a successful trader

Post Your Goods (and possibly trade wishlists) here
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Guidelines for being a successful trader

Post by dsheinem »

AppleQueso wrote:Perhaps sticking something about For Offers turning away potential buyers as a tip for newbie sellers in the OP of this thread is a nice idea?

They are listed in the main rules thread under "GUIDELINES (good etiquette and general suggestions - no penalty for violation)":

2. Stating these things up front will generally increase the likelihood of a sale and general buyer/seller/trader satisfaction: prices, pictures, description, condition, shipping location and charges, tracking services offered, and accepted payment methods.

This thread is an addendum of sorts to that list.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

dsheinem wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:Perhaps sticking something about For Offers turning away potential buyers as a tip for newbie sellers in the OP of this thread is a nice idea?

They are listed in the main rules thread under "GUIDELINES (good etiquette and general suggestions - no penalty for violation)":

2. Stating these things up front will generally increase the likelihood of a sale and general buyer/seller/trader satisfaction: prices, pictures, description, condition, shipping location and charges, tracking services offered, and accepted payment methods.

This thread is an addendum of sorts to that list.

Well I'm blind, apparently.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

dunpeal2064 wrote:
dsheinem wrote: forced to have "FO" in the already sparse real estate of a thread title, etc.

I don't see the issue with asking people to put, in the thread title, what is happening in their thread. The real estate of a thread title is plenty large enough for two letters to be added to whatever it is you are selling. In most cases, it wouldn't even be added, it would just replace "FS" or "Have"

No one is just writing "NES/SMS/N64/PS/Saturn" and not specifying what they are doing with it.

Well, again, we have threads right now titled "When the girls become a mystery, & yr barely passing History," '☆☆ SNES, Dreamcast, PS1/2, Game Boy, Light Guns, Misc", "Valkyrie-Favor finally updates...To my side! Battle awaits!" etc. If we want to impose a "FO" rule we'd need to, in fairness, impose rules about all thread titles reflecting the content therein.

I am not in favor of this.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

While I do enjoy those thread titles, I think a thread title reflecting what is in a thread is... well, what a thread title is for. I know I have seen thread titles changed, or asked to be changed, because they did not correctly reflect the content within (although I can't think of a specific instance)

Granted, I don't want to lose the light-heartedness that this forum has kept going better than others, so forcing it seems to go against the flow of this forum.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

I'm taking that as a free bump. Go find out what the mystery is about!!

I think we all agree, FO will attract less buyers.

I don't see nearly as much of an issue with FT, so long as you have an actual want list. Values and such can be worked out in PM, but with FT and a want list, there is enough there to actually start a conversation.

With FO on relatively common items, it basically says, if you can hit this price in my head, it's yours. Umm, ok, well then, just list the price in your head.

Everyone has a price they're willing to sell an item for in their head - if they didn't, they wouldn't make it available. So just state that price, if it's high, it's high, at least we have a starting point to negotiate down, as needed.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Granted, I don't want to lose the light-heartedness that this forum has kept going better than others, so forcing it seems to go against the flow of this forum.

Which is why "listing prices" is mentioned early on in the guidelines in the "OFFICIAL RULES" thread, and the first "additional" guide linked there (from CAG) mentions (at the start) useful abbreviations for thread titles.

I think the info is there and the suggestion is made, I just get uneasy at the idea of strict enforcement since (as was mentioned) this doesn't seem to be a serious problem here.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Well, when you're right, you're right. It was just an idea, but I hadn't thought about how it would affect people who like to have a little fun with their thread title.

When it comes down to it, its really not all that much trouble to just click on the thread and see whats up, and ignore it if its not to taste.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

dunpeal2064 wrote:Well, when you're right, you're right. It was just an idea, but I hadn't thought about how it would affect people who like to have a little fun with their thread title.

When it comes down to it, its really not all that much trouble to just click on the thread and see whats up, and ignore it if its not to taste.

That said, I am now eagerly awaiting thread titles riffing on this like "FO SHIZZLE, I got Games!" or "FO SALE or FO OFFER: Games" etc. :lol:
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I think I finally have a reason to get my BST thread up and running again :lol:
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

*snip*

Fine, fuck that then. :evil: