The Walking Dead tv series

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Luke
Next-Gen

Re: The Walking Dead tv series

Post by Luke »

emwearz wrote:Still boring to watch, no matter how you spin it.

That's why a tag and payoff are so important. Boring can be good if it leads to a payoff.

Almost every Eddie Murphy joke is boring as fuck until he hits the tag and then drops a comeback. That's how writing works at its best.

Not to be an ass, but the fact you even have the opportunity to watch television is pretty incredible.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

I have to agree with Luke here.

And you guys don't seem to take the mindfulness route :lol: Namaste.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Anyone who thinks this is a great episode needs to reconsider their career as a writer. It was predictable and full of cliches.

And there was ZERO payoff in this episode. NOTHING exciting happened. That's just called BORING TELEVISION and you don't need a degree in writing to figure that out.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

I agree that it was fairly predictable. Of course being that it's a flashback and we know that Morgan comes out of his crazy funk, it couldn't help but follow a pretty expected route.

Still, it actually contained characters that didn't spend the whole time blurting out their exact feelings on everything, which was a nice step forward. The cage story and payoff was satisfying. Of course we basically knew that Drew Carey's brother would die by the end of it, but instead of twisting that somehow, they did pretty much the most cliche thing possible and had him get bit during a stupid maneuver, like so many other characters.

But the small details made this episode (the cheese, the drywall art) unfortunately it was saddled with the mission of delaying the current timeline cliffhangers in a very shallow "Terrence and Phillip special" way that guarantees it will go down in infamy instead of being appreciated as a nice supplementary story.
Fragems
Next-Gen

Post by Fragems »

It was a decent episode but it was just not what most people were expecting especially given the doubts left at the end of the previous episode. Plus there is the fact that they promoted the crap out of the fact that it was 90 minutes as opposed to the regular 60 which probably lead most people to believe that it was going to be some sort of climax as opposed to a flashback explaining a single characters back story. Overall it just felt like a big fake out to toy with the people wondering about Glenn and that's what it will probably be remembered for.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Fragems wrote:It was a decent episode but it was just not what most people were expecting especially given the doubts left at the end of the previous episode. Plus there is the fact that they promoted the crap out of the fact that it was 90 minutes as opposed to the regular 60 which probably lead most people to believe that it was going to be some sort of climax as opposed to a flashback explaining a single characters back story. Overall it just felt like a big fake out to toy with the people wondering about Glenn and that's what it will probably be remembered for.

This has been a pretty mean spirited season so far. It literally does feel like they are fucking with the audience.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Gamerforlife wrote:Anyone who thinks this is a great episode needs to reconsider their career as a writer. It was predictable and full of cliches.

And there was ZERO payoff in this episode. NOTHING exciting happened. That's just called BORING TELEVISION and you don't need a degree in writing to figure that out.

Please stop your irrepressible stupidity, as you become seemingly stupider which each post you send in this thread.

No. I'm not a writer of film. I write music. I also review and punch jokes for a studio that rhymes with Munibursal. Your review, kindly, is criminally horrible as you do not understand what a build up is and contains, especially when it comes to the content of the show.

Need I remind you of your post about Glenn?

Read no further if you do not want to be insulted a tad more.

The payoff you do not believe to exist, is right in your face. Perhaps you need to get your eyes and ears examined. Or perhaps you watched the episode three monkey style. The coincidences, be they common or serendipitous reflect Morgan's view on death and life. As those views change, so does his character...so does the story. Wounds are reopened, knowledge is gained, suffering and acceptance meet at a cross road. There are no coincidences besides Morgan meeting who he strives to be, with and without guidance.

The tag that will eventually come will not only make this episode even better, but will complete Morgans story and provide closure for his family's death and will leave him in peace.

Or he just gets eaten alive.

Either way, when watching a series you need to ask yourself not "is this boring?" but "is this going somewhere?". A successful show that demands your attention and interest demands the latter.

Hence the cage that is unlocked. That was no mcguffin, and quite an exemplary plot device. It is unfortunate you don't see the incredible writing, albeit a tad drawn out, but all you do is whine and complain like a four year old with a barely scraped knee, so, we're used to it. Keep complaining about great stuff, and I'll be happy to keep telling you why you jump an unloaded gun.

And I smile from ear to ear while I type this as I know you will be watching TWD this coming Sunday with your ass half off your couch,
Last edited by Luke on Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

Well that was harsh.

I like the part with the goat.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

Jrecee wrote:Well that was harsh.

I actually don't mind. I like Luke letting everyone see what kind of person he is
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Luke
Next-Gen

Post by Luke »

Jrecee wrote:Well that was harsh.

That was a tender lesson.

Did the episode drag a bit? Yes.

Did the writers intend for the show to drag? Yes.

Do people who know nothing of writing need to shut up? Yes. Yes please.

My basic rules is:

Did the show/movie/etc provide the content it meant to?

SAW has a terrible cast, bad premise, but does what it sets out to. I don't like it that much, but it meets expectations. CHARLIE'S ANGELS is a much more pretty movie, but has zero clue of what it wants to be. Weakling of a movie. Great boobs, but I don't think the intention was to show boob teases for ninety minutes.