Rank the first 10 Final Fantasy games

Level up here
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Re: Rank the first 10 Final Fantasy games

Post by Czernobog »

EvilRyu2099 wrote:
I can't really disagree with your list.. I'd put IX slightly higher and the main reason I rank VII first is because of nostalgia more than anything... But I can recognize that VI is probably a more polished game...

I actually had a really hard time putting VI above VII because of nostalgia. It was the first FF I played, but after thinking about it for a while I really do consider VI a better game. That being said, I can't blame anyone for putting VII as number one, especially since I seriously considered it.
Lord Huggington
8-bit

Post by Lord Huggington »

1. VI
2. IX
3. IV
4. V
5. I (This slot is largely driven by rosy childhood memories :p )
6. VII
7. VIII
8. III
9. II

I'm taking a move from the International Chopin Piano Competition's playbook here, and choosing not to award any game 10th slot, largely since my opinion of FFX is so low I refuse to even acknowledge its existence in most cases.
swiftzx
Next-Gen

Post by swiftzx »

The only Final Fantasy games I play are the tactics series...
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Czernobog wrote:I just hope I can skip the cut scenes and avoid listening to Tidus and Yuna laugh. :|

As a warming, you can't skip the cutscenes in X, which is one of its most egregious offences. The battle with Seymore on Mt. Gagazat with it's damn undead gimmick that made it hard as balls sucked so much, because every time I lost I had to sit through his damn speech again.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
darthmunky
Next-Gen

Post by darthmunky »

1 - VI
2 - IV
3 - V
4 - I
5 - III
6 - II
7 - VII
8 - IX
9 - VIII
10 - X
- Check out my Trade List
- Check out my Want List
- My GameTZ feedback
- My eBay feedback
brainofjtd
24-bit

Post by brainofjtd »

Sure, why not.

1. VI
2. IV
3. IX
4. VII
5. X
6. V
7. III
8. I
9. VIII
10. II

I didn't look at anyone else's list and I went with gut instinct. My list looks like everyone else's doesn't it? :/
"The sad thing is they'd probably throw someone like Zorro in Arkham." - Thomas Wayne
Croooow!
128-bit

Post by Croooow! »

Only including the games I've played but expanding the criteria a little:

1) VI - I fired up the game last night just to watch the opening credits and its still amazing after seeing them a dozen times.
2) XII - I've yet to find something with this game I don't like outside of Vaan. The battle system, story, other cast members, graphics, and setting are all incredible.
3) VII - Obviously incredible but has definitely aged worse than VI.
4) Tactics Advance - Story sucks but the gameplay and graphics are wonderful.
5) I - Just started on GBA, having lots of fun.
6) IV - Sorry but I didn't fall in love with this one like so many other seem to have.
7) X - In the end great gameplay saves this from being a disaster.
8 ) VIII - I didn't find the Junction System to be too bad but one time my brother was watching play and asked, "How can your school fly but can't go in deep water or over mountains?" I just replied with, "Because that's the rules."
9) IX - This game isn't bad, just mediocre. I know Square was going back to their roots with this game but I found a certain charm lacking. I found the characters to be tolerable at best and certainly not memorable, the gameplay mechanics to be uninspired, the graphics very nice but the setting forgettable, the story downright boring (I really don't care about ramblings about memories), and in the end beating the game was an honest relief.
"There are two ways to get enough. One way is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less." G.K. Chesterton

saturnfan
128-bit

Post by saturnfan »

I actually own several FF games:

VII - ps1
IV - snes & ps1
V - ps1
I - nes
III - ds
X - ps2

But, I have only really played I and X for any significant amount of time. The other titles I purchased recently and are on my to play list.
soul_hacker
64-bit

Post by soul_hacker »

I'm going to be an asshole and use numbers

ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

I too am going to number from the entire series

1) FF VI. Really there is no competition. This is the last FF game Square made that wasn't style over substance, but at the same time its style is so good. The story is the only FF story which I have played and haven't found glaring plotholes, the characters are ALL lovable, the villain is the only truly badass FF villain there ever was (I'm sorry Sephiroth fans, but the only reason Sephiroth seemed menacing was that we were told he was. On the other hand no one wants to even look Kefka in the eye, cause he might get mad and kill your entire family, chop them to pieces and then eat them while he makes you watch). And do I have to say anything about the music? This game's soundtrack is Nobuo's magnum opus.

2)FF VIII. Ok this is mostly nostalgia. The game is full of plotholes (which could be half covered if Square just accepted the fan theory of Ultimecia being Rinoa), the junction system rocked, but the drawing spells system sucked (even though I found a solution for this, by having something keep the button pressed down, with the memory cursor setting on, and I went to eat something while my characters drew spells). But at the same time I'm a sucker for love stories (even though this is a teen boy fantasy, of this really unlikable shut in being liked by everyone around him, and the cutest girl falling madly in love with him), and half of the cast was really likable (Zell, Rinoa, Quistis) which is more than I can say for the cast of most other Final Fantasy games). Plus I really liked the world being influenced by real world settings (Balamb being Mediterranean, Dollet Central/Eastern European, Galbadia Western European, Esthar basically being a more futuristic Japan). And the action sequences were breathtaking. I still love the garden battle sequence.

3)FF IX. Lovable characters give this game such a high spot on my list. Poor Vivi :(

4)FF XIII. Yes I loved this game. The setting was nice, the art design is spectacular, the battle system is very fun and very strategic (well once you get past the first 15 hours) and I actually didn't mind that the game took so long to open up. It gave me new stuff to do gameplay wise, instead of using the same attacks and strategies for the entire game. Half of the cast was unbearable (Snow, Vanille and Hope PLEASE DIE), with Vanille's voice actress having a problem deciding if she's Australian, British or American (good thing she didn't add a Scottish accent to the mix). On the other hand FF13 had perhaps the best written character of ANY FF game, Shaaz. And Lightning and Fang were cool

5) FF XII. I haven't beaten this game yet, but I loved the story, I loved the setting, I loved the cast minus those fucking kids, and I liked the battle system. Also there's this guy

Girls want to fuck him, and guys want to be him :lol: . It had been years since the last time I liked an FF character this much (played this game in 2008 for the first time)

FF games which left me indifferent :

FF7 (really don't understand the hype for this game. I understand it was most people's first FF game, so it makes sense they have a soft spot in their hearts for the game, but to say this is better than FF6 is blasphemy)

FF4 (played it half way, it was ok)

FF games I played and HATED

FFX. HORRIBLE VOICE ACTING, very VERY VERY VERY unlikable characters, boring as hell story, great battle system and leveling system (the only thing I liked) and no world map (which I always loved in previous FF games, and I couldn't wait to see what the world map on a PS2 game would be like, only to be greatly disappointed).

After the shock of FFX I got used to the fact that FF game won't ever have a world map again (in the classic sense), so that's why I didn't mind it as much on FF12's corridor world map, and FF13's plains of boredom.

I haven't played 1 2 3 and 5

BTW MrPopo new sig :lol: :lol: :lol:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.