Together Retro, Jan 20: 2010 RETRO!

Join in on our classic gaming club!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro, Jan 20: 2010 RETRO!

Post by noiseredux »

TEKTORO wrote:Hey brother! Help me pick a game or two. Some I own but still haven’t played in a long time.
-The stuff I own: Fable 2 & 3, Bioshock 2, Metro 2033, Perfect Dark, Skate 3, Toy Story 3, Halo Reach, Fallout New Vegas, Borderlands, Dragon Age Origins.

-What I don’t have But wanna try: Dark Void, Battlefield Bad Company 2, Assassins Creed 2, Splinter Cell Conviction, Alan Wake, Mafia 2, Lost Planet 2.

Of the things you own...

Dragon Age: Origins is great. Borderlands is very good, though easily eclipsed by its sequel. The Perfect Dark remake, I can't really speak on... but I did just recently pick up the N64 cart and expansion pak, so I'd be interested to hear someone talk about it as I plan to play the original soonish.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

PD Remake is a blast, finished with a friend a couple years ago and it's the definite way to play it for sure.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Perfect Dark is great but it's not a remake like Resident Evil. It's just a very well polished HD port with online multi-player so it's not really a 2010 game.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

Sload Soap wrote:Perfect Dark is great but it's not a remake like Resident Evil. It's just a very well polished HD port with online multi-player so it's not really a 2010 game.

IMO it's a VERY different experience when you compare with the N64's original, i think you can go either way really, as a 2010 release or a enhanced way to play the 2000's classic. 8)
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

I dunno, it's still the same game it's just shinier and runs better. It is essentially still a game from 2000 and there are so many other 2010 games to pick from. Earthworm Jim and Sonic Adventure also had 2010 re-releases but I wouldn't count them either. But that's just me, I'm not going to start my own boards over it or anything. Or am I?

Of Tektoro's list I would recommend Assassin's Creed 2 or Bad Company 2 if you can get into a decently populated multi-player game.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Just finished Darksiders while I'm home sick from work. I'll have a more detailed review up later, but it's a pretty solidly "just okay" game from beginning to end. I guess I can see how some people really enjoy its particular brand of visual design and grimdark, but it fell pretty heckin' flat for me. The story is paced SO badly (almost nothing until a TON near the very end) and is otherwise quite disappointingly shallow considering where they could've taken it, the combat has a fair few options but just mashing X and dodging occasionally is your best bet, puzzles range from super easy to tedious. It's trying very hard to be both God of War and Zelda and not doing a great job at either, and you're better off playing either of its inspirations instead, quite frankly Xp
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I've sort of semi-defended Other M. I can see the things in it that I like. I can see that there's actually a good game buried underneath it all. I can even kind of enjoy the bad decisions made from the perspective of someone who finds the development process interesting. But here's the thing - here's why I know I don't actually like the game: I'm not playing it.

I haven't touched Other M in a week. Admittedly, it's way more convenient for me lately to play games on portables so that I'm not hidden away in my game room away from my family. But having said that, I can usually find some time throughout the week to go sit and there and play something. But when I've thought about doing so with Other M, it just sounds tedious to me. Then I think about the limited gaming time I have and I'm like "well, if I go in there I should maybe play something I'm more excited to play..." and then I get a sort of choice paralysis and find myself just playing Overwatch instead.
PretentiousHipster
Next-Gen

Post by PretentiousHipster »

Yea I'm kind of have the same case with Red Dead Redemption. It definitely overstayed its welcome and I only play it for like 30 minutes a day. I looked it up and I have 18 missions left to do, so it'll take a while. I also have toe experiment with being evil, although it'll make me feel really guiilty, and I have the Undead Nightmare DLC to play. I have a feeling that I'll only be able to complete this game this month.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Splatterhouse finished! My put up my review, but my goodness that was even better than I thought it would be. I really HAD forgotten a lot of that game :lol: . It's not perfect, but if I had to choose one to replay right now, I'd pick this over Darksiders any day of the week XP
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Michi
Next-Gen

Post by Michi »

Popped in Heavy Rain last night for a couple hours. I was initially confused by the 'difficulty' settings. But after a little while I realized the game's more of an interactive VN more than anything else and that most of the difficulty revolves around QTEs, so I knocked it down to the easiest setting so my patience and sanity wouldn't be tested.

I've only done the first couple chapters, but so far it's been pretty nice. The story is a little sparse at the moment, but I'm sure that will improve once I get past all the character intro chapters.
Last edited by Michi on Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.