What RPGs have the most unique Battle Systems?

Level up here
gennss
128-bit

Re:

Post by gennss »

Gamerforlife wrote:I actually enjoyed Legend of Dragoon. I thought the combat system was fun because you really had to work for your characters to get off any damage at all and it was satisfying to pull of perfect combos. I liked the Dragoon transformations too, very cool game and the story wasn't too bad at all.

Grandia's combat system was defnitely superior to Grandia 2. I seem to recall them dumbing down the magic system in Grandia II. Grandia II, while a great game, was subpar to the original in every way in my opinion.

Vagrant Story's combat system was awesome, but god was that game complicated. Having a good faq helped me a lot. What a kickass intro that game had.

I've only played the first episode of Xenosaga, but I found its combat system to be rather dumbed down compared to the one in Xenogears, which I enjoyed a lot. I actually really dug Xenosaga ep 1's story though, but I never continued with the series after the horror stories about the second episode's combat system. Since I already didn't think much of ep 1's combat system, I just avoided the second one entirely. Shame too, ep 1 had some kickass characters and an awesome story, though the game was definitely weighted too much towards cutscenes than gameplay(hence the mediocre combat system)

Paper Mario had a cool combat system and I liked Legend of Mana's simple system. Honestly, I loved everything about that game

Major disagreements here. Legend of dragoon combat system was obnoxiously difficult. made me yearn for the days of standard atb system.

Grand1 doesn't hae a combat system, it ended whne i tried to hang myself with the controller from boredome after the first 2 hours (ok i had to be dramatic) therefore grandia2 wins by default.

Never played this one so you must be wrong (im kidding im kidding)

I found the xenosaga system effective in maintaining the game immersion but other than that entirely unremarkable. So i can see why you found it kind of boring.
--
Gennss
--
MrPopo

Re: What RPGs have the most unique Battle Systems?

Post by MrPopo »

The main problem with Xenosaga 2's combat system is that it was horrendously documented. I eventually broke down and looked at an FAQ that described how to maximize your character's actions in combat, and it suddenly all made sense. From that point on, the combat was enjoyable, although I still preferred Xenosaga 1's combat.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

Re: Re:

Post by marurun »

gennss wrote:Grand1 doesn't hae a combat system ... therefore grandia2 wins by default

WTF does that mean? Are you out of your gourd? Of course it had a combat system. Where do you think Grandia 2's combat system came from?

Grandia 2's combat system was a little watered down from Grandia 1, but the biggest complaint about combat in the Grandia games is that it was too easy. The Grandia combat system, particularly in Grandia 1, gave you LOTS of opportunities for strategic play, but you rarely had to actually play strategically to survive. They made it easy enough you could just button push without thinking and still get through. This was a mistake. There's no point in giving a game depth if that depth is never needed for success.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
gennss
128-bit

Re: Re:

Post by gennss »

marurun wrote:
gennss wrote:Grand1 doesn't hae a combat system ... therefore grandia2 wins by default

WTF does that mean? Are you out of your gourd? Of course it had a combat system. Where do you think Grandia 2's combat system came from?

Grandia 2's combat system was a little watered down from Grandia 1, but the biggest complaint about combat in the Grandia games is that it was too easy. The Grandia combat system, particularly in Grandia 1, gave you LOTS of opportunities for strategic play, but you rarely had to actually play strategically to survive. They made it easy enough you could just button push without thinking and still get through. This was a mistake. There's no point in giving a game depth if that depth is never needed for success.

... you missed the joke.

I meant the beginning of the story was hard to get into so i never saw the combat system. Instead of taking responsibility for not playing the game (whcih i will eventually) i took another jab at him in a joking manner.
<3

I'm well aware that grandia has a better combat system from what i've read in rpg communities. But I just wanted to be a pain the a$$ ^.^ while writing my own feeling on combat systems i liked.

After moving all the playful bs out of my message it says generally i liked legend of dragoon, grandia 2, xenosaga1.
--
Gennss
--
marurun

Post by marurun »

I thought Grandia was pretty fun on the Saturn. But I understand the US voice acting and translation sucks balls on the PS, so I guess I can understand bailing.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ott0bot
Next-Gen

Post by ott0bot »

marurun wrote:I thought Grandia was pretty fun on the Saturn. But I understand the US voice acting and translation sucks balls on the PS, so I guess I can understand bailing.

Actually I've heard much worse. I didn't mind the voice acting as much as I did on Star Ocean 2 or Suikoden Tactics.....talk about horrible. And as far as the translation, it seems okay. I only played the first 2 hours so far and no big typos or horrible grammatical errors. Not that I'm a scholar or anything like that! :mrgreen:
marurun

Post by marurun »

The Japanese voice acting in Grandia was some of the best I've heard on a console RPG.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
gennss
128-bit

Post by gennss »

marurun wrote:The Japanese voice acting in Grandia was some of the best I've heard on a console RPG.

yeah voice acting i don't remember it being terrible i just kept getting lost in the first town couldn't figure out what to do.
--
Gennss
--
sakicfan84
24-bit

Post by sakicfan84 »

gennss wrote:
marurun wrote:The Japanese voice acting in Grandia was some of the best I've heard on a console RPG.

yeah voice acting i don't remember it being terrible i just kept getting lost in the first town couldn't figure out what to do.

God games where I have to f' around with the camera to navigate really piss me off sometimes :evil: :evil: :evil:

I actually really like Grandia and Breath of Fire 3, but having to rotate the camera to see was just blah.
X-Fire: ezsblehman
Peffico
24-bit

Post by Peffico »

Welllll when it first came out Pokemon red and blue had a pretty awesome battle system that became so successful it's being used on tournaments around the world :D.