Luke
Next-Gen

Re: Your top 5 favorite fighting games?

Post by Luke »

cha cha wrote:
Luke wrote:1. Street Fighter II snes
2. Soul Calibur Dreamcast
3. Tekken Tag Tournament

Everything else pales in comparison for me.

You liked vanilla SF2 over Championship Edition, Turbo and SSF2? Interesting!

@ SC1 for DC- thumbs up soldier! What character(s) do you fancy?

To put this in perspective, I played Street Fighter II as soon as it came out...and not in arcade, rather in a Kroger Grocery Store. My friends and I would flock to that Kroger, which was open 24 hours, weekly to play that cab. When the snes game dropped, we went nuts.

Had to beat the game on level 7 without losing a battle. Had to beat any and everyone who claimed to be good at the game. My friends from middle school and I still have fierce SFII matches when they visit. We enjoy the slower pace, which gives us extra time to talk smack and plan strategies.

I'm Mr.Random on Soul Calibur. If I had to pick favorite, it would likely be Siegfried or Cervantes. Graduating twice from ECU, a purple and gold pirate is a character that can't be turned down.
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

Ack wrote:
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-g4TqMFemY

:mrgreen:
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I agree with this. I have all three versions of the game, and I very much preferred the GC controller for SCII. Switching to a PS2 controller for SCIII was quite a shock for me actually.

In retrospect, I think the GC controller works well for: (1) first-party GC games; and (2) SCII. I dislike it for almost every other type of game, and I will happily concede that it is awful for 2D fighters.

I couldn't have put it better myself.

dunpeal2064 wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote: Switching to a PS2 controller for SCIII was quite a shock for me actually...

Did you suffer from...... Dual Shock?

Good one.

cha cha wrote:@ SC never changes: Aside from console guest characters. Well, I mean, they change a LOT from character move lists, engine mechanics, gameplay additions and frame data... But in terms of the surface-level "core" gameplay, sure, on the surface they remain faithful to previous versions and emphasize familiarity and ease of picking up and playing. Aside from SCV, the changes have never been so drastic that people are put off by them.
But man, they change a lot on the competitive side of the game.

I think a "core" strategy of horizontal and vertical attacks often beats the fancier move sets in SoulCalibur. If your opponent attacks head on, use a vertical attack. If your opponent is dodging, use a horizontal attack. If your opponent does manage to knock you down (which he shouldn't get the chance to), roll before you get back up. I have had much success utilizing this "keep it simple" strategy. Focus on what works reliably in a competition. Save the fancy stuff for showing off in front of your friends. At least, that's the way I see it. You might have a different take on Soul Calibur competitions.

cha cha wrote:@ PS2 controller being bad for fighters: I think you will find yourself in minority on that opinion sir. I would say... There is a reason they still make PS2 converters for next gen systems and also a reason why they never bothered to make GC converters for other systems...

Yes, that reason is arcade sticks. Lots of good arcade sticks (commercial or custom-built) use the Playstation controller ports. I prefer a good arcade stick over a PS (or any other) controller on any day that ends with the letter "y".
cha cha wrote:However, we can both easily agree on loving SC2. Man it was a great game! :mrgreen:
True that. I smile every time I think of Soul Calibur II.
Ack

Post by Ack »

cha cha wrote:
Ack wrote:
Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: The Fighting Edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-g4TqMFemY

:mrgreen:

FOR EVERYONE WHO SAID I CAN'T BEAT IVAN OOZE...

I HAVE!

The AI anyway. He's an insanely nasty boss character but isn't playable without a cheat code. That said, I now redub "SNK Boss Syndrome" as "Ivan Ooze Syndrome."
cha cha
128-bit

Post by cha cha »

Samson:

@ Competitive theory on SC- Heh, whatever works for you and the circles you play in is cool by me. There is a little more to the game that use Verticals here and Horizontals there etc. But as long as you have fun playing through the way you understand the game, who is anyone to tell you otherwise.
I do have many different concepts on competitive SC and strategies for me, change from iteration to iteration of it. But I am not here to argue fighting game theory, just having a bit of fun joshing you on SC talk (it's so rare that SC talk happens nowadays!)

