What are you playing?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Re: What are you playing?

Post by Sload Soap »

Jagosaurus wrote:@Soap, I was just reviewing the SNK 40th game list. Nice write up.

I think I'm about to deep dive into some of the recent arcade ports to console. I'll personally be on XB1. The ACA Neo Geo library looks to have great reviews. Game list:

http://www.hamster.co.jp/american_hamst ... neogeo.htm

Cheers. We live in a great time as far as access to SNK games goes and not just the usual Metal Slug/King of Fighters/Samurai Showdown we've always had. I've got a few of those ACA releases on my Xbex and the combo packs on PS4; ADK Damashii, Fu'un Super Combo and the Art of Fighting Anthology. All good stuff and well ported.

@prententioushipster, I love that Christine sends that fake picture it's so dopey considering she's a talking goat.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

PretentiousHipster wrote:Got to this part in Link's Awakening. This is just wrong. The last straw of crossing lore together. It's like a fanfic.

Well...

it IS a dream, after all...and, I really like those touches back in the ‘90s.
outlaw_moon
24-bit

Post by outlaw_moon »

FFIX on PS4. I purchased it when it was released and finally started playing this past weekend. Lots of nostalgia with this game :D
It's time to kick a$$ and chew bubble gum...and I'm all out of gum.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Jagosaurus wrote:@Note, I'd think that mode trigger button + B for weapon swap would make it a more seamless experience. I haven't played the game so I'm not sure how often you're weapon swapping. XYZ I see as convenient bonus. Been on my list to test for forever. I may finally visit this one this year.

Yeah, that method sounds like it'd be faster. There are shrines with puzzles that require frequent weapon swapping. Also, most of the weapons you find have a limit on how many times you can use them, so it's something you want to be strategic about. Definitely play this game when you have the chance, and when you do -- report back! Would like to hear your thoughts on it.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Beaten Link's Awakening. I actually liked the ending. It evokes the child-like nature of the zelda series which I like the most. Although I feel like the horror aspect of Majora's Mask works because it's child-like on the surface with the horror underneath being the contrast. That's also why I didn't like the overall mood of Twilight Princess, but both games I have to replay (well... pretty much the entire series). Changing the items often was annoying but that's just the limit of the hardware at the time. It was also the most challenging Zelda game I've played so far. I just feel like the introduction didn't draw you in well enough. There's also the fact that every time you bump into a rock it gives you the same message that you can't skip. It's the same thing with the crystal that you can break with the pegasus boots. The bosses talking to you just seemed weird too. The powerups were a great idea, but it was annoying hearing that song over and over again, especially when it replaces the better songs. I also loved how overpowered the boomerang was. Still, I did have a blast playing this. I'd give it an 8/10. I won't make a video review for it as I played an emulated copy, but I will save the footage for a zelda ranked video if I achieve the goal of beating all of them.

My retrotink came in. The package was clearly tampered with :lol: the customs at the border probably saw a chipboard and thought it was a bomb or something. Turns out it needs a mini hdmi to hdmi cable so I will have to buy one tomorrow.

Perhaps for the next Zelda game I should play the first one? For NES titles I did play the first super mario bros, and this came out a year later. I will also play some King's Quest games eventually to compare how the 80s were for pc vs console for 1986. Perhaps I'll try out Starflight as well. From my research I assume that the first Zelda must have been mindblowing when it came out. I mean, it's the first game where you were able to save. That alone says enough.

This is the good thing about being a noob with a hobby, especially with one like this, music, films, or literature. There's so many awesome things to look forward to.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Zelda II!! That’s the next one you should play. It has some adamant defenders, myself included, here on the forum. If you’re thinking of playing through the first Zelda game again, I think you should very seriously consider emulating the SNES Sattelaview remakes. Here’s a short article on them:

https://zelda.gamepedia.com/BS_The_Legend_of_Zelda

They’re not hard to find online. You should also consider The Ancient Stone Tablets, which is totally awesome:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kotaku.com ... 933007/amp

When I reviewed it last year, I compared it favorably to Four Swords, and I enjoyed it tremendously.

