Anyone here play Spectral Force 3?

Level up here
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

Anyone here play Spectral Force 3?

Post by Flak Beard »

There is definitely a lot of negative reviews surrounding the game, but it honestly looks decent to me. I can deal with the simpler graphics, mediocre storyline and production values, just as long the mechanics and leveling are fun. The Nightmare of Druaga didn't exactly get universally praised, but I really enjoy it. I'm just looking for something simple, strategic and fun.

So my questions are...

1) Are you able to suspend a battle and pick up where you left off later?
2) How long is the game on average and how difficult is it?
3) Do most battles drag out for a long time? Or is this a game you could pick up and play for 30 minutes if you liked?
4) Do you get a fair amount of achievements for tackling the main quest? Like 400 - 500 or so? It's not that important, but I like to get at least half the points from each game I play.

Sorry, it's quite a bit of info I'm looking for. Any details on these would be greatly appreciated. :D
dlmvii
Next-Gen

Re: Anyone here play Spectral Force 3?

Post by dlmvii »

I would also be interested in any input.
It would be a cheap investment as well, since It's only 20$ brand new at amazon (and undoubtedly cheaper elsewhere). I downloaded it a while back out of interested, but only played the first mission which wasnt enough to really get any opinion.
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

Post by Flak Beard »

dlmvii wrote:I would also be interested in any input.
It would be a cheap investment as well, since It's only 20$ brand new at amazon (and undoubtedly cheaper elsewhere). I downloaded it a while back out of interested, but only played the first mission which wasnt enough to really get any opinion.

Yeah, I might just take a gamble considering the price. A local shop here has it for around $13.
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

Post by Flak Beard »

Screw it, I just went ahead and bought the game. It's pretty decent so far, just don't expect any flash. I'll post more impressions when I get the chance.
dlmvii
Next-Gen

Post by dlmvii »

Please do :) I've heard a lot about game freezing in it as well, hopefully that isn't as much of a problem as some make it out to be
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

Post by Flak Beard »

I haven't encountered any freezing yet, or any glitches for that matter. I did install the game to the HDD, so that probably helps.

It appears you can't save while in battle, but all the ones I've done so far have been less than 20 minutes each. I actually died on the first "real" battle, but mainly because I only had two characters and didn't pay enough attention to my healer. All the other battles have been pretty easy to beat.

The story is ok so far, and I haven't heard any voice acting that's really horrible. The cut-scenes are done with stills though, so nothing too exciting there. This is a very heavy menu driven game, so all your shopping, equipping and team management is done that way. I'm ok with that personally.

So yeah, it's a pretty basic tactics game but I think I'm going to like it. I find myself already thinking about what kind of team I want, and how I plan to min/max my characters.
dlmvii
Next-Gen

Post by dlmvii »

Assuming you've had a bit of time with the game, would you recommend it, given the budget price?
I'd hate to pass on it now, and have it become more difficult to find down the road in a year or two
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

Post by Flak Beard »

I'm about six hours in now and I'm enjoying it quite a bit, much more than I had expected. I'd pick it up if you can find it for under $20.

Help me keep this thread alive! :wink:
dlmvii
Next-Gen

Post by dlmvii »

Well, it was listed on ebay for 14.99 w/ free shipping, so i decided to pick it up. Hopefully I like it as well :)
Flak Beard
Next-Gen

Post by Flak Beard »

Cool, definitely let me know what you think. :D