@ Sticks being the reason for PS2 converters- yes, this is very much a reason. But out of all FGs being played through the years in large-scale tournaments, Tekken and SC players especially (aka Namcoheads) have widely been know to gravitate to the PS2 pad for it's ease of diagonal inputs and quick double-tapping of motions. There are many tournament players to this day still using PS2/PS3 pads for Tekken and SC specifically.

@ characters- So aside from Link, edit: *WHO'd ya play?

#soulcaliburhijacksthisthreadftw!
Last edited by cha cha on Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twitch ► | youtube ► | srk ► | sell/trade ► | gameroom ►
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Player of Fighting Games: T7: Eddy, Kazumi, Jack, Zafina » SC6: 2B, Xianghua, Tira, Mina, Maxi » SF5: R. Mika, Rose » GG: May, Faust, Baiken » KoF: Athena/Yuri/Leona » SS: Mina Majikina

Racketboy Online FG Matchfiner Thread! Come out and play.
Ack

Post by Ack »

cha cha wrote:But out of all FGs being played through the years in large-scale tournaments, Tekken and SC players especially (aka Namcoheads) have widely been know to gravitate to the PS2 pad for it's ease of diagonal inputs and quick double-tapping of motions. There are many tournament players to this day still using PS2/PS3 pads for Tekken and SC specifically.

I also find the PS2/PS3 controller superior to things like the 360 controller for playing Virtua Fighter. The large number of easily reachable(and uniform) buttons which can be mapped to a variety of combinations for VF helps quite a bit when a stick is unavailable, and I find the shoulder buttons much more comfortable than the triggers and bumpers of a 360 pad. And I find it easier to quick-tap motions on the dpad for certain moves, some of which I've just never been able to pull off on a 360 pad. The <- -> motion is something I've never been able to pull off on a 360's dpad.

Is it perfect? No. But I'm used to it and I like it.

As for SC talk, when I played, I used Mitsurugi as my main, followed by Xinhua. I didn't play in tournaments, but I did manage to hold my own against tournament players that I was friends with.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Ack wrote: The <- -> motion is something I've never been able to pull off on a 360's dpad.

It's awful for any quick movement like that. I bought a Mad Catz SFIV pad after trying and failing to do Bison and Balrog Ultra combos. Ugh. Makes some of the throws in VF5 unusable as well.

Anyway, here is my not very interesting list. These are the games I've played the most, not necessarily the ones I am any good at or are technically the best. Nae order.

Vampire Savior
Tekken 2
Soul Calibur 2 (Xbox)
Guilty Gear X2 #Reload (Also Xbox)
Virtua Fighter 5
ExedExes
Next-Gen

Post by ExedExes »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:In retrospect, I think the GC controller works well for: (1) first-party GC games; and (2) SCII & (3) FPS

Having real comfortable trigger buttons helps, and the 2 sticks are perfectly spaced.

Carry on with the fighting games!
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Edge
8-bit

Post by Edge »

1 - Tekken 5
2 - Garou - Mark of the Wolves
3 - King of Fighters' 98
4 - Super Street Fighter IV AE
5 - Soul Calibur

At the moment, I'd prolly go with these games. Pretty hard to decide though.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I probably replied to this back in the day. Not sure how my answers would compare. I don't know which games are my current favorite, because I've played few fighters in recent years due to lack of local friends to play them against. For this reason, I'm going back into my memory to think of which ones I played the most and enjoyed playing the most.

In no particular order:

Samurai Shodown (Neo Geo MVS)
Soul Calibur (the first, on DC))
Dead or Alive 2 (DC)
Virtua Fighter 2 (Sat)
KOF 98 (DC)

Very close contenders:

Vampire Savior (Sat)
Xmen vs SF (Sat)
Street Fighter II Turbo/HF (SNES)
Street Fighter II' (PCE)
Art of Fighting (PCE)
Fatal Fury Special (PCE)
SF Alpha/Zero (Sat/Arc)
KOF 94 (MVS)
Fighters Megamix (Sat)
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.