I just can’t quit Elminage...I’ve mapped three floors of the penultimate dungeon, and I continue to get good new equipment and complete quests. One quest, however, kicked me in the bottom last night, demonstrating that the game still offers some challenge. (I still think my party is a bit too powerful.). Specifically, after completing a quest by filling some chalices with blood in the Hadaar Valley, I accidentally awakened some sort of ancient evil. It is a Dragon Centaur, apparently, and I can only get to it with two characters, as opposed to six, in my party. It’s confused at the start of the battle - yay! - but it gets to attack four times per round - boo! - meaning that despite its confusion, it still wipes the floor with me pretty quickly. (It’s equipped with two sets of +2 Dragon Claws, and it uses a powerful petrifying breath attack twice per round. It also uses a miasma wave attack, which halves the HP of its targets each round, which is great when it accidentally hits itself, ot so great when it hits me. Oh yeah, it also recovers 600+ HP between rounds. So, awesome.) Going to have to grind up some levels and gear, I guess!

On the bright side, both my lord and my bishop have reached high mastery, meaning that they will start becoming exponentially more powerful with each level from here on out. Only my summoner and servant are still in relatively low levels, but I suspect I will be able to power-level them in the final dungeon or post-game. (If I can recruit some better monsters with my summoner, I may bring him to the dragon centaur battle since having a summoner monster on my team would be like having three party members . The problem is that the summoner, by himself, can’t do much; so, it may end up being like having two party members, one of which I can’t control...worth a shot at least if the quest gives me too much more trouble.)

Finally, and since a few of my characters are named after my children’s favorite stuffed animals, I used the game’s custom character portrait feature to add pictures of a stuffed teddy bear and stuffed otter to the game. They’re so cute, and it always brings a smile to my face when the game displays a picture of well-loved stuffed animal delivering a devastating blast of fire magic to a hydra, vampire lord, hellmaster, zombie giant, etc. The stark contrast between the default, detailed, dark high-fantasy monster portraits and my homespun character art is both jarring and hilarious.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

I actually never played the first Zelda before. Yea I know, I have a lot to catch up on lol. I did read about that remake, and perhaps I could try it out as a curiousity.

An online friend on a film forum told me that Zelda 2 is getting a cult following now and is very polarizing. I own the cartridge of that one as well. I think I'll play the first one (an SD one), then an HD Zelda, then a handheld one, and repeat. I'll do the first Zelda as the first SD, and then Zelda 2 as the next one. Not really looking forward to the last few HD Zelda games though. I remember Twilight Princess trying to be all adult and grim with an adult Link which didn't suit it at all, and the wolf stuff was done better in Okami. Skyward Sword was all backtracking and milking out the use of the wii motion plus controls. But, it has been like a decade since I've played them so who knows what I would think of them now.

I will definitely play The Ancient Stone Tablets. Not sure if I'll make a video review of it as it's emulated, but then again that is the only way to play it.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I always forget Ancient Stone Tablets was a thing. I really need to play that. Maybe I'll look for a repro cart.

Zelda II is indeed polarizing. It was also my first Zelda game back in 1987, so I kind of love it.

Regarding HD Zeldas... have you played Breath Of The Wild? Because, oh my.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

I have played it on the wii u shortly after its release. One of the few games I played during that decade. It is definitely above the standard open world RPG. The world doesn't feel empty because every 1 or 2 minutes there's something to do. The fact that enemies drop their weapons is a great detail that many RPGs lack. They do the standard tower trope for maps and quick travel, but they actually make climbing them interesting with their various puzzles or obstacle courses regarding them.

Only minor complaints are that the shrines can get repetitive, the dungeons were underwhelming to me, and because I'm a hoarder and didn't wanna lose my great weapons near the end I just avoided all enemies. Still, it was amazing and I can't wait to play it again.

I should note that I was born in the early 90s, and my first console was the New-Style Super NES which I think came out during the N64 release, so NES games are a bit before my time.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

yeah, the lack of true "dungeons" is kind of weird. And I personally hated (A) cooking food, and (B) weapons breaking. But any complaints aside, it's easily one of the my favorite games like... ever.