Together Retro 2017 Calendar - FINAL

Join in on our classic gaming club!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Together Retro 2017 Calendar - FINAL

Post by Exhuminator »

nullPointer wrote:Even if it was run as a separate informal 'community event thread' I think it would be a worthwhile endeavor.

Whoops, missed this post earlier.

I'm glad you agree. Perhaps in December I will create a thread for the concept, and see if anyone participates in it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

the more I think about it, the more I really like the idea of these nebulous themes rather than specific titles. I don't know if it makes more sense to do seasons or quarters or months, but it's definitely an interesting idea. It could really mix it up and get some interesting discussion going based on the various themes picked.

Like imagine:

Jan - Phantasy Star Series
Feb - Atari 2600 games
Mar - Capcom 90's arcade games
Apr - games that make you think of Spring
etc

To go back to my original suggestion, maybe Racket could ask twelve of the more active posters to pick a month or whatever so spearhead. That person could pick the theme for the month and plan to try to keep conversation moving in the thread? It could even be looser than that. Racket could pick someone to lead the January thread, so say he picked Exhum. Then Exhum could nominate the member who'd run the Feb thread. Given that the themes are so loose, I don't even know if we'd need to announce the full calendar ahead of time.

I don't know. I'm just spit-balling here. Let the details work themselves out haha.
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

noiseredux wrote:the more I think about it, the more I really like the idea of these nebulous themes rather than specific titles. I don't know if it makes more sense to do seasons or quarters or months, but it's definitely an interesting idea. It could really mix it up and get some interesting discussion going based on the various themes picked.

As someone who never participated in TR but is now working up a list of games to strike off the backlog as a New Year's resolution, I think this idea is the best choice. This way, more members would have a game that fits, and it could lead to great discussions comparing similar games. I plan on participating in TR next year as much as I can, and it'll be much easier for me if this is the way it's laid out.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I vote for January = 8-bit action-RPGs
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Exhuminator wrote:I vote for January = 8-bit action-RPGs

I *like* this post.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

chuckster wrote:
noiseredux wrote:the more I think about it, the more I really like the idea of these nebulous themes rather than specific titles. I don't know if it makes more sense to do seasons or quarters or months, but it's definitely an interesting idea. It could really mix it up and get some interesting discussion going based on the various themes picked.

As someone who never participated in TR but is now working up a list of games to strike off the backlog as a New Year's resolution, I think this idea is the best choice. This way, more members would have a game that fits, and it could lead to great discussions comparing similar games. I plan on participating in TR next year as much as I can, and it'll be much easier for me if this is the way it's laid out.

Well that would definitely be something that is just a forum thread and nothing else. It would be an interesting experiment. It would cut down on the experience of sharing a certain game with other people, but it could help people discover other games in that sub-genre.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Racket, do you have another vision for how you'd do it as something more than a forum thread? I mean, I think we should do something in 2018, but I also think it has to be tweaked from the traditional TR formula.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

noiseredux wrote:Racket, do you have another vision for how you'd do it as something more than a forum thread? I mean, I think we should do something in 2018, but I also think it has to be tweaked from the traditional TR formula.

I don't have a distinct vision, but I think something does need to change. I think we either need to do the old formula, but less frequently, or take a forum-only approach.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Maybe you should start a thread specifically asking for feedback on this? It's possible that this conversation is being missed since it's just in the thread for the 2017 calendar.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

noiseredux wrote:Maybe you should start a thread specifically asking for feedback on this? It's possible that this conversation is being missed since it's just in the thread for the 2017 calendar.

Here we go
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=51787