Lack Of Uniformity In Genesis Artwork

Discussion of scanning, archiving, and printing things such as magazines, manuals, video captures, and game covers
cabrando
24-bit

Lack Of Uniformity In Genesis Artwork

Post by cabrando »

What do you guys do about this to display your Genesis games?

I've been buying boxed games and they look terrible on the shelf. I went to TheCoverProject and they have some that are done in a custom template that is more uniform, but nowhere near enough.

Do you just display them w/o the boxes?
Reverend
Next-Gen

Re: Lack Of Uniformity In Genesis Artwork

Post by Reverend »

The carts I have in boxes are displayed in box. It's not too pretty, but it works.
Xonticus
128-bit

Post by Xonticus »

I hate to say it, but I have a spot in my heart for those crappy Genesis cover art disasters.

It gets uglier when you have the checkered older genesis boxes mixed with the red ones, and then also mixed in the with 32x yellow boxes. Throw a dash of Blue sega cd long boxes and the grey/white USA Saturn cases and you've got a rainbow started. The Master System box art was the most uniform throughout imo, and was very minimalist which was a good idea, versus some of the NES stuff that came out.

Anyways, I just say embrace the diversity! That's what helps make the older games more memorable to me.
Got: Atari 2600, Atari 7800Pro, Commodore 64, Odyssey 2, Sega Master System, NES, Genesis Models 1-3, Nomad, Game Gear, Sega CD Model 1, Sega 32x, SuperNES, GameBoys, GameBoy Pocket, GBC, Sega Saturn Model 2, GBA, Nintendo 64, Playstation, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 2 Slim, Nintendo DS Lite, Xbox 360, Gamecube, PS3 Slim
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

Post by Dakinggamer87 »

Xonticus wrote:I hate to say it, but I have a spot in my heart for those crappy Genesis cover art disasters.

It gets uglier when you have the checkered older genesis boxes mixed with the red ones, and then also mixed in the with 32x yellow boxes. Throw a dash of Blue sega cd long boxes and the grey/white USA Saturn cases and you've got a rainbow started. The Master System box art was the most uniform throughout imo, and was very minimalist which was a good idea, versus some of the NES stuff that came out.

Anyways, I just say embrace the diversity! That's what helps make the older games more memorable to me.

Yep. I just try and match them up as best as I can.
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
wa27
8-bit

Post by wa27 »

I don't have a lot of Genesis games, but I try to keep them separated by color. I hate the red barber-pole design.

Also, screw the cardboard boxes. I've only got a couple but who the hell thought those were a good idea?
Attachments
genesis games 2010-02-24_small.jpg
genesis games 2010-02-24_small.jpg (122.62 KiB) Viewed 3314 times
brickiemart
24-bit

Post by brickiemart »

I keep all my Genesis carts in their box (if I have them) and group them by basic categories. First old school black cases like Ghouls and Ghosts and Space Harrier. Then the red ones, like Phantasy Star 4, Earthworm Jim, then the old EA ones, like Faery Tale and Kings Bounty. Finally the miscellaneous colored boxes at the end. It's not perfectly uniform, but I like the look of it, especially with white Master System games at the front
softwhere
24-bit

Post by softwhere »

I do mine alphabetically, it looks weird though. I mainly collect them cart only though if it saves money.
Home Consoles: SAMSUNG Super Gam*Boy(Korean Genesis), Sega Genesis Models 1 and 2, Sega CDX, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Sony PSOne, Sony PS2, Xbox 360+HD DVD,Nintendo Wii, TurboGrafx 16, Atari 2600 VCS, a Commodore 64, and a Neo-Geo MVS 4-25.

Handhelds: Neo Geo Pocket Color, Gameboy Micro, Nintendo DS Lite, N-gage QD, Game Gear, Sega Nomad, PSP and an Atari Lynx.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I do it alphabetically using UGCs and covers from TCP. So there's a mix of the old-style black checker with the new style red box. And then there's MUSHA, which has it's own cover completely that doesn't comform to the templates.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Jungell
24-bit

Post by Jungell »

I think the trick lies in getting the right shelf. As of now, my Megadrive collection ain't big but I have the same problem with my horrorfilm collection. I noticed that if you've got an ugly shelf, you need to organize your games/movies in a way that looks good. But if you get a good looking shelf that is dominant, a thick and dark one, like this;
ikeahylla_35457202.jpeg
ikeahylla_35457202.jpeg (6.62 KiB) Viewed 3141 times

Then you can sort them any way that you want without it looking weird because the frame of the shelf creates the pattern instead of it's content.
"Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. I'm off to play Sega"-HAL 9000
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

I do it like brickiemart. As for the cardboard cases, I print out the cover art and put them into hardcases. And hide the cardboard boxes far far away. I'm planning to do this for my 32X games eventually, if I can find the actual cover art.